I think you know what you are doing here... :)
By bowhtr1
Not going to work out so well for them. Some people learn the hard way.
Thanks for the heads up Jack
By yoderj@cox.net
My guess is that it will benefit QDMA financially but really hurt QDM. I'm just hoping that one of the other forums achieves enough critical mass and finds enough funding to handle the traffic of a forum as large as QDMAs was.
By swnoel
I guess I'll be removing their link... the forum was the only reason I went there!

Maybe they believe they're the experts and those contributing free information are not...
By bowhtr1
I guess I'll be removing their link... the forum was the only reason I went there!

Maybe they believe they're the experts and those contributing free information are not...

I was kind of thinking the same thing.
By yoderj@cox.net
I doubt that is the case. Anytime you provide a public forum, it becomes difficult to control the message. If I'm a company selling food plot stuff, do I really want to sponsor an organization that my include my advertising in their site and publication but supports a public forum that allows folks with credibility to criticize the value of my product?

Ask Anthony about he heat he got from trail camera companies in the early days objecting to bad reviews. When you annual budget is closing in on 3 mil, you really have to ask if you can continue to get enough financial support to grow without capitulating.

In the end, they made the right decision for the future of QDMA, but threw a great QDM (notice no A) tool under the bus. I can't support QDMA like I used to, but in the end, they will be just fine.

The problem is that there is no single place on the net that has the recognition and credibility of QDMA for the existing forum users to embrace. Instead, they will be distributed over a number of competing forums related to deer. It is very difficult to be active on multiple forums on the same topic.

Maybe in the end, one forum will stand out and become the central place for deer management advice. The problem like always is how it get funded. Anyone can start a small forum for nearly zero cost, but once it grows and gets the traffic necessary , the cost becomes significant. Unless there is a real white knight to finance it, advertising always creeps back in. The only other option is user sponsorship and folks have become accustom to free access on the internet. Once you charge for access the user base diminishes. Anthony and I had that discussion about this site years ago as well.

That's my 2 cents for what it is worth.

Thanks,

jack
By yoderj@cox.net
After looking at the alternatives, I decided to transfer most of the threads I had started on QDMA over to Habitat-talk http://habitat-talk.com/index.php

As of yesterday, the QDMA forums are read-only, but I was not sure how long they will last. There is a thread on Habitat-talk that details my rationale for choosing that forum rather than other options.

Thanks,

Jack
By Anthony
I now have Chasingame running on Amazon in a higher capacity than ever before server with scalability.

Can we offer to create some similar forums and accept the traffic here? I do have the server power now or I would not suggest it.
By yoderj@cox.net
Anthony,

I think the central issue is the loss of a central repository that had a well respected reputation the subject matter and ranked high in the search engines. There are lots of forum options, but without critical mass they don't provide the same access to newbie's in the habitat arena. I do monitor the habitat forum over here as I said I would but it is rarely used.

Thanks,

jack

I got this sequence off the camera last night. wh[…]

Potty trained turkey

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: don't drink the water !!!

I have not seen this one before. https://vimeo.co[…]

Nice one towards the end there