Please post threads related to camera comparisons and head to head testing that you are doing here.
If you don’t mind I’ll share some results got after comparison of three cams: Ltl Acorn 5210A, Ltl Acorn 6210MC and Bushnell 119437c. All were purchased via eBay: 5210A – in USA (Jan 2012), 6210MC – in U.K. (Apr 2012), and BTC 119437c – in USA (May 2012). Understand that most of the told below are well-known and discussed earlier, however this is my own experience in search of the cams which could satisfy research interests. Perhaps it will be interesting for somebody. Of course this is about my particular cams, not about the brands and the models as a whole.

I’m a scientist, and the cams could help to discover features of the hidden life. I like great quality of the pictures, but in concern of the professional activity, first of all, prefer the fast as possible trigger, short recovery time, detection zone comparable with the picture frame, acceptable long the batteries life, and IR flash which allows to distinguish species. Cost of the cams is also not the last argument for the choice. Warranty: unfortunately in our local conditions this service means nothing, we have to accept the cam as it is. This talk is about pictures only, not about video.

Some words about the cams. BTC looks fine, solid. But the setting buttons have almost invisible marks, and I need certain experience to push correctly. The battery compartment keeps them too strongly, I had to put a band underneath the batteries. Also, the rubber bung for the external power supply looked unreliable from the very beginning, and I found it in very weak state already over 4 months, and had to stick the hole. Position of the memory card may be not very good, I several times rejected it occasionally during the setting. Also, Bushnell does not provide enough EXIF data (no ISO, exposure). Ltl Acorns 5210 and 6210 have different design but the same and not very good switch OFF-ON-TEST. Position ON is not fixed, impossible to define it blind, it makes me nervous. The lock of the lower cap in 5210 model is not serious, impossible to believe it. I don’t like that after formatting the cam leaves the setting menu automatically. Also, necessity to confirm your choice every time makes a risk to get not that result you desire, and I did it. However the interface is clear, simple. Regarding the temperature stamp – the cams are not able to provide exact temperature, the point is not about 1-3 degrees, distinction on 10-20 degrees not rare, why was this option desired? Can’t understand. Moreover both my Ltl Acorns show wrong moon phase (BTC correct).

Since I was keen to install the cams in the woods, and they been worked 4-6 months, a chance to compare results and the cams’ features in simultaneous tests appeared only now.

I lay out a plot with landmarks on a square-cluster system over every 3 and 7 ft, mounted the cams on a stand, 3 feet above the ground, and walked in front of it over 7, 10, 13, 16, 26 and 33 ft (in fact all measurements were in SI units). The cams were tested at day light, in dusk and in darkness. Temperature ranged 48-64 F, depending on ability of the cam to show correct temperature. Sometimes the stand was turned in order to compare how the pattern of light effects on the pictures quality. The batteries were either rechargeable Powerex Imedion 2400 or Energizer Lithium. Memory cards in all cases – SanDisk Extreme 4GB 10 class.
I prefer 3 photos at the shortest interval (“1 sec” for BTC and “0 sec” for Acorns) and examined high and normal sensitivity of PIR. LED of BTC can be changed, and I found that the medium LED is more than enough for most of situations.

In order to compare the results I used EXIF data of the pictures exported in view of a table. No instrumental methods of the assessment, just a tester for the batteries.

1.Pictures quality

The quality of picture at 5M appears to be similar for all three cams. Moreover I did not feel that increase of size (more 5M) improve any, may be very a little, insufficiently comparing with increase of size. Looks like a market course of the manufacturer, no benefits for the customer. Dusk and night pictures are also similar if enough light (BTC 119437 naturally provided a lot of light for all cams forcing me sometimes to tests the cams separately).

BTC is not able to save quality if too much light. High brightness of even 25-30% of the frame (e.g. dry grasses on sun, white wall, or clean sky) is enough to causes white out. Acorns can settle this problem, their picture much better in such conditions, and quality of 5210A is better than 6210MC.

