* Chasingame Home  
* Donate to Chasingame

Chasingame.com discussion forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Primos DPS SD/SDHC card
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:43 pm 

I was wondering what brand/size/class SD cards Primos DPS camera owners were using and have ran for a week or more in the field no lockups? I can't get any 16GB card I own to run more than a day or two and not lock up. The cards that are working well are the PNY 8GB class 4 and sandisk 8GB class 2 cards they run without issue. I would like to use a 16GB card but can't get one to run I am thinking this camera is going to need a firmware update of some type. I have tried 8GB class 4,6,10/ 16GB class 2,4 and 32GB class 4 SD card. So far only two of my 8GB cards will run in the DPS without locking up. I like the DPS camera it's priced great,simple to use, very nice size and design. The card thing is not good though right now I will have to run the 8GBs that work which limits how long I can leave the camera unattended.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:45 pm 
Site Supporter

Is your 16gig Class 2 a SanDisk or other brand? Just curious because my nephew is look to purchase a DPS and I'm waiting to see which cards work the best.

'12 SPYPOINT BF-7 x2 (Replaced one in 2014)
'12 SPYPOINT IR-W-B (Replaced 2014)
'12 RECON VIPER HD (Replaced 2013)
'11 DLC COVERT DUECE
'11 PRIMOS DPS x2
'11 PRIMOS TC60 BO
'10 PRIMOS TC46
'09 SPYPOINT IR-C
'07 MOULTRIE D40

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:58 pm 
Site Supporter

I have two DPS units and both are running good with 16GB Adata class 6 SD cards,no problems at all. I bought them from Newegg's email subscriber's sales. I think you can get them for $25 with free shipping and around $20 if you can catch them on sale. I think they are pretty high quality and rate 5eggs as far as thier customer reviews.

Bushnell- NV-439,576,
Covert- 2x-Black 60,
Primos- 4x-DPS,
Uway- 2x-VH200B,NX80-HD,
Scoutguard- 550,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:15 pm 

The bigger GB cards I have tried are Sandisk 16GB class 4, and a 16GB maxflash class 6, PNY 32GB class 4 all lock up. I ordered two 16 GB sandisk class two cards but they turned out to be class 4 when I looked at them last night. I thought the were class 2 like I had ordered on Amazon but class 4 16GB came in the mail instead. The PNY 8GB class 4 cards I have from B&H video are the ones working the best right now the haven't locked up yet. I like the DPS its really small which makes it easy to hide,battery life seems to be holding up well I expect several weeks with the 10AA setting I am using, setup LCD is super easy. If it wasn't the cam being so SD picky I would be 100% happy with the DPS for the price. I have several Plot Watcher Pro's they are a notch above in overall performance but they cost over twice as much to. Cosmos24, how long have your 16GB cards ran(days) with issue and which delay setting you are setting your cams up ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:50 pm 
Site Supporter

code1 wrote:
The bigger GB cards I have tried are Sandisk 16GB class 4, and a 16GB maxflash class 6, PNY 32GB class 4 all lock up. I ordered two 16 GB sandisk class two cards but they turned out to be class 4 when I looked at them last night. I thought the were class 2 like I had ordered on Amazon but class 4 16GB came in the mail instead. The PNY 8GB class 4 cards I have from B&H video are the ones working the best right now the haven't locked up yet. I like the DPS its really small which makes it easy to hide,battery life seems to be holding up well I expect several weeks with the 10AA setting I am using, setup LCD is super easy. If it wasn't the cam being so SD picky I would be 100% happy with the DPS for the price. I have several Plot Watcher Pro's they are a notch above in overall performance but they cost over twice as much to. Cosmos24, how long have your 16GB cards ran(days) with issue and which delay setting you are setting your cams up ?

Code, I have pulled the cards on both cams before they had a chance to fill and checked to make sure all was goin well and everything has always checked out well with the 16GB adata cards. I just pulled one yesterday that had ran 8 days in aa10 mode and was still showing a full battery and still taking pics. I haven't actually let one run out of battery yet due to all the testing and impatience that I have. I have ran the Adata's enough now that I wouldn't be scared to order a couple more to change in and out in the field. I can tell the writing to the card seems a tad bit quicker with the 16GB 6 class card verses the 8GB SanDisk class 2 that I tried. I also like the aa10 mode to save battery and watch more open areas and will probably be the main mode that I will use. Also thinking of putting them in my actual hunting spots and running them on the aa5 mode when it get a little closer to bowhunting season. I would really like to try one of the Plotwatchers but I just cant push myself to buy one since the DPS came out.

