Use this forum to post questions and issues for discussion related to Covert cameras. Note: Please post threads pertaining to cellular cams in the "Cellular Trail Camera Discussion" forum.
By bearlakeremf
I have 2 Black 60's where I purchased the Covert brand external battery cable that converts 12V to 6 V, plug into the bottom of the camera and then connects to a battery.

Each camera took over well over a hundred night 60 second videos on a single 12v battery charge.

All good things must come to an end, as both cables burnt out. The batteries show excess of 12v and the plug at the other end shows zero volts.

My question is what is everyone else using for external power for these cameras? I'm not going to buy more cables at $14 ea just to burn out again, but the cable ends could be used with a 6 volt battery source, such as a 6v tractor battery. What other ideas are out there that are less expensive?
By LibbyLA
We're using 6V batteries. I'm not sure which ones because I don't "do" the battery stuff, but I know that they are 42000 mAh. We have three solar panels on one. We haven't put the second one out yet, but will this weekend because we are going to be running a couple of cameras in a different location. We won't have solar panels on the second one for now, although we will probably end up with them once we finalize camera locations.
By kenfa04
I have 2 Black 60's where I purchased the Covert brand external battery cable that converts 12V to 6 V, plug into the bottom of the camera and then connects to a battery.

Each camera took over well over a hundred night 60 second videos on a single 12v battery charge.

All good things must come to an end, as both cables burnt out. The batteries show excess of 12v and the plug at the other end shows zero volts.

My question is what is everyone else using for external power for these cameras? I'm not going to buy more cables at $14 ea just to burn out again, but the cable ends could be used with a 6 volt battery source, such as a 6v tractor battery. What other ideas are out there that are less expensive?

Hate to hear this as I was planning to use the Covert adapter from a 12v battery to my new 3g cam. How long did the cables last? What 12v batt are you using? Solar panel?
Hate to hear this as I was planning to use the Covert adapter from a 12v battery to my new 3g cam. How long did the cables last? What 12v batt are you using? Solar panel?

I'm using lawn mover/garden tractor batteries, one out of our log splitter and the other out of a mower. I'm glad I never ran out and bought batteries just for the cameras.

No solar panel, those little batteries should have lasted a a few weeks. After the cables burnt out both bats still tested at a little over 12 volts so they were far from dead meaning low voltage did not kill the cables. I made it a point to check voltage each time I swapped SD cards.

I received them from Covert August 29th, one went south 4 days ago, the last one two days ago. I never got two weeks out of them. I'm going to call their customer service Monday and see if they are warranted. Absolutely no instructions or warranty info came with them. One wire colored red I put to + and the white wire I put to -. They worked great, practically no drain on the AA's.
How long did they last?

One cable lasted 14 days, the other 12 days.

Like I said, they came with no instructions and I could not see anything wrong with using a lead/acid 12v automotive style battery (scaled down for lawn tractors). 12 volts DC should be 12 volts DC no matter what style of rechargeable battery it is. Our daytime highs are in the 60's, so the little voltage reducers in the cables could not have fried from being too warm. The cameras took several 60 second videos with flash 5 minutes apart each night, maybe the cables voltage reducer needed more than a 5 minute rest to cool off but our night time lows are in the 30's & 40's.

I do not recommend anyone buy these things. I could have bought two sets of rechargeable AA's for what paid for the cables.
By pedro3252
I run my Code Black on a 12 Volt SLA battery; I use a cable that reduces from 12 to 6 volt that I bought from Cam-O. Been out about 6 months now and no problems with the cable. I typically get about 6 weeks of use before I have to recharge the battery.
By Gforce
How long did they last?

One cable lasted 14 days, the other 12 days.

Like I said, they came with no instructions and I could not see anything wrong with using a lead/acid 12v automotive style battery (scaled down for lawn tractors). 12 volts DC should be 12 volts DC no matter what style of rechargeable battery it is. Our daytime highs are in the 60's, so the little voltage reducers in the cables could not have fried from being too warm. The cameras took several 60 second videos with flash 5 minutes apart each night, maybe the cables voltage reducer needed more than a 5 minute rest to cool off but our night time lows are in the 30's & 40's.

I do not recommend anyone buy these things. I could have bought two sets of rechargeable AA's for what paid for the cables.

The problem is the voltage reducer in the cable won't support the amperage the cam pulls, mine burned out after about 2 month. I cut the burned out voltage reducer out and replaced it with a 5 amp reducer so I could also power the flash extenders that are at the location and occasionally other Cams I place at the Cam Trap for testing.

One note here, the 12v to 6v voltage reducer will shut down when the battery gets around or below 9v, that's the way they are designed. The cam will then shift to internal power so you may not even notice when the external battery gets low or the 12v to 6v voltage reducer shuts down till you see the internal batteries starting to drop.

Also the larger amperage 12v to 6v voltage reducer you use the more residual power it uses for operation. Meaning it will also use battery power, seems 1 to 2 amp 12v to 6v voltage reducers will operate the Cam with no problem, and won't burn out.
By C.A.M.O.
I run my Code Black on a 12 Volt SLA battery; I use a cable that reduces from 12 to 6 volt that I bought from Cam-O. Been out about 6 months now and no problems with the cable. I typically get about 6 weeks of use before I have to recharge the battery.

Thanks pedro3252,

Hey Guys,

This is what I do and use, also I recommend this, because it works fine for me.
I use a 12v SLA 9mah battery made by Power Sonic, with a Covert 12v / 6v Power Cable, with no solar panel.

I've been using this set up right along for a couple of years now, with zero problems. I also do use the Covert Booster Antenna in some locations.
Using three Code Blacks 3G cameras, also works very well with the 2g models too.

On the Power Cables that some say are burned up, first check to see if one or more of the wires going into the little black box are broke off inside.
Take the cover off, ( just a snap fit) and take a look, if so just solder them making darn sure you do that on the right solder leg.

If not, call Covert and see if they will warranty this or send you a new one, for whatever.

Hope this mite help some of you fellas out.
Rick! :D
By kenfa04

Thanks pedro3252,

Hey Guys,

This is what I do and use, also I recommend this, because it works fine for me.
I use a 12v SLA 9mah battery made by Power Sonic, with a Covert 12v / 6v Power Cable, with no solar panel.

I've been using this set up right along for a couple of years now, with zero problems. I also do use the Covert Booster Antenna in some locations.
Using three Code Blacks 3G cameras, also works very well with the 2g models too.

On the Power Cables that some say are burned up, first check to see if one or more of the wires going into the little black box are broke off inside.
Take the cover off, ( just a snap fit) and take a look, if so just solder them making darn sure you do that on the right solder leg.

If not, call Covert and see if they will warranty this or send you a new one, for whatever.

Hope this mite help some of you fellas out.
Rick! :D

Planning to put one out next week with a 12v feeder batt and solar panel. Will I be wasting my time?
By Gforce
Burnt up board on mine, I took it apart just to see. I got mine from Custom1 also.

One must remember these things are "Chinaman Parts" so your mileage may very !

Also when used on Code Blacks the Cam is going to suck more juice and may be a reason for failure on some.
By Gforce
Was really hoping to get several months from this setup. Guess I will try the covert 12v to 6v adapter and hope for the best.

If you end up having a problem you can always cut the bad voltage reducer out and replace it. Really the right plug is the hard part to replace because the barrel needs to be long enough to reach through the case and still connect and these do.

let me know how it goes. you can call me if you n[…]

Did this guy get shot?

I'm sure the man had something to do with it!

Late season bait station

It’s a good thing that moose doesn’t h[…]

Great video!!! :D