Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.

Moderator: johnnydeerhunter

By mikeinkaty
#221087 Has anyone noticed getting better signal strength when using a security box? Neither the Code Black or the UM562 have a ground plane. Putting a small piece of aluminum foil under the rubber duck antenna will increase the strength by at least 1 bar. But, that's with the foil making contact with the brass threads on the antenna port. If you aren't seeing a better signal with a security box then its because the box needs electrical contact with the brass port. A tiny wire wrapped around the threads and electrically connected to the box should work.

Also, a half wave rubber duck antenna (7" long) will have better chance for a higher signal strength than a quarter wave antenna (3.5" long). Can't just stick any antenna on them though. They have to be for cell phone frequencies (850 & 1900 MHz).
By Loland
mikeinkaty wrote:Has anyone noticed getting better signal strength when using a security box? Neither the Code Black or the UM562 have a ground plane. Putting a small piece of aluminum foil under the rubber duck antenna will increase the strength by at least 1 bar. But, that's with the foil making contact with the brass threads on the antenna port. If you aren't seeing a better signal with a security box then its because the box needs electrical contact with the brass port. A tiny wire wrapped around the threads and electrically connected to the box should work.

Also, a half wave rubber duck antenna (7" long) will have better chance for a higher signal strength than a quarter wave antenna (3.5" long). Can't just stick any antenna on them though. They have to be for cell phone frequencies (850 & 1900 MHz).

Could you show a picture of the antenna with the foil, please?
By mikeinkaty
Loland wrote: Could you show a picture of the antenna with the foil, please?

No, my cam is on duty 500 miles away. But, cut a piece of aluminum foil into a circle of 3.5" diameter. Punch a small hole in the center then press it over the antenna port then screw the antenna back on tight. That should show an increase of about 1 bar in signal strength.

If using a half wave antenna then make the foil 7" diameter.
By Ol' Arky
#221166 2011 Covert Special Ops MMS red flash..... 2012 Covert Code Black MMS black flash...
By Passingthrough
mikeinkaty wrote:
Loland wrote: Could you show a picture of the antenna with the foil, please?

No, my cam is on duty 500 miles away. But, cut a piece of aluminum foil into a circle of 3.5" diameter. Punch a small hole in the center then press it over the antenna port then screw the antenna back on tight. That should show an increase of about 1 bar in signal strength.

If using a half wave antenna then make the foil 7" diameter.

I wish I had known this a day sooner. I went 200 miles to my hunting area to set my Code Black up, but it couldn't pick up service. I had 2 bars on my cell and even talked on it in the bush. Dissappointing to say the least.
By T-post
#221195 That's correct, the Code Black is new for 2012.
By Passingthrough
#221201 Does Covert make an antenna with better reception/strength?
By T-post
#221204 I think that I've seen an optional antenna on their website. dlccovert.com

I may have the wrong link....I can't easily check right now, as I'm feeding my horses and replying via Tapatalk. ImageImage
By fx4hauler
#221210 I put out my Code Black last weekend and was impressed with how bright the night pics are and how good the transition pics are. So I just ordered a second Code Black. My Ltl is going on Ebay.
By T-post
#221214 You're right, the flash is very impressive! My Code Black is about 15 feet away from a feeder; I actually had to put my flash on the low setting....I'd never of guessed that would be the case with a black flash. :shock: :P
By NantucketShedHunter
#221217 I wish my Black 60 had a lower flash setting than the lowest. 99.999 percent of my sets are in the thick stuff where the deer are 5-10 feet from the camera. The camera has a super bright flash when set on low.
By T-post
#221221 Perhaps a layer of the camo tape from Custom1 would dim your flash.
I'm not sure if this is the stuff:
http://www.custom1enterprises.com/custo ... es_006.htm
By mikeinkaty
T-post wrote:I think that I've seen an optional antenna on their website. dlccovert.com

I may have the wrong link....I can't easily check right now, as I'm feeding my horses and replying via Tapatalk. ImageImage

That antenna is in the Covert Accessory page: http://www.shop.ducklickcreek.com/Boost ... k-2533.htm

That is a magnetic mount antenna. I would cut some steel sheet metal into 4"x8" then bend it in half and drill holes in one side for mounting in trees. Make several and just keep one in each of your favorite locations. The metal will act as a ground plane for the antenna. Without a ground plane I doubt it would show any signal strength?? Magnet mount antennas are made for automobiles and depend in the metal in the roof to serve as the ground plane.

Hmmm, on closer look, that appears to be a full wave antenna. That would require a 14"x14" ground plane??? Before you buy it call them and ask if it is magnet mount and how big of a ground plane is required. If they don't know what your talking about then maybe you should look around a bit.