Bushnell- NV-439,576,
Covert- 2x-Black 60,
Primos- 4x-DPS,
Uway- 2x-VH200B,NX80-HD,
Scoutguard- 550,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:30 am 

cosmos24, On the PW Pro it's 90% of the same vs the DPS but the PW Pro just is alittle more refined to me. The overall construction seems more solid, alittle better image clarity/FOV, more custom settings for delay on/off time, better camo and no flashing red LED, and the PW Pro also gives me about 20 extra minutes of footage in the morning and 10 minutes more in the evening which is prime movement time for game animals. If you read Anthonys review on the DPS he sort of ask the question is the PW Pro worth the price when you can get two DPS cams for around the same cost? For some people I think the answer is no for others it would be yes. I ordered another PW Pro from custom1 yesterday so I think it's worth the extra money and I still like the PW software better than the DPS software its just faster to review footage. That doesn't mean I don't like the DPS it's a cool cam and I really like the mini size low profile shape,good battery life it's giving, and good footage overall. I think if Primos listens to customer feedback maybe does a firmware update to address the SD compatibility issue, adjust the cams light sensor for alittle earlier start time and later end time, camo that black stripe down the front of the camera for better camo in the woods, and last figure out a way to hide that flashing red LED(I am using camo tape) it would up the stock for the DPS camera. Those small improvements listed would really bring it closer to the PW Pro and at that point I would have to think real hard about spending twice the money on the PW Pro vs the DPS.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:37 pm 
Site Supporter

code1 wrote:
cosmos24, On the PW Pro it's 90% of the same vs the DPS but the PW Pro just is alittle more refined to me. The overall construction seems more solid, alittle better image clarity/FOV, more custom settings for delay on/off time, better camo and no flashing red LED, and the PW Pro also gives me about 20 extra minutes of footage in the morning and 10 minutes more in the evening which is prime movement time for game animals. If you read Anthonys review on the DPS he sort of ask the question is the PW Pro worth the price when you can get two DPS cams for around the same cost? For some people I think the answer is no for others it would be yes. I ordered another PW Pro from custom1 yesterday so I think it's worth the extra money and I still like the PW software better than the DPS software its just faster to review footage. That doesn't mean I don't like the DPS it's a cool cam and I really like the mini size low profile shape,good battery life it's giving, and good footage overall. I think if Primos listens to customer feedback maybe does a firmware update to address the SD compatibility issue, adjust the cams light sensor for alittle earlier start time and later end time, camo that black stripe down the front of the camera for better camo in the woods, and last figure out a way to hide that flashing red LED(I am using camo tape) it would up the stock for the DPS camera. Those small improvements listed would really bring it closer to the PW Pro and at that point I would have to think real hard about spending twice the money on the PW Pro vs the DPS.

Code, Do you have the original PW to go along with PW pro ? I would like to hear how you think that it stacks up to the DPS cam. I could see maybe getting one of the first generation PW since the price should be within 20 to 30 dollars more than the DPS. I know the battery life is not as good on the plain PW, but if I can get 10 to 12 days of pics , or close to what the DPS gets, that would be enough to please me. I think all the little things that you mentioned that you liked a little more about the PW , that i would rather pay the 20 to 30 dollars more and get the original PW,if I plan on buying another timelapse cam in the future. I guess I am asking which would you choose between the orignal PW, or the DPS? I probably will buy at least one more time lapse this year,as I really do need another :mrgreen:

Bushnell- NV-439,576,
Covert- 2x-Black 60,
Primos- 4x-DPS,
Uway- 2x-VH200B,NX80-HD,
Scoutguard- 550,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:14 pm 

