Trail Camera Discussion of Manufactured Cameras.
By jmckins
#236423 What are the thought on this camera? I have land in Ohio and trying to monitor the buks from South Carolina. Is this the best satellite camera on the market? Anthony, do you plan on reviewing this camera? Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance!

Jared
By swat1018
#236425 It's a great camera using the emerging technology. It operates with a SIM card, as used in a cell phone. That being said, the downfall for most is poor cellular service coverage in the area you wish to use the camera. I use AT&T and an optional antenna to get about 80% transmission rate from mine. Overall, it's a great camera and I am pleased. Covert customer service is tops in the game camera industry, in my opinion.
By mapman
swat1018 wrote:It's a great camera using the emerging technology. It operates with a SIM card, as used in a cell phone. That being said, the downfall for most is poor cellular service coverage in the area you wish to use the camera. I use AT&T and an optional antenna to get about 80% transmission rate from mine. Overall, it's a great camera and I am pleased. Covert customer service is tops in the game camera industry, in my opinion.

I second this...have two cameras out. Great tool for determining rut activity in a specific location... If I see increased daylight activity, I take off work...
By jmckins
#236429 Thanks....since I am a ways from Ohio how is the battery life....do they have solar panels or 12volt hookup?
By kenfa04
jmckins wrote:Thanks....since I am a ways from Ohio how is the battery life....do they have solar panels or 12volt hookup?

They have a port for an external battery. Haven't heard of anybody running a batt life test yet.
By fx4hauler
#236450 I use a 4.5 Ah external battery. I move my cameras around a lot and switch out cards and battery's when I do so I've never got to do a battery test but I did get 3500 pics and text and the battery gage showed the battery fully charged.
By mikeinkaty
#236463 I think Ohio is mostly Verison country and they DO NOT use the GSM technology used by the Covert Code Black. Check your exact area for cell phone providers. AT&T and T-Mobile use the right GSM technology.
Last edited by mikeinkaty on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Ol Arky
#236476 1st thing, the Code Black isn't a satellite camera... It works of cell phone technology...

I've had my Code Black out for a while and it still shows 9 bars on the battery scale... Runnin' it with a 12AH 6V SLA battery and a 6V solar charger... I was lookin' at it day before yesterday and yesterday and the sunlight to the solar charger is not as good as I thought it was but it still is workin'... I use the extender antenna and so far have recieved every picture the camera has taken gettin' 1 to 2 bars signal strength on the camera... Usin' AT&T and get some 4G signal and sometimes get E signal on my cell pone at the camera location...

I like miy Code Black and have had no problems with it... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
By Buckfevr
#236676 I think they're great cams. I got a buddy in Ohio is running 2 and he needed the booster antennas in some cases and then it was fine. I know there are some reported issues with the ultimate lithiums but I'm running mine with them and they're both still firing away, since early August. I wouldn't hesitate.
By Anthony
#236678 We reviewed this camera: Uway UM562
http://www.chasingame.com/index.php?id=246

This is a red flash mms camera made by the same company in China. I am assuming the mms function is equal or better on the code black camera.
By swat1018
#236700 I have the extended antenna, the SLA battery and solar panel. It has been running that way since labor day weekend with still full charge. I think it will run indefinitely with this set-up in my application, only getting 8-10 pics a day.
By mikeinkaty
swat1018 wrote:I have the extended antenna, the SLA battery and solar panel. It has been running that way since labor day weekend with still full charge. I think it will run indefinitely with this set-up in my application, only getting 8-10 pics a day.

Ditto with my UM562. Running since Labor day without changing the internal batteries or recharging the external. The solar panel keeps the external 6V battery at full charge so the internal batteries haven't been used yet. I'm anxious to see what it does when it's down to 0° F.

I did switch to a larger solar panel when the days started getting shorter. The 1st one was 9V and the one now is 12V. 12V is fine because in full sunlight it only delivers about 150ma to the battery. Also, I'm using a Yagi antenna that has about a 12db gain. Not only will an external antenna give better connection, but the better connections results in using less battery power because of having to retransmitt less.
By fx4hauler
mikeinkaty wrote:
swat1018 wrote:I have the extended antenna, the SLA battery and solar panel. It has been running that way since labor day weekend with still full charge. I think it will run indefinitely with this set-up in my application, only getting 8-10 pics a day.

Ditto with my UM562. Running since Labor day without changing the internal batteries or recharging the external. The solar panel keeps the external 6V battery at full charge so the internal batteries haven't been used yet. I'm anxious to see what it does when it's down to 0° F.

I did switch to a larger solar panel when the days started getting shorter. The 1st one was 9V and the one now is 12V. 12V is fine because in full sunlight it only delivers about 150ma to the battery. Also, I'm using a Yagi antenna that has about a 12db gain. Not only will an external antenna give better connection, but the better connections results in using less battery power because of having to retransmitt less.

Mike Where did you get your Yagi antenna? I'm thinking about changing to a Yagi next year for better connection but the Yagi antennas that I've seen on line seem kind of pricey.
By mikeinkaty
fx4hauler wrote:
mikeinkaty wrote:

Mike Where did you get your Yagi antenna? I'm thinking about changing to a Yagi next year for better connection but the Yagi antennas that I've seen on line seem kind of pricey.

I made mine. They are pretty simple to make. Just gotta have the right measurements.

http://www.k7mem.com/Electronic_Noteboo ... _feed.html (discussion)
http://www.k7mem.com/Electronic_Noteboo ... quick.html (dimensions)

Use 850Mhz for the frequency. 3/4" for the boom diameter (I use a thick wall non-metallic PVC pipe, Schedule 40 or 80). Use 1/8" (0.125") for the element diameters ( I use #8 copper wire that I straighten out. Any non-corrosive metal will work.). Use the defaults for all the other parameters. Get a metric measuring tape and print out the dimensions in metric. Trust me, it will be a lot easier to lay out the measurements using mm instead of inch fractions.

http://www.mikeinkaty.com/DSCN0005.JPG I've made several. This latest design is about the simpliest to make.