Post your favorite game recipes here. Include preparations like sausage, etc. Include any photos of the process if you have them ;) Enjoy !
Thanks. WE don't have BPS or Cabelas here in Augusta. I called Academy and they carry some of the hi mountain products but not the sausage mix, only the jerky mix.

I may have to go the DIY approach. Or call BPS in Atlanta area.

What happened to the BPS that was supposed to be coming there? I remember seeing a sign in Augusta when I was there in '09 about a future site for BPS.

I think we got the wrong president and that has more todo with it than anything.
Well I have spent all morning and early afternoon making sausage. I did not have a helper today (wife at work).

I used the Hi Mountain spices I ordered. I mixed a ratio of 80/20. 20% fat, that being smoked bacon.

I had to cut all the meat up off the bone then grind it. I then ground the bacon into a seperate bowl. Then in a large container I mixed the spices, meat and fat in thin laters. Then churned it thoroughly with my hands.

Total weight was 24lbs.

I then ran it all back through the grinder one more time.

I have to use the course wheel because it takes too long wit the fine one.

I just fried up a batch and it is VERY good. I toasted a hamburger bun in the oven, then put two patties of sausage on there with some yellow mustard. I then topped that off with slices of pickled jalapeno.

It was very good this way. like a spicy hamburger.... :D
I made a discovery though and only remembered too late. I use 80/20... 20% fat and all that was bacon. It made the sausage a bit salty... Last time I used 10% bacon and 10% fresh ground pork. I should have done that this time. Or you might buy the low sodium bacon....

I will have to thaw a pack and mix a bit of fresh ground pork in then make it into patties with this batch (24 lbs worth)
I made a discovery though and only remembered too late. I use 80/20... 20% fat and all that was bacon. It made the sausage a bit salty... Last time I used 10% bacon and 10% fresh ground pork. I should have done that this time. Or you might buy the low sodium bacon....

I will have to thaw a pack and mix a bit of fresh ground pork in then make it into patties with this batch (24 lbs worth)

Low sodium might be the ticket. The batches I made last year were 20% bacon, but I was not using a purchased seasoning mix, so mine might not have as high a content as the Hi Mountain mix. I'm going to give the HM a try this year. I'll go with the low sodium choice. I can always add salt if needed.
Man, that does sound good! :P

Do you normally use bacon in your sausage?

Pat, adding bacon really adds a nice smokey flavor to the sausage. I did it for the first time last year and will from now on.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly, I've been adding bacon to my sausage for over 20 years. I asked because I wondered if the practice was just common to us Texans, as I rarely hear of anyone else adding bacon.
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly, I've been adding bacon to my sausage for over 20 years. I asked because I wondered if the practice was just common to us Texans, as I rarely hear of anyone else adding bacon.

Honestly, I did it really on a fluke the first time. I had a big package of bacon ends. I was mixing it with ground wild pork to make burgers for the grille. Gives them good flavor and helps keep them from drying out. I still had some left over when it came time to make the pan sausage and thought what the heck...Jackpot! :mrgreen:
We (my dad and I) made about 30 lbs Saturday. Worked about 9:00 to 1:30, which included starting with a quartered deer in the refrigerator (had been in there since the previous Friday morning, we let them sit in the refrigerator about 6-10 days before processing them), cutting everything off the bone, making steaks from what we didn't grind, grinding, mixing, stuffing, vacuum sealing, and clean up. We use a mix from a local guy that makes pork sausage and sells it from a country store. He says the seasoning will do 20 lbs but we use that amount in 30 lbs and add a good bit of black pepper. Added 3 lbs of bacon and 4 large onions (the onions turn good sausage into great sausage, as long as you don't use too many). Ate a little bit to test before stuffing, and ate what was leftover in the stuffer for Sunday supper.
I was given a doe by my brother and bought some of the Hi mountain prairie mix. I need to know if it matters if the bacon is smoked or not. Also what brand of bacon? I am a picky bacon guy. Some bacon I dont like. I was thinking maybe some Sugardale thick sliced bacon with black pepper. Does that sound like the ticket? Not sure about the salty stuff. So I guess I need to just buy some ground pork (no fat) and add it with the bacon to get it right?

I never made sausage before, but man this sounds good.
I really don't know which brand but I think the smoked adds to the flavor and you want low soduim or else use some ground pork instead of bacon to lower the salt.

One packet makes 12 pounds. I made 24 so I used two packets. I made mine 80/20.

80% deer and 20% bacon. This is tasty but low fat. Believe it or not when you fry it in a pan you need a little oil to get it to brown as the fat just does not ooze out of it like you are used to.

What I did the first time was 80% deer, 10% smoked bacon and 10% ground pork. In that case I did not use low sodium bacon but I did use smoked.

.8 x 24 = 19.2 lbs deer
.1 x 24 = 2.4 lbs ground pork
.1 x 24 = 2.4 lbs smoked bacon
Thanks Anthony. I will for sure give it a shot.
I am doing a lot of 12 hour nightshifts at work now and wont see a day off in a loooong bit. But I will be sure to post the results when I get the time to make a batch.
Do you have a meat grinder?

Bill allows me to use his. What I do is grind all the deer meat first. set it aside. I then grind the bacon and run it through with the ground pork to integrate the two.

Then I needed a really large tub but used a card board box with a new yard trash bag on it as my container.

I spread a thin layer of deer meat, lightly sprinkle seasoning, then a layer or the bacon and more seasoning. I then use my hands (I wear rubber gloves) and mix and mix it up. I then repeat that until its all in there.

I then run all this back through the meat grind again so it incorporates well. The instructions on the spices say that you can mix that with water and mix with your meat but I did not do that. The recipe does however call for so much water to be added which I did while I was hand mixing it. It makes the sausage juicier.

I skip the stuffing into casings and just use freezer bags with portions enough for two people (maybe 8 patties worth). I thaw it, make the patties and fry them up.
Winter Badgers

Cool Vid! 8)

360 sphere with drone

That's pretty cool! 8)

https://youtu.be/UTl9C7xOZOA

https://youtu.be/xw4QixHsGLw