I think you know what you are doing here... :)
By Anthony
Well if your deer are like mine, just plant anything you DON'T want them to eat that grows well and of course they will come. I can hardly have any nice plants and that includes azaleas, hydrangas, blue berries, tomatoes, squash, beans, etc ..
By SportsmanNH
Well if your deer are like mine, just plant anything you DON'T want them to eat that grows well and of course they will come. I can hardly have any nice plants and that includes azaleas, hydrangas, blue berries, tomatoes, squash, beans, etc ..

WOW ! What a CHEAPSKATE you are ! Aren't those deer entitled to those goodies as bonus payments for being the loyal employees you hired for testing cameras ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
By johnnydeerhunter
Got the seed on Saturday and rushed to get it out yesterday since there was a 40 to 60 percent chance of rain the next three days. Of course after the seed hits the ground the chance of rain dropped to 10 to 20 percent. Glad I had a scale and seeder because I would have tossed out way to much seed by hand. I kept the seeder only open enough to let the larger seed barely make it through and made multiple passes until the hopper was empty. Two of the plots there was lots of moisture in the soil so I didn't roll it, just passed over lightly with a leaf rake to cover the seed a little bit. The two other plots were pretty dry so I ran the rake over them and rolled them with an empty roller (no water inside for weight). The plot at the house I fertilized with starter fertilizer but the others I didn't since they were prepped for the corn. I could still smell the manure smell sometimes when I was raking to break up the soil.

By johnnydeerhunter
Not sure these are going to amount to anything since I got them in so late but the pumpkins are growing.

By johnnydeerhunter
Haven't gotten rain since I seeded. The bottom two plots where the soil was a little damp have a few thing sprouting up but not much.

By yoderj@cox.net
Looking good JDH! I think that mix will do well. Best of luck and remember to post the picture of the deer you shoot over it!
By johnnydeerhunter
Since it's been over two weeks since I broadcast the seed do I need to worry about loss of seed from the birds?
By bowhtr1
I would think so. I seeded mine today. Ran over the plot with four wheeler to get good ground contact. This also covered some seed. I went back over with triple 13. Let the bird pick up some of that. I will be getting rain tomorrow or Friday.
You might want to over seed before the next rain.
By johnnydeerhunter
Thanks Tim, I would guess to just spread a little bit of seed, not the normal suggested rate?
By bowhtr1
Thanks Tim, I would guess to just spread a little bit of seed, not the normal suggested rate?

I would go with half of what you put down at first.
By johnnydeerhunter
Thanks. Heading there after work tonight as long as I can beat the rain. I have enough seed I'm probably just going to spread some on top of the ground without raking and make the plots larger too.
By johnnydeerhunter
Got it done, probably went closer to 75% of normal seed rate. Realized when I was spreading before I was just taking into account the plot size and really didn't allow for seed getting outside the plot area when I was broadcasting. Also put down some starter fertilizer. I'm sure not the suggested amount but split it up between the plots. Below are a few pics of how the initial seeding is doing in the areas where there's some shade. I guess it's not too bad considering we haven't gotten a drop of rain since I spread the seed. Also a screen shot of the forecast.
ImageImageImage
By bowhtr1
Now you have to worry about the seeds floating off. :mrgreen:
By johnnydeerhunter

I thought of that too :roll:
By SportsmanNH

I thought of that too :roll:

Thats why I mentioned to you to put some straw hay over the plot . To keep the moisture on the seed, plus it protects it from washing away ! :roll:
Nobody ever listens to me. :(
I think its because im a " Video Guy " . :( :( :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

With the tree in the middle being 31 yards, the ca[…]

At this scrape only two so far, but a smaller buck[…]

A peaceful scene from the Ridgetec Lookout Dual. […]

Reconyx Errors

It sounds like a firmware reload is what I would t[…]