I have several of the old model PW's as far as picture clarity it's about the same as the new Pro model. There are some major differences though mainly the old PW uses USB drives vs SD cards like on the DPS/PW Pro, the battery life is much shorter on the old PW,and the old PW has to be setup on a computar haveing no LCD like the DPS/PW. That said the old PW is a soild unit mine have gave me zero issues they run like tanks. The battery life is 8-12 days(summer/winter) setup at pic every 10 second with 4 hour mid day rest. Overall the old PW is a nice unit but the short battery life is a draw back it gets old after while. If you check your camera every week its no big deal but if you leave it out 2 weeks at a time the DPS would be my choice mainly do to the battery life issue. I think Day6 took alot of customer feedback and then released the new PW Pro it has most all the changes I would have made myself on the old model. From SD card slot, LCD for field programing, 12vt external battery jack for battery/solar panel, much better battery life using AA's,8 AA holder and a even better housing design. The image clarity seems to be about the same old to new model.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:28 am 
Site Supporter

I was looking in th eDPs FAQ pdf on Primos support site at at the bottom they give suggestions for users experiencing card issues, here is the link in case you havent already seen it. Might be worth trying their sugestions.

http://primos.zendesk.com/attachments/token/akkiylpkvsx15lq/?name=DPS_FAQ.pdf

'12 SPYPOINT BF-7 x2 (Replaced one in 2014)
'12 SPYPOINT IR-W-B (Replaced 2014)
'12 RECON VIPER HD (Replaced 2013)
'11 DLC COVERT DUECE
'11 PRIMOS DPS x2
'11 PRIMOS TC60 BO
'10 PRIMOS TC46
'09 SPYPOINT IR-C
'07 MOULTRIE D40

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:49 pm 
Site Supporter

Code, Thanks for your reply. I think you helped talk me out of buying a PW due to having to use a flash drive and not being able to set the modes without being on a computer,if I understood that correctly :shock: . I guess the DPS is really a good deal if you don't mind a few quirks here and there.

Bushnell- NV-439,576,
Covert- 2x-Black 60,
Primos- 4x-DPS,
Uway- 2x-VH200B,NX80-HD,
Scoutguard- 550,

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:10 pm 

So has anybody gotten a 32gb card to work in the DPS? If so, what brand and model?

My DPS is locking up with a 32gb SanDisk, class 4.

If you want to use this camera for security, then you don't want to turn it off mid-day and therefore you need a 32gb card. We were just gone a week. I hid the DPS by the gate. Came home and only had 2 days of pictures. DPS had turned itself off. I don't know why a "bad" card would cause the camera to turn off.

ScoutGuard 560K-8M

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:14 pm 

I tried two different PNY 32GB class 4 cards they both locked the camera up with 1-2 days. I tried a sandisk class 4 16GB it locks the camera up also. I have had good luck with the PNY 8GB class 4 and I am going to try a 16GB class 4 PNY this week sometime. I have a max flash class 6 16GB that has ran with no issue also.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:55 pm 
Site Supporter

code1 wrote:
I tried two different PNY 32GB class 4 cards they both locked the camera up with 1-2 days. I tried a sandisk class 4 16GB it locks the camera up also. I have had good luck with the PNY 8GB class 4 and I am going to try a 16GB class 4 PNY this week sometime. I have a max flash class 6 16GB that has ran with no issue also.

Code, that's whats working for me also, a 16gb class6 adata card. I have used them in two different DPS's without any problems whatsoever.

Bushnell- NV-439,576,
Covert- 2x-Black 60,
Primos- 4x-DPS,
Uway- 2x-VH200B,NX80-HD,
Scoutguard- 550,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:52 pm 

I have tried class 4 for sandisk 16 and 32gb and pny 16gb and they lock up. I am now trying a class 2 card. I spoke with Primos "clark" and he says that all of the cards should work. I think Primos doesn't realize the problems they are going to have with the sd cards and the DPS. The first card I tried was the 32gb and it worked for 1/2 day. Ill keep you posted.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:04 pm 

It doesn't make sense to me. If a card works for 1/2 day or 2 days, then the card must be properly formatted.

I sent my 2 32gb SanDisks back to NewEgg. I paid more for them than I did the DPS. When I get my refund, I'm trying the adata that cosmos likes. Although he's only using 16gb cards, figure I'll be brave and get 1 32gb and 2 16gbs. But by the time I receive my cards and know they work, it'll be a few weeks. We do need to keep posting until we all know what works in this thing. I guess we're Primos' tech research team.

ScoutGuard 560K-8M