Please post threads related to camera comparisons and head to head testing that you are doing here.
I am confused... The Covert looks like it is keeping up with the Home Brew? Some one needs to explain to me WHY buying the home brew IS better than buying the Covert! Please!

It's simple...reliability and proven track record.

I'll say I'm really excited for the Covert guys. From everything I'm seeing they may just have just hit it out of the park with this years line-up!!! But we do this every year with the "next thing." We get all hopped up and usually get our hearts broken to some degree in the end. Now, if we look up 6-8 months from now and these cameras are still cranking out pics..... :D

Truer words can't be spoken Roscoe!

Reliability, battery life (externals), pipe through locking, and being able to actually repair the camera is a plus for the 'brews. Even if you don't build it, repairing it is simple AND most homebrew builders will warranty for life.

However, paying $250 for a ready made homebew is just too much IMHO. Sure, it depends on the cost of the actual camera and I have no issue with the builders making a few dollars, it does take some skill to build them, no doubt about that!

But.. They can be found for lower prices than that. Sure, not custom build to your specs, and probably won't be warrantied, but still....I bought a nice S600 for $150. I built an S40 for $90 (that included $10 for someone else to hack it for me as I suck at soldering) and another S40 for $110. Found a P41 for $125 for a buddy. Found 3 more S600's for $160-$190. Just can't be in a rush and buying "off season" is usually the ticket.

But..............I'll be buying a Reveal anyway. :mrgreen: Just too EZ. Now if it craps out in a year, then lesson learned....Again.

And once the black flash market gets things more reliable, better functioning of stated features, and better night illumination, I'll probably go that way in the future.

If DLC could give us a 2 or 3 shot burst at night,

Very hard to do , you have to have time to charge the flash between shots.

Anybody have a "REAL" trigger speed on these? Ad says 1.2. Is that day and night?
Bought the reveal and case from BBO too. Came in last night.
Going to hold off putting into the woods until Irene passes :)
I am confused... The Covert looks like it is keeping up with the Home Brew? Some one needs to explain to me WHY buying the home brew IS better than buying the Covert! Please!

It's simple...reliability and proven track record.

I'll say I'm really excited for the Covert guys. From everything I'm seeing they may just have just hit it out of the park with this years line-up!!! But we do this every year with the "next thing." We get all hopped up and usually get our hearts broken to some degree in the end. Now, if we look up 6-8 months from now and these cameras are still cranking out pics..... :D

I was doing a search on Google that brought me to this thread. We are now 18 months from when this was posted. Anyone able to contact the OP and see if any of these 3 cameras are still running? And if so have repairs been made to any of them? Inquiring minds wanna know.
I would send the original poster a PM and ask him.
I have never used the covert camera, but I do think that his Sony S600 should have been aimed slightly higher. That would have extended the flash range.

Myself, though I prefer the quality pictures a homebrew can produce. I find messing with them a bit of a pain. I do like the more simplistic manufactured cameras for ease of use.
I just sent a PM to the OP hope they reply. I will let you all know if and when I get one.
I would send the original poster a PM and ask him.
I have never used the covert camera, but I do think that his Sony S600 should have been aimed slightly higher. That would have extended the flash range.

Myself, though I prefer the quality pictures a homebrew can produce. I find messing with them a bit of a pain. I do like the more simplistic manufactured cameras for ease of use.

I love my coverts but do not like using the remote.. However it is not a deal breaker for me.

Homebrews give awesome pictures but I agree with that messin' around can be a pain. The two that I have, I keep at one setting and just have an interior turn on/off switch that simplifies things..
I just sent a PM to the OP hope they reply. I will let you all know if and when I get one.

Ok, I got a reply from the OP about this. Then sent a message back to get permission to post it up on here. Just seemed like the right thing to do. Here is the reply copy and pasted as I received it.

I had to send the DLC back 2x and they shipped me new cams each time. These were just rebadged Scoutguard 565's.

I sold the Reconyx to buy 2 more DLC black 60s and gave the Sony P32 to a buddy. I have 5 DLC black 60's and never had to return one. I've returned numerous Bushnell 119466s that were used in my other comparison thread.
Help me with my addiction!

Spartan is a decent system as I helped to design i[…]

I have a primos camera I run off a ext battery wit[…]

20190831_111807.JPG 20190831_111546.JPG Here is[…]

Lookout issue

I will be back there next Saturday, thanks again. […]