I think you know what you are doing here... :)
By johnnydeerhunter
I'll have pics in a few days. I set up a new lick yesterday, bag of watersoftner salt mixed with the dirt and a cup or two of grape kool aid on top. Finished the site at 12:49 yesterday and at 6:31 the deer found it. They were hitting it during daylight hours today too.
By ribsyj
Did you make kool aid or just dump powder out?
By johnnydeerhunter
I dump the powder on top, it's mixed with sugar.
By ribsyj
Cool thx
By johnnydeerhunter
If you're going to do this try and use the regular rock salt for the watersoftner, not the pellets. The pellets take longer to dissolve and the squirrels like to run away with them. I tried the pellets once and it wasn't as effective as the rock salt. If the area that you are planning on setting up in is cover with leaves and the top layer of soil is like peat moss with lots of leaf litter then make sure you dig down until you hit dirt dirt, mix that with the salt. The leaf litter/fluffy soil doesn't work as well and you don't get that wet lick like setup. with the true soil the salt will absorb moisture which will transfer to the soil and then you get a somewhat muddy or wet dirt look and that helps dissolve the salt. Eventually you won't see any salt pellets but the deer will continue to lick the dirt. I usually add more salt every two or three months.
By dhunter
Kool deal! Trophy Rock is now selling their scraps & it's a better deal... 30lb bag @ Tractor Supply & deer love it!!! Of course I top it off with .... GRAPE KOOLAIDE !!! Whoop! Gonna make a pull this Wkend,,, PUMPED!!!!
By johnnydeerhunter
I tried the trophy rock bagged stuff last year. Still like the $3.99 bag of water softener salt. The tr stuff did ok.
By Jim Vokes NY
It is totally illegal to use salt licks, corn or any bait that may attract deer or bear in NYS. That is even though the selling of any of these products is allowed?

The DEC wanted HOGS eliminated and allowed hunting by any means 24/7.. I asked if they had a list of areas where they were and if I could bait them. Their response was that they could not give that information out and NO BAIT that might attract deer or bear could be used.

This year they banned the hunting of HOGS????? They said that hunters were causing the herds to disperse and preventing the DEC from effectively controling their HOG CONTROL efforts!
By wewilley
i like the salt also i live in south east NC no rock salt here i do the water softener salt and then use T ROCK on top that works well down here after a couple of hard rains refresh the salt
jd how do you mix the sugar and kool aid i mean amount of sugar to kool aid thanks bill
By johnnydeerhunter
Bill if I buy it ready to mix with water (if you were going to actually drink it) I don't add sugar. If I use the packets that is just the grape flavoring then I follow the instructions on the packet. I think it's a cup of sugar per packet. Basically you want to make it like you were going to mix the drink but just don't use water.

FYI, I did make a couple of gallons of grape kool aid drink once and set up a video camera on it. The deer loved it. I only left it for a couple of days, I figured that it probably wasn't the best for the deer. I even added ice.
By mattpatt
I wish I could get my deer interested in this stuff. So far no joy... They just won't use it.
By dhunter
I mix 50lb bag pool salt ($5) large box Arm & Hammer SuperWash ($3) 30lb Bag Trophy Rock ($12) & topit off with a small tub of Grape Koolaide Powder ($3). Super Walmart has everything except I get Trophy Rock from Tractor Supply....u might try a bag of corn to introduce... But once they knw the smell of Koolaide ... They'll be hittin it within 3hrs of deployment !!!! I'm heading up to check BTC that's been out since Turkey Season....PUMPED!!!
By Steve S
I tried something a couple of weeks ago with a couple of new licks to see what would happen, I made some licks about ten feet in front of the cameras, then put a feed block about ten feet behind the licks, I found the deer started hitting the licks in just a few days but didn't, according to the photos, still haven't hit the blocks, just photos of crows and other birds on them
By mattpatt
I can't even get my deer to eat out of a covered feed trough. There's too much green stuff for them this time of year. We have been getting some timely rains so everything is doing real good right now. Great for summer food plots and any trees you might have put out but the deer down here have a lot to choose from at the moment. If this rain ever decides to stop and everything starts to burn up in the 100 degree heat then they might go for it. Don't get me wrong... I hope the rain never ends. Would be nice to not have to worry about watering anything this year.
By bowhtr1
Matt we have plenty of rain and I have great summer plots but they are still coming to my feeders for the soybeans. I have also found that in some areas the deer will not use salt licks very much no matter what you put on them. I guess it depends on what the deer need and what minerals are available. I had a camp where the deer very seldom went to a lick and another spot on the Mississippi river 10 miles away that I put one 50 lbs bag of trace mineral out and two weeks later had a hole one foot deep at the site. Over the years I have seen this repeated many many times.

A peaceful scene from the Ridgetec Lookout Dual. […]

Reconyx Errors

It sounds like a firmware reload is what I would t[…]

How many different bucks do you see use a single s[…]

Spypoint Link Dark

I purchased this camera a couple months ago and I […]