* Chasingame Home  
* Donate to Chasingame

Chasingame.com discussion forum

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: TILLAGE RADISH brand
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:52 am 

We usually mix the Brassica,Rape and Turnips in our food plots and it seems that the Hog Raddishes are the crave this year so we plan on trying them also.As far as the Whitetail Institutes Tall Tine Tubers those are 3 different type of hardy Turnips that are suppose to be drought resistant and last into the colder winter weather....I have a bag of them but didn't get to plant them last year but will add them in for sure this falls planting season.

Depending on what others are planting and if there are not many crops close to your hunting area I assure You the Deer will hit your food plots some times its hard to tell if they are browsing the food plots unless you put out a small ringed fence to keep them out and see how well that small area grows more since the Deer can't eat it down!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:57 pm 
Site Supporter

the foodplots have been hard to get going this year. after three years of double the average rainfall it turned around last fall and i keep getting more of the same . the only time it will rain is when you are in the middle of planting but not done yet. when you get done you will get a little rain but then all the kick in the butt follow up rains fissel out. probably half of my mainstay corn bean plots are doing very good. the others have a failure in the corn componet,with the beans being pretty low density. of these bean plots only the ones that i planted beans in for the fertilizer planning on adding turnips,etc later are what one could consider good population plots. it is lookin like the buckwheat is going to become a usefull tool this year. i have at least 55 to 60 pounds of turnips, shotplot and raddishes. so i still have lots of ammo. i have even planted a little grain sorgham this year. it is to early to tell how it is doing. the silver lining of all this is that it has gotten dry enough to fix a lot of problem areas that were unusable during the wet years. i am just trying to avoid lookin like a deer in the headlights. i will sucede only problem is that the end product will not be what i had planned for in the beginning. when you go thru a year like this you can feel much better about how things are going if you look at your other efforts in a total package. i have been doing a lot of timber stand improvement.i have done a lot of edge work, i burn every year part of my acres, i believe in the power of the backpak sprayer in creating good quality habitat. it is a great tool to attack those species that are keeping down what is beneficial i have restablished quite a bit of native warm season grasses and wildflowers. sorry for the rant, i sometimes need to give myselt a pep talk. failure is not a option hazelvillebucks

1 recoynx 600
2 w.g.i. x10 cg
1 moutrie m80 xt 2 m80 x blk 2 m100 xt 2 m990
1 hunten gsc35-50ir
1 browning recon force

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:32 am 
Site Supporter

Hazelville , you are putting in your 100 percent effort. You are doing an amazing amount of work. Just with that alone you will achieve your goal. How much land do you own? Must be a sizable acreage with alot of diverse habitat to do all those things. You did an unbelievable job on the woodlots. All that undergrowth is a treasure island for those deer to both hide and feed in it.
You are making it so good that they will even hide from you during hunting season :lol:

1 Bushnell 2011 467
1 UWAY 2011 NX80
1 Moultrie 2013 990i
2 UWAY 2012 VH200B
4 UWAY 2012 U250B

2 WGI W6XAC (Micro 6)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:16 am 

hazelvillebucks wrote:
the foodplots have been hard to get going this year. after three years of double the average rainfall it turned around last fall and i keep getting more of the same . the only time it will rain is when you are in the middle of planting but not done yet. when you get done you will get a little rain but then all the kick in the donkeys read end follow up rains fissel out. probably half of my mainstay corn bean plots are doing very good. the others have a failure in the corn componet,with the beans being pretty low density. of these bean plots only the ones that i planted beans in for the fertilizer planning on adding turnips,etc later are what one could consider good population plots. it is lookin like the buckwheat is going to become a usefull tool this year. i have at least 55 to 60 pounds of turnips, shotplot and raddishes. so i still have lots of ammo. i have even planted a little grain sorgham this year. it is to early to tell how it is doing. the silver lining of all this is that it has gotten dry enough to fix a lot of problem areas that were unusable during the wet years. i am just trying to avoid lookin like a deer in the headlights. i will sucede only problem is that the end product will not be what i had planned for in the beginning. when you go thru a year like this you can feel much better about how things are going if you look at your other efforts in a total package. i have been doing a lot of timber stand improvement.i have done a lot of edge work, i burn every year part of my acres, i believe in the power of the backpak sprayer in creating good quality habitat. it is a great tool to attack those species that are keeping down what is beneficial i have restablished quite a bit of native warm season grasses and wildflowers. sorry for the rant, i sometimes need to give myselt a pep talk. failure is not a option hazelvillebucks

It is pretty easy to get depressed when mother nature doesn't cooperate. The old saying "A little timely rain covers a multitude of sins" holds true. Drought is one of the things that helped me make the commitment to minimize tillage over the long haul. On the counter side, we have had lots of timely rain in central VA and an early spring. My unprotected bean corn mix will canopy for the first time this year. Early planting has helped keep early browsing pressure down. The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know. I planted 6 fields of the beans/corn mix. Three were tilled (because they needed maintenance lime) and the rest were not. All were fertilized and planted the same with a no-till drill. The tilled fields are doing MUCH better than those that were not tilled.

