Please post threads related to camera comparisons and head to head testing that you are doing here.
I started a thread on this already but it was titled wrong (I used Wi-Fi) and it got sidetracked. So I'm looking for the best bang for your buck MMS/Cellular Trail Camera to use with ATT&T, since I currently have ATT&T and it has good reception where I plan to put the camera.

I'm hoping to keep it within $250-$350.

The choices appear to be:

1.) Ltl. Acorn

2.) Uway

3.) Scoutguard

4.) Covert

5.) Any brand I didn't mention. (Please mention the brand.)

** Apparently one of the downsides for the Scoutguard was that it only sent very small MMS (text/email) pics in a 320X240 size. However, in the previous thread it was discovered that the new Scoutguards send pics in a 640X480 size. So if this was holding you back from recommending the Scoutguard it should no longer be a deterrent.

** Some are excitedly awaiting the release of the new DLC Covert Code Black. Why is this? If the DLC Special Ops wasn't worth buying what will make the "Code Black" worth buying?

Which model do you think is the best bang for your buck?

(Add any brand I didn't mention.)

Others have said that there will most likely be new cameras from DLC Covert, Uway and perhaps others in a few months and that I should wait for them.

What can we expect is coming? What camera do you think is worth waiting for that is coming out?
Until someone receives a Scoutguard from an authorized US distributor with 640x480 I would not consider it available in the US.

I have both the SG-580M and the Ltl-Acorn 5210MM. I prefer the Ltl-Acorn 5210MM.

I recently received a Ltl-Acorn 6210MM Black Flash and have returned the unit.

One of the reasons I prefer the ltl-acorn over the SG-580M is that the Acorn has a photo+video mode that takes 1-3 photos plus a video. The SG-580M only takes photo or video and when set to video does not send an MMS photo.

Another reason I prefer my acorn over the sg is signal strength and antenna. My acorn gets better signal than the SG even though it has an internal antenna.

Another reason I prefer my acorn over the sg is memory card compatibility. I have used several brands of SD and SDHC cards in my acorn with sizes from 2GB to 32GB. Only a couple of them work in the SG and none of the 32GB cards.

Another reason prefer my acorn over the scoutguard is that the scoutguard requires a camera specific file on every sd card you use with the camera, profile.ini. If you use a card without the file the camera reverts to firmware settings for carrier parameters, email addresses, etc and won't work.

The scoutguard uses a separate handheld ir remote to program settings on the camera. you have to keep track of the remote and have extra batteries for the remote. there is a place to store the remote in the camera but if it get's damp it is toast so I keep mine separate.

that all said, the SG-580M takes excellent 5MP primary photos.

I also have found deaf ears when trying to contact scoutguard for support.
Until someone receives a Scoutguard from an authorized US distributor with 640x480 I would not consider it available in the US.

I have both the SG-580M and the Ltl-Acorn 5210MM. I prefer the Ltl-Acorn 5210MM.

One of the reasons I prefer the ltl-acorn over the SG-580M is that the Acorn has a photo+video mode that takes 1-3 photos plus a video. The SG-580M only takes photo or video and when set to video does not send an MMS photo.

Another reason I prefer my acorn over the sg is signal strength and antenna. My acorn gets better signal than the SG even though it has an internal antenna.

Another reason I prefer my acorn over the sg is memory card compatibility. I have used several brands of SD and SDHC cards in my acorn with sizes from 2GB to 32GB. Only a couple of them work in the SG and none of the 32GB cards.

Another reason prefer my acorn over the scoutguard is that the scoutguard requires a camera specific file on every sd card you use with the camera, profile.ini. If you use a card without the file the camera reverts to firmware settings for carrier parameters, email addresses, etc and won't work.

The scoutguard uses a separate handheld ir remote to program settings on the camera. you have to keep track of the remote and have extra batteries for the remote. there is a place to store the remote in the camera but if it get's damp it is toast so I keep mine separate.

Ah. Good to know. That sounds like a lot of trouble with the Scoutguard. CS is also important.

Which one is more durable? How long to they last on batteries?

the acorn is a bit more fragile than the sg.

the acorn is very sensitive to voltage and does not like AA NiMH rechargeables. I have had best results using an external 6v SLA lantern battery, close to 4 weeks and almost 32GB of photos and videos.

the sg runs well on NiMH AA batteries and I use the sanyo eneloops with it, 2 weeks + with only photos.

battery life is more of a function of how many pictures and video you want to capture in a time frame. If you setup for a 10min interval between captures the batteries will last longer than a setup with 1 minute between captures, especially is there is a lot of activity around a feeder.

the mms cameras use more power than the non-mms models because of the energy used in the tranmission. also night time captures use more battery because of the IR illumination.

the acorn is a bit more fragile than the sg.

the acorn is very sensitive to voltage and does not like AA NiMH rechargeables. I have had best results using an external 6v SLA lantern battery, close to 4 weeks and almost 32GB of photos and videos.

the sg runs well on NiMH AA batteries and I use the sanyo eneloops with it, 2 weeks + with only photos.

battery life is more of a function of how many pictures and video you want to capture in a time frame. If you setup for a 10min interval between captures the batteries will last longer than a setup with 1 minute between captures, especially is there is a lot of activity around a feeder.

the mms cameras use more power than the non-mms models because of the energy used in the tranmission. also night time captures use more battery because of the IR illumination.

