Use this forum to post questions and issues for discussion related to Covert cameras. Note: Please post threads pertaining to cellular cams in the "Cellular Trail Camera Discussion" forum.
By rkersh409
#280007 I was looking for a new cam since I threw my WGI S2 in the trash. I love the pics from the review page but its the 2012 model with 8mp. Does the 2013 12mp cam have just as good of a flash range? Also what class SD card is needed for this cam? I would appreciate any info on this can good or bad.

Thanks,
Robert
By Jake
#280017 I dont own a 2013red40 but from I seen here it seems like the flash gets out there a little more then the 2012.

Sd card info= cant quite answer that, but I run plain jane class 4 and 6 (I think) cards in my 2013 black60.

Are you into doing videos? If you are not I would say pick up a 2012 red40. from here http://www.custom1enterprises.com/custom1enterprises_017.htm

Also check out if you are going to get a 2013 best prices are here :http://www.wingsupply.com/red40/dlc-covert-scouting-cameras-extreme-red-40-scouting-camera/
Use coupon code "welcomeback12" or try "thanks10" or "welcomeback" or "dhnet". Bargain forums here have another code, but I forget.
By rkersh409
#280020 Thanks Jake for the info. It will be mostly for video. Do they take a pic and video at the same time? I mean some cams take a pic then a video at the same time.

I was checking out wingsupply but they are out of stock right now. Sportsmans guide have them for 159.99 for non-members but with limited stock as well. But is real tempting to get the 2012 from Custom1
By Mjn1979
#280024 The 2013 covert red 40 has the option of doing just video or pic first,then takes a video a couple seconds later. I have used the pic+video feature with some success.The delay between the pic and video may vary depending on the size of the pic,usually a few seconds.
By rkersh409
#280087 Thanks again guys, I won a 2013 12mp off of eBay for $127. I am ready to put it out in the woods. Which is better the security box or the python cable or both? Also am I still able to purchase the extra year warrantee for this cam?
By scdeerslayer
rkersh409 wrote:Thanks again guys, I won a 2013 12mp off of eBay for $127. I am ready to put it out in the woods. Which is better the security box or the python cable or both? Also am I still able to purchase the extra year warrantee for this cam?

I definitely prefer a security box. You can actually buy one from chasingame. Some people like to use the python with the security box, some lag bolt it to the tree, but I just use a cable with looped ends to secure it to the tree.
By bobcat
#280466 If your going to use videos I'd recommend at least a 8GB sd card. I found some Sony 16gb on sale a week or so ago for $10.95 shipped.

They are $11.15 now but still a bargain........

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... +16gb+sdhc
By rkersh409
#280500 Thanks Bobcat for the link. I got a 32GB Sandisk Ultra class 10 through our points systme at work for free. But I do need some other sd cards for other cameras.
By rgilley
#280776 I have the 2013 Red....I run a Sony Class 10 SD card in my 2013 Coverts. They work exceptionally well in the Red 40. I have a slew of Sandisk SD card in size 4, 8 and 16. I hadn't really had any problems with them except I had a half dozen or so green pictures on a camera once. I have not had a green picture on the Sony cards at all. I run Cam Lock security boxes on my Red 40's and Black 60's. I bought a Custom 1 box for a MP6 Black I have and its quality also. You should not have any problem obtaining a extended warranty on the new Red 40. You will fall in love with the video on the Red 40, I did.