I think you know what you are doing here... :)
By cosmos24
I've never had any luck with the Trophy Rocks. Maybe it's because we don't get as much rain? The hogs will root it around a little but that's about it. I'm like Roscoe. I can put out a rock in the early spring and it'll still be there come winter.

Thats strange, I have never seen a trophy rock that hasn't been attacked around this area :?
By mattpatt
I can't get them to eat protein feed either. The only thing we've found they'll eat is corn and soybeans.
By BrianWI
Keep a rock near the corn and soybeans. Mix in the protein slowly with the corn. Get them used to it. Some deer are certainly finicky, treat them like kids and broccoli... put cheese on it.
By slay
I think the key to mineral blocks is moisture? It may help in the palatability of the mineral.
Just a guess. Mine melt away slowly in the rain and the humidity of summer.
By bigten10
has there been any luck with this bag? have the rock and its amazing there still hitting it hard with acorns down. like somebody had posted my rocks are mostly gone now and there hitting the dirt hard. one thing ive learned though is dont just put rock on top of leaves, u have to scrape leaves away. and then they will come hard at it. has anyone seen this bag at tractor supply or a dicks, etc.? thanx
By mattpatt
Our deer don't like either one
By Mjn1979
Tractor supply sells the trophy rock 465 and the local deer herd loves the stuff. I had started a new lick with the 465 back in March and now there is a hole 4 feet wide and 18 inches deep where the deer are hitting it.
By bobcat
I had seen this stuff advertised and wanted to give it a try, but haven't found a local store that carries it yet.

I have seen it at Tractor & Supply.
By yoderj@cox.net
It doesn't much sense to me. The thing they are attracted to in all the mineral supplements is salt which is much cheaper to buy by itself. Unless your deer are penned, there is no scientific evidence to support any improvement antler size or herd health. If you're gonna use minerals based on a feeling they might help, you can save a lot by just using salt, dical, and trace verses the commercial BOB minerals.

Personally I've stopped using them completely. I did try a couple licks for getting a buck inventory but I my case bucks primarily used the sites before they were antlered and I got significantly more pictures with black flash on small fields. Baiting is illegal in our state, so having licks reduced the huntable acreage I had available. There are some diseases that do spread faster with the additional face to face contact point source attractants encourage. When I added it all up, I decided the risks were small but the benefits were even smaller and that I could use that money and time much better on other habitat projects.
By BrianWI
While they are attracted to salt, they do like other minerals as well. You are right: there is no verifiable improvement in antler size. Trying to give deer large amounts of calcium just doesn't work as thats NOT how deer grow antlers. Better is much smaller amounts of calcium over time.

As for herd health, it DOES help improve it. Salt in spring is BENEFICIAL to the deer in itself and in some cases trace minerals have been shown to provide benefit to does having fawns.

There has been no proof of spreading disease. Since deer already congregate around point sources, like licking branches with intentionally passed secretions, risk using mineral sites is very minimal.

Habitat and food plots are generally much more beneficial but of course those can be much harder to do. A mineral lick, with attractants, is often the best way to pull in deer in many cases.
By yoderj@cox.net
While they are attracted to salt, they do like other minerals as well. You are right: there is no verifiable improvement in antler size. Trying to give deer large amounts of calcium just doesn't work as thats NOT how deer grow antlers. Better is much smaller amounts of calcium over time.

As for herd health, it DOES help improve it. Salt in spring is BENEFICIAL to the deer in itself and in some cases trace minerals have been shown to provide benefit to does having fawns.

There has been no proof of spreading disease. Since deer already congregate around point sources, like licking branches with intentionally passed secretions, risk using mineral sites is very minimal.

Habitat and food plots are generally much more beneficial but of course those can be much harder to do. A mineral lick, with attractants, is often the best way to pull in deer in many cases.

Brian,

You are incorrect about the improvement to herd health in free ranging deer. Do minerals benefit deer? Absolutely. Do mineral supplements benefit free ranging deer? There are absolutely zero studies to show that they do. All claims are based on penned deer and livestock studies. Deer clearly need minerals including sodium however, they have such a varied diet in nature, plants both native and planted become the delivery system. While an individual deer with a specific genetic or disease condition may benefit, the free ranging herd does not.

