I think you know what you are doing here... :)
By Roscoe
A week or two late this year, but got out and did our plots this weekend.

My main plot before:

And after:

And my uncle's main plot. Wish we would've had time to get a week or two and hit it with the sprayer first, but it'll be alright...when/if it rains. Was going to turn my feeder camera off when we started but decided to let it run while we worked on the plot. Made for a pretty cool time lapse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05KefHMJnsg
By Roscoe
Guessing you planted cereal rye? Are you able to grow perennial plots there or does it get to hot and dry?

Yes, with oats and wheat also. We are about 30 days from our first feeze and maybe 45 days or more from a hard freeze. We had 2 rains totalling 2" a week ago, so the soil was pretty perfect to work/plant...of course not a drop of rain in the 7 day forecast :lol: . I topped it with a little durana and brassicas just for grins to see what they would do. I added clover to this plot a couple of years ago in early October. It sprouted pretty nicely, but then we had about 3 weeks of zero rain and temps around 90*. By the time it finally rained, the clover was history. The grains survived...barely.

I honestly have not tried to get anything to survive our summers. Too many 100* days and long stretches w/o rain. We are talking about doing spring plots next year for the first time just to see how it goes. I've got room to do several more acres of plots on my end of the place, so I think we might start to experiment with a few things over the next couple of years.
By yoderj@cox.net
Ross,

Hope those plots work for you in the big TX. This is a tough year for us in VA. We had a mast crop failure last year and a record harvest on our property since the food plots were the only game in town for the deer. We then had an unusually harsh winter and with no acorns, our plots were decimated. We had poor recruitment this spring since the remaining does were not in tip-top shape. On top of that spring came very late and we planted our warm season annuals late. We had several weeks without rain after planting. By the time the beans got started, does had dropped fawns are were nipping off the beans before they could get established. With the bean failure, we did not have our normal immigration during the summer months. Finally, coyotes started using our property this winter.

Now this fall our food plots look great with almost no daytime use because acorns are abundant. Deer don't need to move to find top quality food. This makes hunting pretty difficult.

The good news is that the two kids we took out on our farm for youth day in late September both scored. I missed one doe that was nervous and jumped the string and I passed on one fawn. No one has taken a single deer during archery season which started on the first Saturday of October.

So far, my best harvest of the year has be turnips! They are abundant and I bring about 20 lbs home each weekend to give away at church.

Best of luck for your season,

Jack
By Roscoe
Thanks Jack. That cool about the kids on youth day!

I pretty much went from only bowhunting to only rifle hunting a couple of years ago because we were being overrun with pigs and coyotes. Got tired of missing kill opportunities on them because I was bowhunting. I'm getting a doe with twins and a doe with a single fawn on camera this year. This may be the first year ever in 10 yrs of having the place that we've had 3 fawns on camera this late in the year. To often they have disappeared from their mom's side over the summer. Rifle season opens Nov 1st. I told my uncle yesterday that I didn't care whether it was first light, last light or anytime in between...opening day, closing day or any day in between...I was shooting every pig or coyote I saw regardless of whether it might screw up my deer hunting or not. :mrgreen:

Acorn crop is strange here this year. I have probably about 25 Live Oak trees here at the house of varying sizes, virtually not a single acorn on any of them. Out at deer camp last weekend it was hit and miss. You'd find one Oak that was loaded with acorns...green ones everywhere on the ground, and then there would be at least half dozen that had no acorns to speak of, sometimes side by side with the heavy producer. Smaller oaks...huge oaks, no rhyme or reason. It's almost ridiculous at how many acorns a few trees have for so many to have virtually none. And I came across a couple of Mexican Plum trees on the place last year. One is probably 15'-20' high and the other is about 10' high. Bucks nearly killed the scrawny littler one last year rubbing on it. Well the larger tree has not the first fruit on it and the little one is loaded. They are about 50yrds a part (I saved a few seeds from the smaller tree and just got some rootmakers today).

I also got Texas Persimmon seeds from a place a little south of me today. I think I'm going to give them a try in the rootmakers as well and see of I can get some of them started on our place as well.

Our plots are just a few acres. Not a huge investment in time or money. We mowed, fertilized, plowed, packed, broadcasted and packed again. If it rains, we'll have some great plots again this year. If it doesn't.... :roll: :lol: I don't know how farmers do it season after season.
By yoderj@cox.net
Ross,

Sounds great! We have feral pigs in the state now, but fortunately not in my area yet. Sounds like you've got the kind of acorn crop I love to hunt during bowseason. Once you find a dropping white oak in that scenario, you have a gold mine.

Good luck with the persimmons. My new trees this year are Allegheny Chinquapins and Pawpaw. I found a couple ACs on our property and collected the nuts. I purchased the pawpaw seeds. I'll still be starting chestnuts this year as well, both Chinese and Dunstan.

Thanks,

jack
By Roscoe
No White Oaks in our area that I'm aware of. I think they are more an east Texas tree.

I grabbed a few acorns of a Chinkapin Oak when visiting the Dallas Botanical gardens a couple of weeks ago. Gonna give them a shot. Need to get a few Burr Oak acorns from the farm in the next couple weeks too.
By Sodbuster
We have a big acorn crop this year, both red and white. Big fan of the Chinkapin. Found one the other day that was under 10ft tall and it was loaded with acorns. Have seen several other's in the 15ft range that are loaded. They are the fastest producing oaks in my neck of the woods.
By mattpatt
The Missouri Department of Conservation has (among other things) Chinkapin seedlings for .80 each. Hard to beat that price even if they charge you a $10 out of state shipping fee
By Ol Arky
Are you gettin' any of this rain Ross???
By Roscoe

Oh yeah! I'm using an app called Farm Logs that says we are up to 1.25". It runs a little behind time wise, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were closer to 2". Best part is that it has been just a slow slow soaking rain. No real downpours at all. Neighbor out there said it pretty much sprinkled all night. Couldn't have asked for much better for our plots. Gonna be clear, sunny and 71* tomorrow. All that seed is going jump out of the ground in the next few days. I'm pumped!!! :mrgreen:
By Ol Arky

Oh yeah! I'm using an app called Farm Logs that says we are up to 1.25". It runs a little behind time wise, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were closer to 2". Best part is that it has been just a slow slow soaking rain. No real downpours at all. Neighbor out there said it pretty much sprinkled all night. Couldn't have asked for much better for our plots. Gonna be clear, sunny and 71* tomorrow. All that seed is going jump out of the ground in the next few days. I'm pumped!!! :mrgreen:

Good deal... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

A peaceful scene from the Ridgetec Lookout Dual. […]

Reconyx Errors

It sounds like a firmware reload is what I would t[…]

How many different bucks do you see use a single s[…]

Spypoint Link Dark

I purchased this camera a couple months ago and I […]