Trail Camera Discussion of Manufactured Cameras.
In the old days most manufacturers offered a white flash camera (incandescent). The benefit of this flash is color pictures at night with almost no motion blur.

The negatives are that it consumes a good bit more battery power than IR and is very visible and may also spook game. I have watched a white flash camera go off and seen the deer run away so I know it will spook them.

Yes deer will overcome this fear or tolerate most anything to get at a salt block or food source but without these attractants they may simply avoid the area.

The question remains though... Is there still a place in the market for white flash. Cuddeback seems to think so and Boly Media has a White flash/IR hybrid.

I have always felt that a commercial manufacturer should make a white flash high end camera with a focus on image quality. The issue is will it sell? No company wants to make a product knowing there is very little market for it.

What are your thoughts on the future of white flash technology for the hunting market? Do we need it?
I don't use white flash for hunting . I use it for taking color pics of the different critters that come up on my cabin porch at night to sit or sleep, like bobcats or mountain lions. The strobe flash is the only one that takes sharp clear color pics at night verses white LED. The only problem with the products offered in the strobe cameras right now is they are not very good quality wise. I don't think the white flash spooks the deer any more than the red blob from what I have seen. I think there is a market for strobe but it would be small. this is jmo.
MFDC3222.JPG
MFDC3222.JPG (566.05 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
MFDC0117 (0).JPG
MFDC0117 (0).JPG (576.49 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
11.29.16.1.JPG
11.29.16.1.JPG (557.01 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
MFDC1415.JPG
MFDC1415.JPG (569.99 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
MFDC3751.JPG
MFDC3751.JPG (582.37 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
I prefer a white flash. Moultrie makes a good one except for the high power consumption. I have to run it off a external battery or it would be to costly buying 12 AA lithium every couple months
What improvements should be made over the Moultrie or the Cuddeback to improve on this type of camera?

Are you referring to poorer build quality in general that would apply to IR cameras as well, or would you be willing to pay more for higher quality CMOS or CCD sensor if image quality can be improved for both day and night ?
I would like a bigger flash and fewer batteries on the Moultrie in a smaller cam size. Scoutguard is able to have a bigger flash on 8 batteries with much better battery life in a small size, downfall being 20 sec between pics and the remote. I'm cheap and don't like to go over $100 on a cam, so the quality I want may be more than I would spend.
What if the costs of making a high end strobe/white flash camera makes the camera more expensive but the results are good. Would the resulting camera be too unattractive from a price stand point ?
I like the idea of a white flash camera. I purchased one recently (Reconyx WR6), but it's too soon to form an opinion on how wildlife in my area reacts to it. As a side note, I have had some large bucks, and also coyotes, react negatively to the red glow of my other cameras.
The main reason I use home brews is the white flash on the daytime pics you don't have to hope for perfect natural lighting to get a quality picture I am after a good picture not just one to see whats out there No commercial cams have forced flash options.
I'm a big fan of white strobe flash cameras. The new generation, such as the Moultrie, doesn't seem to take the same quality of night pictures as it's Grandfather, the M40. But still, I applaud Moultrie for offering the option in their current line of cameras.
One of my hunting buddies has a couple of old Cuddeback strobe flash cameras that are still working perfectly; his picture quality is actually on par with some homebrews. Last weekend he was showing me some awesome night pictures of bobcats and coyotes, as well as some nice bucks.

I'd really like to have a white strobe cellular camera!!! :P

We're in Texas...hunting feeders, so there's no issues with the cameras spooking the deer at those locations.

Here's my experience with deer being spooked by the flash on a camera located away from a feeder, on a remote trail:
Red blob flash = the most spooked
White led = not much better than red blob
White strobe flash = very little chance of spooking the deer
Black flash = true stealth and concealment

If I'm deep in the woods, wanting to see what elusive giant buck may be lurking, I'll play it safe and use a black flash.

At a common gathering / social site, I'll use a white flash strobe.

Pat
I am in a similar situation... I live in the middle of a city, but a wide, well-fenced alley runs behind our house (Fremont, CA, alley is actually Hetch-hetchy aqueduct). We've always known we get some amount of wildlife in our yard, because the waterway provides relatively easy passage for them... but until we put the (Scoutguard) camera back there, we had *no idea* !!!!

Unfortunately, getting proper lighting from that device was always kind of tricky; it *loves* to produce images that are washed out with either darkness or glare... but it *did* give us our first images of the raccoons, possums, skunks, squirrels, cats, birds, and other creatures that inhabited our yard at night!!

Here is one of my favorite images from that camera, before it finally died:
We don't leave food out for visitors, but we *do* leave water, both in the fountain (shown) and the water dish (occupied!!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/derelllicht/15334861988/
I have used white flash cameras for years and prefer them for shooting over feeders/feeding spots. I find that only the oldest wisest bucks are spooked, and then even rarely. They only appear after the peak of the rut in my area, anyway.

I started with the cheap Tascos, which I repaired when the capacitors broke. Since T-cameras do not last and I have had mine grow legs and disappear, I prefer slightly older versions and less expensive cameras. I currently have three HCO scoutguards 565s, and only 1 works. The broken cameras were bought from Ebay, and were probably broken when I got them. I also have 2 Stealth 42g, and they show the infrared blur at night. My latest camera is an Zstar/Eyeleaf SW0080, 940nm Ir camera. It was mid-$40 camera. All these were bought to replace my original Tascos, which lasted for several years with some cap replacements.

I am still looking for a low cost and long lived whit flash camera. My preference at this point is the SG565f. Anyone tried the hybrid version, and how long does it last?
Anthony & other 565F owners, there have been a series of Boly565F cameras selling on Ebay with no reserve. I have gotten 2 at this point and will report if these are defective once received.

I am curious if others are seeing these cameras for sale and whether they are defective. I'm interested because the last 2 had night time pic issues, no flash. I haven't diagnosed past that to see if it is the day/night sensor or capacitor or flash. I am leaning to sensor.

Anyone have a history with these cameras? As in my Tascos the weak component was the capacitor. As they aged the PIR becomes problematic, missing ever more pics.
Spartan 3G finally quit

Also don't think you'll notice a difference betwee[…]

This buck looks serious

It appears this guy made it thru the first weekend[…]

Yep, he's all business. I really like the microph[…]

Very Nice!