Use this forum to display your favorite kill shots no matter what the prey might be. Add before and after photos of the animal off your scouting camera or bow cam, etc. if you have them and please tell us about your successful hunt. Vendor & pro staff kill shots "featuring" products need to go in the vendor forum. Thanks! :-)
By Ol Arky
I've stopped postin' kill shots that are taken where of critters were they were kill cause I've been told that there is some way for computer savey folks to get the gps coordinates from ya picture ya've posted... :cry: :cry:

Is this true????? Cause I've got several kill shots of ducks we've been killin' but don't want to give up our spots to someone that can find um from the pictures.... :? :?
By Mjn1979
I would guess if the cam is capable of storing the coordinates,then yea it is possible I guess. None of my cameras have the ability to store coodinates to my knowledge,but I am pretty sure moultries have the option.
By Ol Arky
In other words if I, my boys or the folks we hunt with take pictures with our iPhones we should be ok in postin' um and not givin' up the location we are huntin'???????? :? :?

It is public land and hunted hard but we go the extra mile so to speak to kill out ducks... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
By Roscoe
I think there is actually a setting in your phone that dictates this Phil. I believe "location services" determines this.

Go to "settings" then "privacy" then "location services". See if location service are on or off and then click on location services (if on) to see what programs it's active for. I keep it off for camera and photobucket.
By Ol Arky
I'll just not post any to be safe... :wink: :wink:
By Ol Arky
It's pretty easy to safeguard with the above steps. :mrgreen:

Yep... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
By NantucketShedHunter
I think the Lat and Lon is in your metadata.

Here's what Roscoe is referring to. I shut the location service OFF for the camera on my iPhoney.

By nincehelser
I've stopped postin' kill shots that are taken where of critters were they were kill cause I've been told that there is some way for computer savey folks to get the gps coordinates from ya picture ya've posted... :cry: :cry:

Is this true????? Cause I've got several kill shots of ducks we've been killin' but don't want to give up our spots to someone that can find um from the pictures.... :? :?

Yes, it's true if your camera or phone has "geotagged" your shots.

Your options that I know of:

1) Don't post them (that's no fun)
2) Turn off the geotagging function in your cell phone or camera (safe, but someday you might want that data)
3) Remove or change the geotagged info in each picture before sending/posting/emailing (can be complex and time consuming)
3a) Mess with your frenemie's heads, and change the data to lead them astray, away from your hot spots, or into quicksand ;)
4) Check the privacy setting of where you're uploading the photos. Some will remove the data automatically, others will hide it if you wish.

Personally, I like to geotag my photos if I have the ability. I don't hunt deer, but I do hunt mushrooms. I like to record where I'm finding them for later analysis or to revisit specific spots days or maybe years later.

I also like to post pictures of my mushroom finds, but like you, I want to hide my hot spots, so any mushroom photo I publish/email/post, I make dang sure I "scrub" the data. So far that system has worked well for me, but it does take time.

My newer Moultrie cameras have a feature where I can manually enter the camera's coordinates into the camera settings so that each photo is geotagged. This obviously has good and bad points. If you move your camera's around a lot, it's nice as you know where your photos were taken. If your camera is more "permanently" mounted, you may just be advertising your camera's location inviting theft. You've got to be careful where you post those photos.

One big thing I like about getoagging is pulling up a map and seeing icons for the associated pictures you have come up with it. Also plotting your movements with a GPS is cool, too. It's a really powerful tool, but you have to be careful to maintain your privacy and secrets.
By mikeinkaty
You can remove the Exif data using Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer). Just right click on the photo, then click on Properties, then Detail. Down at the bottom of the screen click on "Remove Properties and Personal Information". Then you can select ALL or just the ones you want removed.

Mike
By btoeps74
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you post via a photo sharing site like photobucket, doesn't that get rid of location? I think the location service only works anyways on your own apple products for your own viewing and more than likely facebook.
By Anthony
Well, I just want to thank Phil for all the good duck hunting me and my crew have got in since he started posting those pics..... We tried to leave a few ducks for you Phil... :mrgreen:
By nincehelser
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you post via a photo sharing site like photobucket, doesn't that get rid of location? I think the location service only works anyways on your own apple products for your own viewing and more than likely facebook.