As for disease transmission, point source attractants increase face to face contact. Clearly there is face to face contact in an natural environment but at a lower rate. There are only subset of deer diseases that are spread this way. As I said, I don't think this is a large risk, but it is a risk.

Everyone needs to decide for themselves if benefits are worth the risk. That is certainly not the case for me, but everyone can decide for themselves, but the science is clear.

Thanks,

Jack
By Sodbuster
Asked Grant Woods about any studies involving minerals and free ranging deer. He said there was a study done by a doctor in the 50's. He gave the name of the doctor and said you could google the study, but I can't remember the guy's name. The other 2 studies were done on penned deer.
By yoderj@cox.net
Asked Grant Woods about any studies involving minerals and free ranging deer. He said there was a study done by a doctor in the 50's. He gave the name of the doctor and said you could google the study, but I can't remember the guy's name. The other 2 studies were done on penned deer.

Please post the reference. I believe when you read the study you will find that it does not support the conclusion that mineral supplements benefit free ranging deer.

Trust me. If there was a published peer reviewed study supporting that conclusion it would be the first link on every mineral supplement web page. There are many penned deer and livestock studies in the literature and those are frequently referenced by the mineral supplement companies.
By BrianWI
Brian,

You are incorrect about the improvement to herd health in free ranging deer. Do minerals benefit deer? Absolutely. Do mineral supplements benefit free ranging deer? There are absolutely zero studies to show that they do. All claims are based on penned deer and livestock studies. Deer clearly need minerals including sodium however, they have such a varied diet in nature, plants both native and planted become the delivery system. While an individual deer with a specific genetic or disease condition may benefit, the free ranging herd does not.

As for disease transmission, point source attractants increase face to face contact. Clearly there is face to face contact in an natural environment but at a lower rate. There are only subset of deer diseases that are spread this way. As I said, I don't think this is a large risk, but it is a risk.

Everyone needs to decide for themselves if benefits are worth the risk. That is certainly not the case for me, but everyone can decide for themselves, but the science is clear.

Thanks,

Jack

Unfortunately, Jack, you are simply wrong.

Deer crave the salt for osmonic balance in their blood. That alone is a benefit provided to wild deer. There is no argument against this simple fact. WHEN THE BALANCE IS OPTIMAL DEER DON'T CRAVE SALT.

Another study was done on selenium in an area lacking in this mineral. An artificial source of this mineral was found to increase the blood levels of local animals, including deer, to normal levels.

It is also well known that crops meant for human use, corn and beans and others, often deplete the local soils of needed minerals. Animals in the wild that eat these crops have been found to lack certain minerals (along with the domestic animals and humans). Supplementation helps to correct the problems (one of the same reasons we supplement domestic animals). While in the U.S. we are FAR behind in our attention to this mineral depletion, other areas of the world have been studying it for some time and actually actively return minerals to their farmed soils, in itself a form of supplementation. Areas of low magnesium, for instance, are well documented.

Will deer fall over dead without help? Nope, even without 100% of their optimum mineral intake. Will supplementation help? Yes. In areas where certain minerals are lacking, supplementation has been found to work on several species of animals.
By Roscoe
Beyond having a spot to attract animals for hunting/census/survey/great camera shots...putting out minerals is a complete waste of time on a wild deer herd. I've never heard anything different from anyone who wasn't associated with a supplement company. But please post up links to long term independent scientific studies that conclusively prove that mineral supplementation makes a tangible difference in the overall health of wild deer. I have to agree with Jack in that if that evidence existed, the big supplement companies would be hyping it like crazy. And I should add, I'm fine with selling/marketing all this stuff as an awesome attractant, but you'll have a hard time convincing me they are anymore than that for deer not in a pen.

I got this sequence off the camera last night. wh[…]

Potty trained turkey

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: don't drink the water !!!

I have not seen this one before. https://vimeo.co[…]

Nice one towards the end there