Use this forum to post questions and issues for discussion related to Primos cameras
By reaperman
Well, it happened again. Another trail camera with issues right out of the box. I was excited today after work to try my new 01 that I picked up for $49 at Dicks. Initial testing in my basement showed promise. Then my back yard tests also looked good on both photo and video mode. Except my back yard slopes pretty fast so testing distance is kind of a challenge. I deployed my camera in a active spot in the woods and brought a extra SD card to take some test pics to view back home to make sure the camera was pointed in the correct position. After several walk by's at various distances I noticed the picture count only showed 2 pics. Repeated the same at 40 feet but still no pictures. Back home I go with camera in hand. Further testing showed my camera only senses to about 18' max. I did additional testing when it got dark so I could see the IR bank to prove my theory. Plus I wanted to see flash distance. On the bright side I can exchange the camera without having to do the whole shipping mess, since there is a Dicks within 20 miles.

What I found out about this camera in one evening is it looks promising. The pictures in still mode are good quality. I tested in low (3mp, native) and high (12mp) and didn't see much difference. On video mode, in low mode the video was kind of choppy and audio was muffled, file size for 10 seconds was approx, 12 mp. High video mode the video was much better, file size for a 10 second vid was approx, 27mp. Audio still not the best.

In multi shot picture mode (and video mode) there is a slight click when the red IR bank turns on. I didn't hear this click when I changed the setting to a single picture. The illumination at night is great.
By RiverRat
That stinks, like Anthony mentioned you may have a defective unit. Hopefully you will be able to resume testing.

Question, do either of you run cameras during the hot months of summer? I've noticed with my Primos cameras I have more issues with false triggers during the hot months. Do I just need to do a better job of getting vegetation out? Or the cameras just too sensitive?
By Anthony
In theory as the ambient temperatures rise then the difference in the ambient temperature and the subject's temperature becomes very small. Generally, sensing is poorer when it is hot.

Over the years people always talk about cameras taking extra pictures or even run away when it is hot. I have never really understood from an electronics standpoint what is happening in really hot temperatures to cause the camera to do this but I know it can.

A syndrome called "run away camera" was prevalent only a few years ago as manufacturers tried to increase sensitivity. I know that sensitivity is based on certain resistance values and that there is a certain amount of noise or randomness when attempting to sense out to the bleeding edge of hardware possibilities. It could be that the heat inside the camera on a hot sunny day pushes the camera over the edge by changing the resistance and the PIR sensor wakes the camera up.

What is the effect of heat on a resistor ?
By Ed Elkins
i got the same deal you got mine works great as far as pic and sensing mine the first time i put it out took 1300 pic but put them in 2 different folders now wont take more than 999 pics i got brand new 8gig sandisk cards it says card full with 6gigs to go i cant figure it out i've formatted in cam and computer
By Tinhorn
I think the PIR electronics are sensitive to 98.6 temperature, by engeneers, so when it's summer and vegation is warm and wind or even warm air blowing around. It seems cedar trees were the worst but...

Years ago on Jesse and on Hags we talked about it being bad, especially in "Film" days LOL Some guys tried to design the camera controller's to shutdown the camera's on hot days. 212 was working on it too I think...
By reaperman
I exchanged cameras tonight and pickup another one for the same price. At that price if they work alright its a pretty good deal. I didn't have much time tonight to play around much. But I did hang both cameras on the same tree and did some walk-by's in the dark. I'm impressed with the illumination of this unit. You will see the sample photo below, the oak tree in the center is exactly 60'.

01010061.JPG
01010061.JPG (1.6 MiB) Viewed 2937 times
By reaperman
Primos has had issues with faulty switches and battery terminals. Do you see any such issues with this cam?

Not that I noticed. The battery terminals are notched on the + end, so the batteries aren't nearly as tight as my older 02. The switch seems solid
By Sodbuster
Primos has had issues with faulty switches and battery terminals. Do you see any such issues with this cam?

Not that I noticed. The battery terminals are notched on the + end, so the batteries aren't nearly as tight as my older 02. The switch seems solid

Thanks. At $50 I may have to give Primos another shot, I like the illumination from this cam.
By reaperman
I'm pretty sure for this price you have to order online and choose in store pickup. See my post in the bargsin forum for the link. Sale expires midnight aug 26th, if I remember correctly
By Sodbuster
I'm pretty sure for this price you have to order online and choose in store pickup. See my post in the bargsin forum for the link. Sale expires midnight aug 26th, if I remember correctly

Dicks has had them for $50 for a good while. They raise it up To $80 and then drop it back down. Right now Field and Stream has them for $50 also.
Boly MG984G-36M Trail Camera

Standard alkaline batteries should have a voltage […]

Lookout issue

Please reply on this site as I am having the sam[…]

HI

welcome to Chasingame. tell us where you are from[…]

Playtime at the creek- videos

And- raccoons playing in the spotlight.. https:/[…]