Trail Camera Discussion of Manufactured Cameras.
Sure come on down! Bring the whole family!!

This is an interesting topic. Since I do not have the cold weather this is very good information for us and everyone about the Lookout and cold tolerance.
I hoping your record is safe at -29f, that's getting a bit chilly for anyone or anything. The coldest temp I remember here was -39.8 F recorded by my weather station about 10 yrs ago.
I am fairly confident that the Lookout is stable in cold weather and that its your battery source that is more susceptible.

I think Lithium AA or external SLA is probably the better way to go in that kind of cold.
Screenshot_20190118-072407_RidgeTec Mobile.jpg
Screenshot_20190118-072407_RidgeTec Mobile.jpg (305.08 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
I thought my camera was out to lunch this morning and then I stepped outside and realized it got really cold overnight. The glow plugs turned on for a second on my truck even though it was plugged in all night. -37c or -34.6f. It's running off a 12v battery with a solar panel at the moment.
I'll have to watch mine... most of my other commercial cams don't record temps much under say 0F.... forgot what the number was...but it was annoying when i knew the temps were much colder than what they showed.
Saskboy wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:44 am I thought my camera was out to lunch this morning and then I stepped outside and realized it got really cold overnight. The glow plugs turned on for a second on my truck even though it was plugged in all night. -37c or -34.6f. It's running off a 12v battery with a solar panel at the moment.
I wish you Canadians would keep that cold weather up where it belongs :) First you get it, then send it down our way. In the next week its looking like mid -20's F will be coming our way. It was a bit chilly overnight.
temp.jpg
Add description
temp.jpg (108.21 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
A question for you cold weather Ridgetec boys. When it gets really cold -10F or lower, does your camera trigger and take random pics of nothing? Mine does at times, last night it was took 10-15 random pics when I remembered there is a manual PIR setting on the bottom of the camera. I went out and turned it to the lowest setting and that seemed to help somewhat but not always, I still get some. I know its not deer lurking on the edges of the cameras sensing range because I can see my camera and feeding area out my back window. I understand these are extreme conditions for any camera to operate in. And normally, I wouldn't even have a camera out in these cold temps. But I feel I was fortunate to win this camera and feel its kind of my duty to keep it running throughout the winter. And hopefully becoming a testimony of how well these cameras will function in these conditions. Like a old friend once told me, "any junk works when its warm". He may have been referring to a vehicle, but the logic is the same. So far in these cold temps the camera is performing great.
Last edited by reaperman on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
i hadn't broached it yet... but yes... i've had some spans of triggers where i don't see what it was. daylight...sometimes i figure real light changes... but nighttime.. not sure. may be something out of light range trigger... but some of mine... i just don't see doo dah... specially when it seems to be a series
I know the temp shown in the picture below is mighty cold, however, I'm pretty sure its not accurate. When I got the heartbeat image I compared the cameras temp with my Davis Vantage Pro, weather station. The weather station was showing -25f. The weather station and the camera are only about 80 yards apart. I'm not knocking the temp sensor in the trail camera whatsoever. The build of the cameras and design functions have a higher priority than the ambient temperature. Whereas a Davis weather station is built around superior accuracy with a hefty price tag.

Despite the cold temps the camera is doing an amazing job and functioning as it would in the summer. From time to time in the extreme cold it will snap off a couple of photos of nothing, just like in summer.
Image-1 (1).jpg
Add description
Image-1 (1).jpg (106.39 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
I feel terrible for leaving my camera outside in these temps but its a good test to see what it actually reads tomorrow morning when it is in the -30's F.
cold (1024x577).jpg
Add description
cold (1024x577).jpg (153.22 KiB) Viewed 2779 times
I haven't found false pictures in the cold, just possible signal problems. As soon as it hits -25 to -30s my one camera will do funny things and loose signal to the point where I have to restart it for it to communicate again. My main cold temperature camera has been down alot lately, it may be the fault of the external antenna though. It's in the -40s with the wind chill right now. My second camera in the city currently hasnt experienced signal loss due to cold other that today it dropped the signal in half for a very short while.
Fresh snow spike

We got a early storm that dropped 8" of snow […]

Nice! I see some of the white stuff already. The[…]

How many different bucks?

Here's four videos from last night. How many diff[…]

Scrape

Maybe high temp is keeping me from getting any scr[…]