In dusk BTC comes to black-white pictures earlier than Ltl Acorns. At that Acorn 5210A as usual makes “bracketing”: among three pictures the first has shorter exposure, and the third – longer, sometimes black-white. Moreover it takes place always at the not very good light. This feature of Ltl Acorn 5210 irritates me, however sometimes it’s better than all white-out pictures of BTC.

2. Sensitivity of PIR, detection zone, triggering, recovery time

Setting “HIGH”

Sensitivity of PIR varies. Seems both Acorns catch objects earlier, beyond the frame, and further in front of (especially in the night). However BTC is definitely more sensitive for movements “from – to” the cam. Ltl 5210A is worse in this respect.
Unfortunately now I can’t judge with confidence about Ltl 6210MC: after the field work over the last 4 months the side PIR likely does not work properly, there inside was some water, drying did not help, now there are issues to switch on and to set. After switching ON the cam hang and 10-15 sec later switches on the monitor. Long exercises allowed to find a solution. The first, I have to set Default setting, then again reset what I want, and only after these round of manipulations the cam agrees to work… Every time I have to repeat this sequence. Guess, either some bugs in programming or corrosion. However the central PIR of 6210 still works very well.

Don’t know how the trigger connected with PIR activity, but the BTC does not miss any within 0-25 ft at day light, and due to its very impressive shoot rate (3 pictures during 1.3 sec) the ‘object’ is always in frame. Moreover almost in the center, it does not shoot very early. Moreover if move more than 15 ft in front the cam it makes two 3-pictures sets (at high sensitivity of PIR). I like it. But. No ideas why this cam missed me in night at distance more 20 ft.

Acorn 6210MC starts shooting earlier, the object is often in the beginning of the first frame, and since it is slower (3 shots during 2.3 sec at day light, and 3.2-3.5 sec in night) the object can leave the frame before the third shot on closer distance (less 10 ft). It also can trigger the second set of 3-shots but as usual without the object. Because of troubles mentioned before I decided to use the cam without the side PIR. Now the cam begin shooting some later but fast enough to catch the moving object 2-3 times over the set. Acceptable and satisfies me. Also, this cam catches better the object on large distance than BTC: in the same light and temperature conditions no misses at 40-45 ft distance while BTC does the same no further than 35 ft. Not too bad for the Acorn.

Acorn 5210A is very slow and works strange: it took 3 pictures during 3-4 sec in day and up to 12 sec in night. In this concern I don’t know what the “0 sec interval” means. Market course? I tested “1 sec” interval, and speed decreased. As a results at distance of closer 20 ft one-two-three pictures are often empty, nobody there. In respect of the animals only a lure in front of the cam can help, something has to detain them in the frame. One more issue – the cam often begin shooting before the object enters in the frame. Either the side PIR triggers (what contradicts the features adverted) or the central PIR has remarkably wider detection zone than the frame. I did not understand how to settle this trouble, and decided to switch off the side PIR in future. At least it allows to catch the object in the first frame at the closer distance. However despite on such issues this cam has also very good detection zone: it get the moving object at 40-45 ft without problems.

Setting of the sensor “NORMAL”

BTC reduced number of the 3-pictures sets while I was passing in front of it. Only one set. Acorn 6210MC (side PIR ON) got in troubles: number of shots varied within 1-3 per set regardless the setting. After that I took the side PIR off, and this likely helps. The similar issue takes place in respect of Acorn 5210A as well, not so often but sometimes it takes only one shot. It was during transition time and in night, never in day. However both 6210 and 5210 get the object at least one time per trigger.

3. Flash

Certainly among these three cams BTC 119437c is the best. Three levels of LED, and even ‘LOW” level appeared to be brighter and wider than Ltl Acorn 5210A has. The BTC’s flash lightens enough in 45-50 ft even at MEDIUM LED. While Acorn 5210 the best for 15-20 ft, further – so so. I completely disappointed with 940nm “light “ of Ltl Acorn 6210MC. A small object can be looked at distance of 10-13 ft, no more, at distance more 20 ft even big objects look like only a dark hard distinguished shape. However, if there is additional IR light (in my case it was simultaneous BTC flash) the picture of Acorn 6210 is perfect for any distance.
However for all three cams the blurry effect takes place even for slow moving objects, and not only in night, even at the cloudy day or under the canopy.
Can add that pictures got in the woods exhibit clearly animals sometimes are interesting with the red flash, however not scared.