Lesson Learned: With plenty of rain this year, moisture retention associated with no-till was not needed and with my soils, compression is still an issue and was mitigated by tillage. Until I can build up the OM in my soils sufficiently I'll be tilling my corn and bean fields every couple of years to combat compression.

So, just keep going to the plate and swinging the bat! It will pay off in the long run!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:32 am 
Site Supporter

SportsmanNH wrote:
Hazelville , you are putting in your 100 percent effort. You are doing an amazing amount of work. Just with that alone you will achieve your goal. How much land do you own? Must be a sizable acreage with alot of diverse habitat to do all those things. You did an unbelievable job on the woodlots. All that undergrowth is a treasure island for those deer to both hide and feed in it.
You are making it so good that they will even hide from you during hunting season :lol:

i have 268 acres that is connected but spread out at the same time. my property is 1 and 1/4 mile long by 1/2 mile plus wide at its widest. i am way up in the drainages . about every 4 or 5 miles one will find a river that is no bigger than a small creek. the hazelville bucks are coming from three different drainages. my mission is to not be out worked by anyone, i will provide everything they need and make it better than the competitions. if one provides what they seek they will come ,they do come. my acerage is totally dedicated to the hazelvillebucks and there is not any of it that is not good. but i will continue doing whatever i can to make it better. when it comes to people stealing cams and such a good defense is to convince everyone that you are crazy. i have a talent for that. my hand digging of the old pond is going well,i want at least another 3 hour shot to have it three foot deep or so. it may be small but it will soon be utilized and this year will be another mini plot. they do have lots of thick stuff to hind in but when i am working and they can,t here me for a while they will send someone out to check on me. when i take their treats to the mineral sites it appears they have a good grapevine. you will see them sneaking around waiting for me to leave. my plots are in a lot of different situations. with varying abouts of shade present. what works great in one place one year may be a bust the next. every year is different ,one just has to take mother natures shots and make adjustments to come out the best you can.you can not lose as well as you are providing diversity. if you dig it they will come. hazelvillebucks

1 recoynx 600
2 w.g.i. x10 cg
1 moutrie m80 xt 2 m80 x blk 2 m100 xt 2 m990
1 hunten gsc35-50ir
1 browning recon force

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:11 pm 

I checked our local MFA Feed Store and they don't have any of the Raddishes in stock but can order them...only downfall is were talking 50lb bag increments,why on Earth they don't order some themselfs and sell it at 1lb-5lb bags is beyond me?If I want any I will have to see if anyone else I know that Hunts and/or plant food plots wants to split up or buy a few pounds from me so I can save a little and not pack a 50lb bag of raddishes for 2 or 3 years on my back! LMAO :roll: :shock: :D

Daikon Forage/Tillage Radish
50lb Bag @ $3.10 lb comes to $155.00

Ground Hog Radish
50lb Bag @ $3.25 lb comes to $162.50

Guess I need to go into the seed selling business if I want any Raddishes....I'm thinking some Over the Counter Companies are selling a Raddish Blend in the Game Food Plot type 3-4lb bags,I'll check them out and put up a bulletin to see if anyone locally wants to split up a 50 pounder with me? :idea: :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:24 pm 

GTOHunter wrote:
I checked our local MFA Feed Store and they don't have any of the Raddishes in stock but can order them...only downfall is were talking 50lb bag increments,why on Earth they don't order some themselfs and sell it at 1lb-5lb bags is beyond me?If I want any I will have to see if anyone else I know that Hunts and/or plant food plots wants to split up or buy a few pounds from me so I can save a little and not pack a 50lb bag of raddishes for 2 or 3 years on my back! LMAO :roll: :shock: :D

Daikon Forage/Tillage Radish
50lb Bag @ $3.10 lb comes to $155.00

Ground Hog Radish
50lb Bag @ $3.25 lb comes to $162.50

Guess I need to go into the seed selling business if I want any Raddishes....I'm thinking some Over the Counter Companies are selling a Raddish Blend in the Game Food Plot type 3-4lb bags,I'll check them out and put up a bulletin to see if anyone locally wants to split up a 50 pounder with me? :idea: :)

Try Welter Honey & Seed. They sell GHR for $2.99/lb. You'll need to pay shipping and a small handling fee for a small order, but they will sell it by the pound.

Thanks,

Jack