* Chasingame Home  
* Donate to Chasingame

Chasingame.com discussion forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Leupold RCX-2
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:15 pm 

Received an Leupold RCX-2 from Cablelas on 07-21-11 and it is all packed up and ready to be shipped back on 07-25-11.

My camera did not operate just like the review from ChasinGame. Same issues; it does not even take pictures or videos.
I trouble shooted the camera by using 5 different SD / SCHD cards, changed the batteries, and tried every different setting.

Very disappointed, I was very excited and it seemed like a solid camera. I guess you can't judge a book by it's cover!

I am sending it back for the same camera, I will repost when I test the new one.

I do have faith in Leupold.

Post subject: Re: Leupold RCX-2
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:48 pm 

Any other reviews on this camera

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Let us know how your second unit functions.

Our store front: http://shop.chasingame.com
Scouting Assistant Software: http://www.scoutingassistant.com

Disclaimer: For those who do not understand any of my posts, I have good intentions so plz do not take it the wrong way. If in doubt, just pm me. Seems I am considered "unpolished" when it comes to "talking nice & politely" :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:55 pm 

I have had the exact same problems. We have purchased two cameras RCX2 to date. Just spent all of last night trying different SD cards, settings, etc. I can get no pics or videos. The sensors and flash all work fine, but the camera will not either take pics or write the the card. Strange thing is I can pull out the SD card from the camera and by viewing the card through the computer, there is the innitial or a single set of pic(s) on the card. The viewer will not recognize this pic that is on the card. The viewer functions because I can take a card from a digital camera load into the view and it picks up these pics fine.

I have a third camera being sent today (the previous two are my son's) I am wondering if this camera in general is faulty or if there is just somthing I am missing. I can not imagine this many problems with the general population of cameras. I am going to call Leupold on monday, but in the interm, I thought I would try this blog. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bill has a good gathering of a series of like issues involving this camera. As far as we know it is still a factory work in progress.

Disclaimer: For those who do not understand any of my posts, I have good intentions so plz do not take it the wrong way. If in doubt, just pm me. Seems I am considered "unpolished" when it comes to "talking nice & politely" :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:34 pm 

I assume Bill works for Leupold?

Are there any SD Card compatibility issues that you know of?

Also, I am curious if the RCX will be software upgrade-able. I can not imagine all of these faulty cameras being returned.

Not much info out there for this camera. I have searched and searched for additional information.

Leupold troubleshooting section of the manual states that if your camera is not taking pictures it could be a sd card issue and to refer to their site for a list of approved sd cards. At this point I am unable to find any such list.

Just putting this stuff out there to see if anyone has had any similar problems.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bill is my father in law and partner on Chasingame. We share testing analysis.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:53 pm 

Thanks for the info.

Can you tell me what cards you used for your testing in this camera? I have tried sandisk, panisonic and pny, class 2 and class 4 cards.

I am new to trail cameras, are they able to have software patches done without sending them back in?

I have a 3rd camera I received today and I am trying to decide if I should unpackage it and give it a go.

I sure do appreciate this site and the information sharing, keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:09 pm 

Just got the camera to work by setting the resolution to 0.3.

I can not get video yet, and I am going to start increasing the resolution until the camera will not read to the card.

it seems like a card speed issue to me now. The card used is PNY 8G class 4 in the camera and a Sandisk 8G class 4 in the controller.

Anyone with similar stories would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:05 pm 

Photo and video both work great with the lower res settings. I think the biggest problem with this camera is the manual. There should be way more information contained in the manual outlining the limitations of sd cards etc.

I have put a lot of time figuring out this camera, I would have saved a great amount of frustration and time if more information was available.

I hope that the information I have provided saves others from the frustration I have experienced. Again I am greatful I found this site and my thanks to those responsible for its content.

I am once again confident in Leupold products and I look forward to others input and the growing information on these camera systems. I am sure these cameras will eventually become recognized as a great Leupold product.

I would sure like to know for sure that the high speed sd cards are what is needed for the high resolution pictures and video. Look forward to your comments.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:58 am 

Well I can say I tried the sandisk high speed cards but to no avail. I too looked for the list of specific cards to use on the website and was unable to locate. When I receive my 2nd camera back I will try setting to a lower resolution. If that is the case I will inform leupold. Problem is that we are buying a camera that was advertised with specific functions at a cost to the consumer. Received a Bushnell XLT Black three days ago spent less than a half hour with it and it is now in the woods. Same price with one more function plus less a controller. But willing to give the RCX a shot!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:48 am 

I'm a big Leupold fan but I must say, it's sort of embarrassing that they released such a poor quality trail camera.

I expected better from them and I'm sure the problems will eventually be corrected but they should have known better than to release these cams without the proper testing.

Off topic:

Leupold makes some of the finest small hunting binocs I've ever tested. If you ever get a chance, view the 6x32 Leupold Katmai. I've run multiple Alpha glass including 4 different Leica Ultravids, a Duovid and a couple Swaro El's and I reach for these little Leupold gems whenever I go out archery hunting.

Also, if you need a good pair of truck binos or a cheap pair for kids, give the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 a shot. Not waterproof but exceptional clarity and a great bargain for around $100.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lets see....one of the most famous names in the outdoor industry hooks up with the chinese camera industry...what could possibly go wrong? :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:04 am 

lolol

Keeping my mouth shut on that one. I've already had a timeout.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:59 am 

rrroae wrote:
I'm a big Leupold fan but I must say, it's sort of embarrassing that they released such a poor quality trail camera.

I expected better from them and I'm sure the problems will eventually be corrected but they should have known better than to release these cams without the proper testing.

Off topic:

Leupold makes some of the finest small hunting binocs I've ever tested. If you ever get a chance, view the 6x32 Leupold Katmai. I've run multiple Alpha glass including 4 different Leica Ultravids, a Duovid and a couple Swaro El's and I reach for these little Leupold gems whenever I go out archery hunting.

Also, if you need a good pair of truck binos or a cheap pair for kids, give the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 a shot. Not waterproof but exceptional clarity and a great bargain for around $100.

I am going to have to respectively disagree. Their outsourcing of their binoculars has ended up with bad quality. I sent many pair of their non-USA made binoculars, including the Katmais. The can not even come close to the Swaro glass. Take a pair of Leupold binos and look into the sunset so the sun is not directly in view but on the outer perimeter. You will see some very bad halos and hazing on the Leupolds but not on the swaros! This is the ultimate test of quality optics for a hunter and Leupolds fail miserably. You can also do this test with moonlight. Now try hunting with the Leupolds after sunset but before dark. The red tint in the skyline also causes it, even after the sun has set. Since this is the prime time to hunt, this is where I expect them to perform. I still own a pair of Leupold Northforks. I ended up with these after starting out with their lowest price binos and kept upgraded until I ended up with decent quality. Well, I never did get that quality I was looking for and still have the halos and hazing at twilight. This was their top of the line binos at the end of last year. They no longer stock USA manufactured binos and they clearanced them out last year. This year, they are also not even offering the Northforks, so their 2011 offerings are not even the best that comes from overseas! Leupold has gone downhill really bad and I have been a loyal customer all my life. They are so bad now, that they don't even repair your returned item and just replace it with another product with poor QC.

-1 Bushnell 2011 119466 Black Flash Trophy Cam
-1 CamLock Heavy Duty Box (Bushnell Black Flash Series)
-3 CamLockBox HD Swivel Mounts