Use this forum to post questions and issues for discussion related to Reconyx cameras. Note: Please post threads pertaining to cellular cams in the "Cellular Trail Camera Discussion" forum.

Moderator: johnnydeerhunter

By joebiodiesel
#190519 Has anyone switched from lithiums to rechargeables on an RC60HO?
I check my cams pretty regularly, so battery life is not my ultimate goal, but I do need something that works well in cold weather. Has anyone tried C cell rechargeables in one? I imagine a good C Cell would outlast a AA lithium, but I've never checked the mah ratings of either...

Any advice appreciated.

Joe
By Sierra Guy
#190571 I use rechargeable NiMH C batteries and am still on the first set after two years. They have worked flawlessly but the temperatures in my area of California probably don't get near as cold as in New York. Typically, our lows are above freezing but occasionally dip into the 20's or teens. I usually recharge them when they get down to 65% and only have to do this every couple of months or so.

Jim
RC60HO
By cwensk
#190579 Rechargables are all I use in my Reconyx cams. Have had great luck with them. They will last for months/thousands of pix.
By swnoel
#190640 Been using RAYOVAC rechargables since I purchased the camera...

They are starting to get tired though, seem to need recharging sooner, maybe it's just me.
By slay
#190645 I got months of usage with the tenergy NIHMs when I owned one. It is very cold here in the winter usually...below sero and in the low teens a lot. They worked great.
By joebiodiesel
#190651 Excellent. Glad I asked.

Thanks for the replies.

Joe
By Karl Haemmerlein
swnoel wrote:Been using RAYOVAC rechargables since I purchased the camera...

They are starting to get tired though, seem to need recharging sooner, maybe it's just me.

Specifically which Rayovac rechargeable batteries, they make different types and sizes. Did you rely on the battery reading from the camera to decide when to swap batteries and recharge? If so, at what point would you pull them?
By SportsmanNH
swnoel wrote:Been using RAYOVAC rechargables since I purchased the camera...

Run those batteries through 2-3 consecutive conditioning cycles . I've read where some batteries had to be run through 5-6 consecutive cycles depending on their age . They say doing that will bring them back to almost new again.
The most i've heard of is 10 cycles for some batteries that were old and neglected . The 10 cycles brought them back to 85-90 percent and working fine holding their charge . They were well used batteries that went unused for a couple years .I think there were close to 100 of them and all but 3 were restored to working order