I think you know what you are doing here... :)
By johnnydeerhunter
I don't like the gravity type feeders because the turkeys and squirrels can empty them out pretty quickly. I've made one from PVC pipe that uses a T-WYE so the deer have to reach inside to get the corn but it gets a little pricey for the parts (maybe around $25 but I'm looking for cheap) So I finally came up with an idea I think will work and if a bear gets it no big deal. I took the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket (I used spackle buckets) and cut it off leaving a lip. The one in the picture is 1-1/4" for the lip and I will probably go 2" on the next one. I drilled a half of a 3" hole in the bottom of the main bucket (like Jerry's hole in the wall on the Tom and Jerry cartoons) and then cut a 9" section out of the lip on the bottom bucket part. I then screwed the two together, I also used a piece of flashing around the hole in the bucket to keep the squirrels from chewing on it and opening it up larger. Duct tape would probably work too. A light coat of paint to hide it a little and a block of wood on the back to help angle the bucket so the corn runs towards the hole. An eye bolt in the tree with a short piece of chain to mount it, a hook would be better. Keep in mind when you drill the hole in the bucket to put it perpendicular to the way the handle is so when you mount it the corn is running out the way the bucket is angled. Drill a couple holes in the bottom of the bucket and feed tray to let any water out.

By LibbyLA
That's pretty neat!

I can tell you don't have pigs or coons :mrgreen: . You think squirrels and turkeys will empty a feeder? You haven't seen anything until you've seen coons throwing feed on the ground, and pigs will take down a feeder in no time flat, given half a chance.
By johnnydeerhunter
No pigs but we do have coons. Knock on wood I've been lucky with them. I don't fill these feeders on a regular basis, it's either for a picture set up or to hunt over. Having a feeder set up full time the deer quickly learn that the food is always there and become nocturnal quickly.
By LibbyLA
In MS, you can't hunt over feed so that wouldn't work for us.

We use gravity feeders and our deer are nocturnal, but they were nocturnal even when we used sling feeders. They definitely didn't show up on cue when the feeders went off. The pigs didn't, either. I keep seeing Jager Pro videos showing well-trained wild hogs showing up at the feeder on time and just marvel because ours didn't seem to care. They showed up when they felt like it.

Might be a good use for big cat litter buckets.
By johnnydeerhunter
That's pretty neat!

I can tell you don't have pigs or coons :mrgreen: . You think squirrels and turkeys will empty a feeder? You haven't seen anything until you've seen coons throwing feed on the ground, and pigs will take down a feeder in no time flat, given half a chance.

You need a couple of these if you want to see a feeder empty in a hurry, he's even laughing at me in a few of the pictures. Notice in the 6th picture a yote sneaking through after the bear falls asleep and in the last pic he left me a nice pile of recycled corn. I've seen this behavior before where they will stay at a bait site until everything is gone. I once had one sit on top of a new feed block and eat it all up, they don't like to share.

By Big JohnP
Very nice pics. My hunting partners lost two of those tube feeders to bears last fall. Ripped them right off the trees and then chewed them up.

I got this sequence off the camera last night. wh[…]

Potty trained turkey

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: don't drink the water !!!

I have not seen this one before. https://vimeo.co[…]

Nice one towards the end there