Use this forum to post questions and issues for discussion related to Reconyx cameras. Note: Please post threads pertaining to cellular cams in the "Cellular Trail Camera Discussion" forum.
By LibbyLA
How many times have cameras required multiple firmware updates? Or somebody updated more than one camera of a particular brand, but not on the same day? Probably just been lucky in the past.

Or blame it on misaligned stars :geek:.
By Roscoe
From Reconyx:

"Good Morning Ross,

This problem has plagued us since the beginning of user-accessible firmware updates, all the way back in 2006. Unfortunately there are no other options, as the firmware name has to be very specific in order to avoid any mishaps from incorrect files.

The best way to avoid the problem is to download the files directly to the SD card, or delete the files from your computer after completing the update. That way there are no duplicate files to deal with.

I do appreciate the feedback!

Regards,

Thomas"
By LibbyLA
Well, the money quote in that is that the firmware name has to be specific....
By swnoel
Unfortunately... my computer also has an additional file where it stores the download... something I didn't realize until Ross woke me up! So I have 2 files where it is stored not 1! I'll bet I'm not the only one that does the same!
By BBIMC
You can avoid the renumber issue by:

Right click file on Reconyx website
click save target as in dropdown window
Then put directly on SD card instead of computer
Rinse and repeat for second file

HTH
Mark
By Roscoe

HTH
Mark

I think you'll see a change in the firmware update instructions on the next round of updates at Reconyx.
By swnoel

HTH
Mark

thanks .. I'll remember that!
By scdeerslayer
This probably isn't an issue with other cameras because other manufacturers probably don't look for a specific file name, but rather the beginning of the file name or an extension. I think also some others include the version in the file name, but it's been a long time since I've done any firmware updates.

It is kind of a smart idea to look for a specific filename just to make sure the camera doesn't try to load a file that isn't a firmware update, but this is a downside of that. It just all depends on how the designers feel will provide the best for ease of use and protection against loading a wrong file. For work I often create scripts to automatically load data files into databases and sometimes I write them to look for a specific filename, sometimes I write them to only look for the beginning of the filename or only to load everything in a folder, and sometimes I set it up so the user chooses the file, it just depends on what the situation is.
By bowhtr1
I always save mine to the desktop. Its in my face so I know to delete.

My trail camera has captured a very interesting se[…]

Lookout issue

And we still feel it can be related to the network[…]

Boly MG984G-36M Trail Camera

Some regions' BG984G does not work on Molnus yet, […]

Very cool. Sure wouldn't look the same black and w[…]