I think you know what you are doing here... :)
By johnnydeerhunter
I took a heavy duty yard rake to the edge of the field today to see how easy it was going to be to losen the soil. I could quickly get the top 1/2" loose on the compacted areas and the softer areas was getting an inch easily and quickly. The plan is to loosen the soil with the rake, spread the seed, maybe make one pass over the seed with a leaf rake to give it a little cover and then use a flat roller to roll it. Then I guess just hope for the best. Also cleared a spot in the woods behind the house when I got home. I'll give this spot a little time for the weeds to start growing and then spray it and give it a week or two before seeding Anyone know if the weed killers that control weeds for up to a year are ok to use on an unseeded plot?

The seed I ordered is from Hancock seed and should be here the week of the 17th.
https://hancockseed.com/hancocks-fall-w ... g-865.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

Here's the breakdown of the seed, has to be something in there that they will like.
25% Grain Rye
25% Oats
15% Austrian Winter Peas
10% Dixie Crimson Clover
10% Chicory
5% Purple Top Turnip
5% Daikon Radish
5% Sugar Beets

Future plot behind the house, worms is good I would guess.

By yoderj@cox.net
JDH,

Looking good. For the small plot in the picture, be sure to do a soil test. Generally tiny plots in hardwoods like that are acidic and require a lot of lime. Generally, in a plot that small clover is about all you can grow due to the limited light. You also have to blow the leaves off after they fall .

Good Luck,

Jack
By johnnydeerhunter
Thanks Jack, it should actually get a decent amount of sunlight, our lawn isn't too far away and the little bit of clearing should allow sunlight to get through from the side.
By SportsmanNH
Johnny I wouldn't spray it with the weed killer at all. That stuff will kill pre emergent grass and clover seed for months. Just lime it good with granulated lime , or powdered lime , then throw the clover seed or whatever that mix is along with starter fertilizer . Most lime content takes 3-6 months to actually benefit the soil. But there is one kind that the feed store up here sells that breaks down much faster. I think it works in 30 days

Then do a rain dance around the plot at least twice a week ! :shock:
Oh , and make sure you set a cam on the plot and post vids of your rain dance so we can judge your performance :lol:
By johnnydeerhunter
If I do a rain dance I won't have to shoot the deer, they'll fall over dead from laughing. Not only is dancing not one of my strong points but it's pretty downright horrible. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I was hoping some of the radish or or turnips from the Hancock seed would come up here. I know it's a small plot but maybe I'll plant one end with some of the seed from Hancock but most of it with the clover since that's been suggested a few times.
By johnnydeerhunter
Just lime it good with granulated lime , or powdered lime , then throw the clover seed or whatever that mix is along with starter fertilizer .

Are you saying lime, seed and fertilize at the same time?

This is my first attempt at food plots other than tossing out a bag of throw and grow a couple years ago so I'm new to all this stuff.

The plots at the farm on the field edge should be ready to go since that was prepped for the corn to be plated. This plot behind the house is probably the one that will need the most help.
By SportsmanNH
Just lime it good with granulated lime , or powdered lime , then throw the clover seed or whatever that mix is along with starter fertilizer .

Are you saying lime, seed and fertilize at the same time?
Yes , you can put it on at the same time. But here is a little caution.
Lime doesn't hurt anything because it breaks down very slowly. When growing a big garden with my Grandfather we always limed the garden in the fall so it would be ready in the spring . It takes that long to break down. There is one kind that breaks down faster

Do not use regular fertilizer at first. It will burn the seed. Use Starter fertilizer. Its more expensive , but for the size of your plot the cost is minimal. Dont get the kind that has built in weed killer. Most dont have it , but some do.
Starter fertilizer will give it the initial boost it needs to grow. Its no different than starting a new lawn. The seed and starter fertilizer are applied at the same time. If it rains you will have sprouts within 10 days. After it gets some decent growth you can apply starter fertilizer lightly a second time. This will boost the root system .
But your biggest enemy will be if it doesn't rain. Watch the weather and try to seed and fertilize it a day or 2 before it rains. If you really want to go all out , get a bale of " straw hay " ( not feed hay ) and lightly cover the plot after you seed and fertilize it. Dont bury it . just give it a sprinkle of hay over the top. When it rains the hay will hold the water and really help it germinate even better
By johnnydeerhunter
Thanks, I found some fast acting lime that I'm going to try and pickup and spread tomorrow. Then I'll fertilize and seed once the seed gets here.
By bobcat
You will also need to keep all the leaves off of it when they start falling. A good leaf blower works for me....... :D
By yoderj@cox.net
JDH,

The important thing is to get a soil test and apply the right amount of lime. The largest percentage of your mix is winter rye. It is very tolerant of low pH and low fertility. The speed lime adjusts is dependent on a large number of factors including the particle size. In general, fast acting lime does not last as long. How long lime lasts depends on your soil type. Lime will move through sandy soil much faster than through clay. With heavy clay folks often incorporate the lime because it moves so slowly through the soil. Folks with primarily sandy soil generally top dress because it moves so quickly.

So, the key is getting a soil test first. They are not expensive. They will ask what crop you are planting. They won't likely have this mix or a similar one as on option. You can specify clover with small grain as target crop. The recommendation for that will work well for your mix.

Think of lime as a marathon. The important thing is to adjust the pH over the long haul. Once you have your soil test results apply your lime. If you are top dressing with lime, you can apply that either before or after you seed. It is better if you can apply it first, but when you plant is largely determined by where you live. So, if you need to plant now, you can always lime later, but if you can wait to plant, do so and apply the lime and fertilizer first.

Don't sweat the details too much. Keep in mind that with a plot that small, it doesn't take much attention from deer to hammer it.

Best of luck,

Jack
By johnnydeerhunter
Thanks Jack. I'll probably still top dress with the fast acting lime today since we are going to get some good rain tonight and tomorrow. The instructions say the lime will last for 4 weeks. Maybe I'll wait 2 or 3 weeks and then grab a soil sample or just grab one now and take into account what I've added once I get the results. This plot is more for fun since I can check it every night or even grab a beverage and walk out and watch it grow.
By yoderj@cox.net
That will work fine. Just keep in mind that faster acting lime does not last as long so be sure to re-test down the road.
By johnnydeerhunter
Stopped to pick up the fast acting lime and it didn't look like what I was needing so I got a 40 lb bag of granulated. Made the plot a little bigger, 540 sq/ ft now and I used the whole bag. Also discovered my chest crank seeder is in need of replacement.
By iceman10
Look forward to future pictures to see if your blend will grow in the limited light . Good luck & thanks for sharing .
By johnnydeerhunter
Got home a little early today since I had a dr appt. Day was overcast but at 4:00 even with clouds in the sky there was some sun on the plot. I was surprised how fast the little maple trees are shooting up already.

A peaceful scene from the Ridgetec Lookout Dual. […]

Reconyx Errors

It sounds like a firmware reload is what I would t[…]

How many different bucks do you see use a single s[…]

Spypoint Link Dark

I purchased this camera a couple months ago and I […]