I think you know what you are doing here... :)
By NantucketShedHunter
Having trouble this summer getting my deer to find the salt blocks I put out for them. Today I layered the salt block with molasses and added some apples drizzled with molasses. I'm hoping that'll do the trick. I have my Little Acorn MMS cam watching over the setup. Waiting now for the texts to come in on my phone.

By johnnydeerhunter
Martie, have you tried the plain white salt blocks? They are generally cheaper and I have found the deer like them better without the minerals and vitamins.
By NantucketShedHunter
Haven't tried the plain old white blocks. Last year I put out two Trophy Rocks at different locations and the deer attacked them until they ate every last crumb. I laced them with grape Kool Aid to get them going on them. I don't know what's going on this year with my herd. They seem to have no interest in anything I put out for them.
By NantucketShedHunter
Trying something else today. If this doesn't work it's back to the drawing board.

By johnnydeerhunter
Trophy rock was the second best thing I tried next to the water softener salt/solar salt. I never had any luck with those red blocks, the white yes but the red no. I think it's the taste of the vitamins in them that turn the deer away. The water softener salt mixed with the dirt and a little grape kool aid powder on top has worked eveywhere I have used it as long as I mix it with dirt and not just the leaf litter on top of the soil if that's what's there. Trophy rock is 91-92 percent salt and minerals, no vitamins if memory serves me correctly.
By Mjn1979
I starTed a new lick with the trophy rock 465 3 months ago and the deer have a hole dug down a foot deep.
By bhearn92574
I starTed a new lick with the trophy rock 465 3 months ago and the deer have a hole dug down a foot deep.

I have used nearly everything under the sink from a homebrew lick to red salt blocks record rack apple flavored blocks deer cane etc.. Most all the main ingredient in these are salt then flavoring added to make it smell great or look different.. If you get you some rock salt Ice cream salt trace red mineral salt etc I'm sure you know how to make a lick here is some things have found to work better. Find a well used trail near or close to water and or a bedding area clay soils work better as the salt doesn't leach out in the soil as fast. Clear the area of debris and churn the soil area up about 6 inches deep not a hole or use a rotten stump. Pour the salt in the area and mix in the soil. I use grape flavored kool aide as a smell or flavoring to attract them. You can also used dried molasses. Dicalcium phosphate mixed in with your lick along with soda ash.refresh every couple months starting in like march then again in May then in July....
By bhearn92574

I have used nearly everything under the sink from a homebrew lick to red salt blocks record rack apple flavored blocks deer cane etc.. Most all the main ingredient in these are salt then flavoring added to make it smell great or look different.. If you get you some rock salt Ice cream salt trace red mineral salt etc I'm sure you know how to make a lick here is some things have found to work better. Find a well used trail near or close to water and or a bedding area clay soils work better as the salt doesn't leach out in the soil as fast. Clear the area of debris and churn the soil area up about 6 inches deep not a hole or use a rotten stump. Pour the salt in the area and mix in the soil. I use grape flavored kool aide as a smell or flavoring to attract them. You can also used dried molasses. Dicalcium phosphate mixed in with your lick along with soda ash.refresh every couple months starting in like march then again in May then in July....
By bhearn92574

By Sitkaspruce
Having trouble this summer getting my deer to find the salt blocks I put out for them. Today I layered the salt block with molasses and added some apples drizzled with molasses. I'm hoping that'll do the trick. I have my Little Acorn MMS cam watching over the setup. Waiting now for the texts to come in on my phone.

Man if I used this set up, I would have more than a few bears show up.......looks good though!!

I just use plan old water softner salt (99.8% pure) and add some grape kool-aid to help (which does attract the odd bear). Switch to grain in late Oct, after the bears have gone to sleep.

Cheers

SS

I got this sequence off the camera last night. wh[…]

Potty trained turkey

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: don't drink the water !!!

I have not seen this one before. https://vimeo.co[…]

Nice one towards the end there