I think you know what you are doing here... :)
By cwensk
The Eagle beans came in finally. We pick them up today but will have to wait until next weekend to plant.
Got some camping to do this Memorial Day weekend :D
Will try to get some before photos of the plot. Should be interesting.

Carl
By yoderj@cox.net
Carl,

I've forgotten how much acreage you are planting. If the acreage is small, I just want to warn you that browse pressure might be an issue. Eagle beans will handle it much better than ag beans, but they can still be hurt. Your signature says SE Missouri. I'm in central VA and with my deer densities, I like to get mine in the ground by May 1st at the latest. The reason is that this gives them a little time to establish before peak browse. In my area, there is enough spring green-up and most does haven't dropped fawns yet. My field pressure diminishes at this time because deer can get good quality native vegetation without exposing themselves in open fields.

If I can get my Eagle beans growing for about 3 weeks before they get heavy browse, the deer can't kill them. Small plots may stay naked all summer but the deer can't kill them. I'm up to 7 acres now, so this is much less of a problem for me but I still try to stick to that schedule.

If you are planting larger acreages relative to your deer densities and other food options or you are protecting your beans with a Gallagher style fence, you may not have this issue. I just wanted to give you a heads up on the possibility.

Thanks,

Jack
By cwensk
Thanks for the heads up, Jack.
I would say the plot is roughly 2.5
acres. It is in the center of a 10 acre open field.
I am just starting to get fawn pics and
everything is greening up.
We are hopeful that we won't need a fence
but time will tell. There has been lots of activity
on the property and we are hoping this deters
some deer movement, altho I doubt it.
Will keep updating as we progress.
Wish we could have gotten the beans in the
ground last week but too much going on.
Couple of guys going out this weekend to spray
the plot hopefully to take care of some weeds before
we disc again and plant next week.
Thanks for everyone's input
Carl
By cwensk
Beans were planted yesterday and we are getting rain right now. Hopefully we'll see some green soon.
:)
By cosmos24
Beans were planted yesterday and we are getting rain right now. Hopefully we'll see some green soon.
:)

Great looking spot Carl everything looks good to this point! Keep us updated!
By cwensk
We got a good rain just after we planted them. About an 1".
Went out this past Saturday and checked them, we now have some greenage!
The beans are sprouting nicely. Sadly, so are the weeds.
When is the best time to spray roundup, and at what stage should the beans be?
Pix

Update
We got 5"of rain in a couple hours yesterday, flash flooding in area. Hoping it didn't wash them out of the field!

Carl
By yoderj@cox.net
Ignore the beans. Base your spraying time on weed development. The roundup label has good instructions for using it on RR crops. Unlike clover which has some level of natural resistance to glyphosate where you hurt the clover but hurt the weed much worse, RR crops are genetically modified specifically to be unaffected by glyphosate. I have had to spray very young beans on occasion and they have been unaffected.

Basically, I was as many weeds to germinate as possible before I spray gly, but I don't want the weeds that germinate first to get too big. That way one spray of roundup kills the most weeds giving the beans time to canopy. Some times I need a second spray. It just depends on how fast the beans grow and the browsing pressure.
By cosmos24
We got a good rain just after we planted them. About an 1".
Went out this past Saturday and checked them, we now have some greenage!
The beans are sprouting nicely. Sadly, so are the weeds.
When is the best time to spray roundup, and at what stage should the beans be?
Pix

Update
We got 5"of rain in a couple hours yesterday, flash flooding in area. Hoping it didn't wash them out of the field!

Carl

Carl, your weather sounds like ours,it's one extreme or the other,nothing in the middle :twisted:
By trapper
I usually spray when the weeds get bigger than the beans. I kind of like the weeds early on because it hides the beans a little bit and some of the weeds are very attractive to the deer and takes some of the browse pressure off the beans.
I have never planted Eagle beans. I plant ag beans I get from National Wild Turkey Federation for $7/bag.
I always sow brassica (Groundhog Radish and purple top turnips last couple of years) and cereal grain (rye, oats, wheat) into the standing beans when the leaves are yellow but before they fall. Then I frost seed clover in February. The clover will easily last the 3 years I leave it before repeating the above. That way I have 3/4's of my plots in clover and 1/4'th in annuals every year.
By yoderj@cox.net
Here is one of my better bean/corn fields this spring. It is a combination of volunteers and seed planted this spring.

This is what you have to look forward to. It has been sprayed one time about 2 weeks ago. I could have waited for this field, but some of the others were not as clean and needed the weed competition removed.
By cwensk
Well, the Eagle beans were a hit with the deer crew!
Couldn't get them to see the need for an electric fence for protection until beans got more mature.
We weren't able to get out there much due to work, rain or prior commitments. Couple guys went out last weekend to spray weeds and mow. They couldn't believe that the beans were eaten down to stalks.
Maybe now they will agree to spring for that electric fence!

They did say that the clipped off stalks were trying to put on new leaves. ?? Maybe they will come back?

Carl
By Steve S
it all starts with a soil test, find out what your soil needs for legumes or the crop you want and go from there

A peaceful scene from the Ridgetec Lookout Dual. […]

Reconyx Errors

It sounds like a firmware reload is what I would t[…]

How many different bucks do you see use a single s[…]

Spypoint Link Dark

I purchased this camera a couple months ago and I […]