Well, I most likely won't be running 6V sla battery. So how long will the Acorn last on AA's?

I have some AA NiMH rechargeables, but you say they don't work with the Ltl. Acorn?

So on AA's it appears these two cameras will only last about 2 weeks, is that correct? If that's the case I'd have to go up to the cabin (4 hours away) every 2 weeks to change it......which defeats the purpose of the MMS/Cellular camera, no?
Well, I most likely won't be running 6V sla battery. So how long will the Acorn last on AA's?
I have some AA NiMH rechargeables, but you say they don't work with the Ltl. Acorn?

So on AA's it appears these two cameras will only last about 2 weeks, is that correct? If that's the case I'd have to go up to the cabin (4 hours away) every 2 weeks to change it......which defeats the purpose of the MMS/Cellular camera, no?

NiMH AA cells are 1.2V each, and arranged into 2x packs of 4 yielding 4.8V. The ltl-acorn likes 5-7V. There is a ltl-sun solar lithium battery that is wired for 7V output. My experience has taught me to keep it simple. One 6V SLA rechargeable external battery ($5-$10).

I have recently purchased some rechargeable alkaline cells, iGo Green AA, that are 1.6V each and they seem to be working well but I have only been using them a couple weeks so I don't know if I would recommend them yet. The ltl-acorn REALLY likes to have 6V, not 5V.

I have gotten more than two weeks on the SG if I set the interval to 10 minutes. I usually have the SG setup at a feeder and getting 100 captures a day is easy. It would probably be best to think of battery life in terms of number of captures rather than number of days and even then to estimate based on number of night time captures and number of day time captures. I referenced two + weeks because I don't let the SG go much more than that without swapping memory cards and batteries. With a good set of alkaline batteries and the right settings you could probably get two months. One nice thing the SG does, and I have only had it happen once, is it texts you a message when the batteries are low. The SG is not reliable for sending every photo/txt though and does not send the battery status with every photo like the acorn. I only get about 70% of the photos sent that I should get from the SG whereas I get about 95% from the acorn when using the external battery. When the SG does not send the photo it still has it stored on the SD card.
I gotta say that I'm very very happy with my Little Acorn 5210MM. After correcting a connection problem between the back pack and the cam, everything is working flawlessly now. I'm working on hacking the cam now to rig up some kind of an external antenna for a better signal.

From this year, we plan to directly answer customer questions and support Scoutguard/Bolyguard cameras.

Many of the problems above have been solved. SG550M-8M supports also 32GB SD/SDHC cards. The "reverting to factory defaul" problem is also solved. In addition, SG550M-8M offers GPRS transmission capability, which sends 800x600 picture to email.
From this year, we plan to directly answer customer questions and support Scoutguard/Bolyguard cameras.

Many of the problems above have been solved. SG550M-8M supports also 32GB SD/SDHC cards. The "reverting to factory defaul" problem is also solved. In addition, SG550M-8M offers GPRS transmission capability, which sends 800x600 picture to email.

Are these fixes available to current owners?

I don't see an SG550M-8M model on the bolymedia website. So where are these models available and have their functions been confirmed with a reviewer like Anthony at Chasingame?

A lot a talk about Scoutguards on here. Any info on Covert, Uway, Ltl. Acorn or Spypoint MMS cameras?

I will assume you have already read the reviews on chasingame.com

I'm wondering what people who have them or used them's opinion is on them what one they think is the best.

A lot a talk about Scoutguards on here. Any info on Covert, Uway, Ltl. Acorn or Spypoint MMS cameras?

I will assume you have already read the reviews on chasingame.com

I'm wondering what people who have them or used them's opinion is on them what one they think is the best.

with the MMS cams most people don't own too many and even less own more than one model to be able to make a comparison. Anthony has reviewed a lot of them.

here is a link to the best one. http://www.chasingame.com/reviews_yodercams.htm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
why have I never looked at that before :roll:
Boly MG984G-36M Trail Camera

Standard alkaline batteries should have a voltage […]

Lookout issue

Please reply on this site as I am having the sam[…]

HI

welcome to Chasingame. tell us where you are from[…]

Playtime at the creek- videos

And- raccoons playing in the spotlight.. https:/[…]