4. Battery life

There are only relative very rough assessments, I did not wait until the batteries down. So, looks like BTC 119437 is more energy saving, in spite of the bright red flash and only 8 batteries. Ltl Acorn 6210MC (940nm) discharges 12 fresh batteries on the comparable percent without bright red flash. Anyway both are remarkably more efficient than Ltl Acorn 5210A. It discharges 8 fresh batteries in 1.5-2 times faster. However 78 days in woods and 645-820 pictures did not caused death of batteries.

5. Time lapse (field scan)

All these cams have this option. But BTC allows to use PIR during time lapse while Ltl Acorns don’t, and BTC allows to set two time lapse periods while Acorns only one. I found out that all cams are not very precise to keep the time set. Acorn 5210A: instead 15 min interval – near 14 min 30 sec, instead 5 min – 5 min 5 sec. I still did not check this feature in Acorn 6210MC. The Bushnell keeps almost exact interval (1 sec longer) however only if no shots caused by PIR. In the later case the time lapse interval is reduced on 0-60 sec until the next time lapse period. If the exact time of shooting is important no guarantee that you get it.

So, some conclusions:

After the tests and the use in woods I rather prefer Bushnell 119437c. Good picture, fast shooting, bright red flash, energy-saving. Detection zone is acceptable, but better to install it not further than 25-30 ft to the main spot (at +45+65 F), and I have to be more attentive to choose the cam orientation. Otherwise high probability of white-out pictures. Perhaps this cam less sensitive to movement in the upper part of frame. This cam will work well both for trail and feed (watering) spot (and I know already the same of mud-bath).
Ltl Acorns both 6210 and 5210 gives great picture at day light and have a large detection zone. But only 6210MC has acceptably fast shooting, 5210A is very lazy. The red flash of 5210A is not strong enough, but no-glow 940nm flash of 6210MC is symbolic, and can be useful only if to install the cam 10-12 ft from the spot (The idea to buy Uway XtendIR does not attract me, better to buy another cam with brighter flash). Both these cams promise better results if to detain the animals somehow on the spot.

Now I again installed the cams in the woods. New experience: winter time. Remembering the previous troubles each cam was covered by a small shed, and I stuck all junctions, and some lure were put in front of.
Very good test and you seem to applied a lot of attention to the details.
I cant attest to anything other than the 5210A. You are right about the interval settings "zero" delay between pics is an industry teaser that just doesnt work. I think all cameras have to allow more time to write to the card (especially at night) thereby dimnishing it's next trigger.

My reconyx cameras certainly trigger much faster, but the smaller megapixel required to do so is the tradeoff in pic quality.
Thanks for posting your results.
Thank you for the response! In the variable and permanently changing ocean of the game cameras any review based on the unbiased tests are very useful. I appreciate a lot all information found on this site, thanks moderators and all participants! And perhaps my experience will be not extra as well. Hope in January-February I will have some more to tell about the work of these cams, and certainly let you know.
thanks for taking the time to post all this information.

I have a question to ask, the 5210A you have listed in your signature says OBO (old boys outdoors)

and the 6210 just says LTL Acorn,

is the 6210 a clone camera ? did you buy both from Old Boys Outdoors ? how much did you pay for each model is US dollars ? thx, kid
5210 was bought via eBay in US seller artemisoutdoor, OBO dealer - 209 USD + shipping. 6210 - in U.K. (honey_mermaids, no ideas of if it's OBO dealer), also via eBay, it was 212 USD free shipping. At least the 6210 has proper menu display and serial number.
Just some latest videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwSdb2V4PdM

Help me with my addiction!

Check with Verizon and see if you have texting on […]

I have a primos camera I run off a ext battery wit[…]

20190831_111807.JPG 20190831_111546.JPG Here is[…]