In Photobucket you have to set your preferences in regards to location data (i.e. geotagging). Like many sites, they give you a choice of who, if anyone, can see that data. Different sites have different policies on this kind of thing, so you have to check.

Geotagging is not an Apple-only thing. It's a standard that's been around quite a while. There may be other Apps using "Location Services" that are Apple-only, but geotagging photos isn't one of them. (I'm assuming the term "geotagging" is generic, but I'm not sure about that.)

As for Facebook, they automatically remove the geotagging info from the images. If you want the location to show on Facebook, you have to set the location info yourself in your post, or it might just generalize it to a specific place-name.
By Ol Arky
Well, I just want to thank Phil for all the good duck hunting me and my crew have got in since he started posting those pics..... We tried to leave a few ducks for you Phil... :mrgreen:

After I posted some last year we went back the next day and someone was in the exact spot we were huntin' the day before... :cry: :cry: Was that ya and ya crew Anthony???? :wink: :wink:

Yes, it's true if your camera or phone has "geotagged" your shots.

Your options that I know of:

1) Don't post them (that's no fun)
2) Turn off the geotagging function in your cell phone or camera (safe, but someday you might want that data)
3) Remove or change the geotagged info in each picture before sending/posting/emailing (can be complex and time consuming)
3a) Mess with your frenemie's heads, and change the data to lead them astray, away from your hot spots, or into quicksand ;)
4) Check the privacy setting of where you're uploading the photos. Some will remove the data automatically, others will hide it if you wish.

Personally, I like to geotag my photos if I have the ability. I don't hunt deer, but I do hunt mushrooms. I like to record where I'm finding them for later analysis or to revisit specific spots days or maybe years later.

I also like to post pictures of my mushroom finds, but like you, I want to hide my hot spots, so any mushroom photo I publish/email/post, I make dang sure I "scrub" the data. So far that system has worked well for me, but it does take time.

My newer Moultrie cameras have a feature where I can manually enter the camera's coordinates into the camera settings so that each photo is geotagged. This obviously has good and bad points. If you move your camera's around a lot, it's nice as you know where your photos were taken. If your camera is more "permanently" mounted, you may just be advertising your camera's location inviting theft. You've got to be careful where you post those photos.

One big thing I like about getoagging is pulling up a map and seeing icons for the associated pictures you have come up with it. Also plotting your movements with a GPS is cool, too. It's a really powerful tool, but you have to be careful to maintain your privacy and secrets.

I like option 3a best... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have turned off location services on my iphone and have reset my preferences in photobucket in regards to location data... I guess I'm safe to post a picture or 2...
By mikeinkaty

In Photobucket you have to set your preferences in regards to location data (i.e. geotagging). Like many sites, they give you a choice of who, if anyone, can see that data. Different sites have different policies on this kind of thing, so you have to check.

Geotagging is not an Apple-only thing. It's a standard that's been around quite a while. There may be other Apps using "Location Services" that are Apple-only, but geotagging photos isn't one of them. (I'm assuming the term "geotagging" is generic, but I'm not sure about that.)

As for Facebook, they automatically remove the geotagging info from the images. If you want the location to show on Facebook, you have to set the location info yourself in your post, or it might just generalize it to a specific place-name.

The image files are designed so that any program can put any descriptive info into the file that they desire. Standard naming practices have been adopted for the standard descriptive items. The header section of the image files are an 'open' format.

Mike
Spartan 3G finally quit

Why not use the AT&T store down the street?

Michigan, Brrrrr ...

I'm not sure if I'm suppose to feel good or bad af[…]

In the second photo, it looks like his rear legs a[…]

Still Chasin, limp and all.

https://youtu.be/IVgE_6HUWNg About the 4 and 6 se[…]