Trail Camera Discussion of Manufactured Cameras.
I'm curious to see if the camera will show lower than -40F. Right now the actual temp is -30 at 11pm. So its bound to get lower by morning.
IMG_0227.PNG
Add description
IMG_0227.PNG (177.91 KiB) Viewed 3438 times
Last night.. .jives with temp reports from that area...
Attachments
PICT0402.JPG
PICT0402.JPG (77.53 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
Carphunter, where are you located? I'm guessing somewhere in the Midwest.

According to my weather station and other (pws) stations in the area we bottomed out at -32f. The photos taken last night and heartbeats read -40f. Tonight its suppose to get a few degrees cooler. I would post a photo, but instead I will set my camera to video mode tonight and post a video or two of the deer coming to my feeder.
Camera's in northern Wisconsin. That one will be a couple of degrees cooler than my other. It's in a lower part of the property adjacent that's always colder.
Saskboy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:33 pm I haven't found false pictures in the cold, just possible signal problems. As soon as it hits -25 to -30s my one camera will do funny things and loose signal to the point where I have to restart it for it to communicate again. My main cold temperature camera has been down alot lately, it may be the fault of the external antenna though. It's in the -40s with the wind chill right now. My second camera in the city currently hasnt experienced signal loss due to cold other that today it dropped the signal in half for a very short while.
Have you compared to the standard (packaged) antenna or a different external antenna in the very cold nights? As it gets colder what happens to your signal ?
From this morning in Southern Michigan.
SpyPointCold Temp (Small).JPG
SpyPointCold Temp (Small).JPG (69.43 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
In regards to Anthony's question I haven't been able to put blade antenna back onto the lookout I'm having problems with. It's been too darn cold and wicked storm last weekend kept me in the house. However when I ran 2 cameras in that spot the one with the blade antenna consistantly kept signal strength in the cold at the time. This weekend will hopefully be the chance I get to swap out antennas again. As for the concerns about temperature accuracy I have a remote thermometer in the same yard as my camera and they are always within a few degrees of each other. In summer time it shows way hotter than it really is due to the sun heating up the camera housing I've noticed.
My weather station hit a overnight low of -39f. I'm guessing the temp sensor inside the Lookout has a bottom range of -40. The Lookout, has consistently displayed a few degrees cooler than temperatures in my area. With the exception of last night where the ambient temperature caught up with the cameras low temperature range. In my opinion, for a trail camera to have a temperature feature isn't real important to me. Most important however is a cameras reliability and durability to take photos in most every condition. And the Lookout has definitely delivered this winter. Its been thru snow storms, freezing rain, and now low temperatures I haven't seen in 20 years according to the weather man. Normally I wouldn't even have a camera outside this time of year because I wouldn't expect them to function very well. I was hoping to get a few more videos to post from last night but the deer weren't as active as normal. The cold weather video shows no signs of the camera struggling in the recording process. No flickering of the LED's during the recording like I see a lot of with my other cameras which don't do well in video mode when its cold.

Not sure what is wrong with one of mine, I reset it on sunday and it was not talking again in less than 24 hours. I'm having trouble as soon as the weather is in the -25 to -30's. I changed to the blade antenna again and it appears signal was not dropping out like before, however while it's not talking to the portal it still took videos every half hour like it was set to before it went dark on me.
Saskboy wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:08 pm Not sure what is wrong with one of mine, I reset it on sunday and it was not talking again in less than 24 hours. I'm having trouble as soon as the weather is in the -25 to -30's. I changed to the blade antenna again and it appears signal was not dropping out like before, however while it's not talking to the portal it still took videos every half hour like it was set to before it went dark on me.
Was it taking videos of animals every half hour? I had to manually set my PIR sensitivity down to the lowest setting when it got super cold otherwise it was taking photos of nothing. Before I had a external battery I just had AA alkaline cells that died out the first night it got real cold because it was set to video mode and the camera's pir was set to high. The draining batteries couldn't handle the videos plus uploading.
No it wasnt a power problem as it's running on a permanent power source, I do run on medium or low usually to avoid false triggers. I swapped out my external antenna for the blade one again, still having issues but the signal seems more stable according to the heartbeats. Ridgetec is working with me on figuring out what's going on, so far it doesnt look like my second one is doing this. Only running double aa batteries on the second one and seeing how it will like a week of minus 30 weather. It's depressing how long it's been cold already lol.
Saskboy,

From what I understand some new info may have come to light and all your issues may not be related to the camera at all as you have replaced a camera, swapped antennas, swapped sd cards, used internal and external batteries ....

A recent log is showing that the network may be teetering on the verge of reception for two different carriers in your Canadian location and that this oscillation may be the cause of network failure.... as if your connection in midstream sometimes switches and your IP address may no longer be any good.

we are looking into this further and may have more than one solution.

As far as triggering on High sensitivity... in cold it becomes ultra sensitive (all camera will have better sensing) and you did the right thing which is to lower the sensitivity switch setting. My hunch is there was actually something beyond the field of view triggering the camera. Mine will regularly trigger on vehicles at 200 feet away. I can't say that I get any false triggers here.
YELP's new policy!

https://youtu.be/u6vL1LC8D_s

Fresh snow spike

Beautiful. Now just add 12 more points and it wou[…]

Nice! I see some of the white stuff already. The[…]

How many different bucks?

Here's four videos from last night. How many diff[…]