Use this forum to post questions and issues for discussion related to Browning cameras.
By slay
#257979 Recon Force IR camera (this is NOT a black flash camera)

Sensor range - great. reliable to about 50+ feet
Flash range - Advertised at 65 Feet and it appears to achieve that
Flash duration - very short. Approx 1 second long on a 6 shot rapid fire. Standard mode will have a second long flash on each picture in a burst sequence
Flash visibility - Yet to be confirmed
Trigger - exceptional, This camera will strip off up to 6 pictures in 2 seconds when set on rapid fire *added* This camera will occasionally not trigger on very slow moving (grazing) deer until they are within about 15 yards of the camera.
Image quality - Excellent clarity and true to life color. Very sharp daytime images from this camera
Video- I'm not a fan. All videos are zoomed resulting in approx 10% loss in the Field of View (FOV) with bad pixelation (a firmware fix has been released which corrected this problem)

The Trigger speed is trend setting. This camera takes pictures faster than any other camera I have ever used (Reconyx included). I have found that it rarely has false triggers. On the ones I thought I had gotten, I determined that it occurred because of the PIR sensor's zone being a tad wider than the lens viewing area. I do not think it is by much at all, but if it is a concern to others, you may put some electrical tape on the sides of the sensor to adjust for it.

The daytime images are spectacular. It captures fast movement with little blurring at all. The night images are pretty good and the flash is bright. The videos from this camera is it's only downfall. It is simply too zoomed to be enjoyed. I do not see this as an answer to anyone seeking a quality video.

The camera makes a click every time the array fires on and off due to the filter arm moving over the lens. Browning says that this will stop after a few minutes when the LCD readout powers down (a few minutes). Then it should only make a clicking noise twice each day. (a firmware fix has been released which corrected this problem)

Lastly, I believe this camera takes pictures that are slightly zoomed. This is just a gut feeling I have. But I think you will need to mount the camera a little lower to capture smaller critters closer to the camera or you may only see the top of their back in the images.

I am thoroughly impressed with this camera. Browning has certainly hit the ground running for a newly emerging trail camera manufacturer. It has shutter speeds that auto adjusts up to 1/30 second to prevent extreme whiteout of closer subjects at night.

Daytime Image:

Movement capture:

Night pics:
Last edited by slay on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
By slay
#257980 *I just wanted to have all the pertinent information in one place. It will save someone from having to read a billion of my posts on this camera.* :P
By stick33
#257982 Good review Slay! I've said it before, but I wish more guys would post up summaries like yours when done testing cams. Really helps out w/ buying decisions and eliminates buyer's remorse. :D

I don't know if a .85 sec trigger on pics is "trend setting" as other manufacturers already top that, but the 1.2 sec video trigger is impressive for sure.

I'm not interested in red blob cams, but if I was - I would definitley consider this one! :)
By slay
stick33 wrote:Good review Slay! I've said it before, but I wish more guys would post up summaries like yours when done testing cams. Really helps out w/ buying decisions and eliminates buyer's remorse. :D

I don't know if a .85 sec trigger on pics is "trend setting" as other manufacturers already top that, but the 1.2 sec video trigger is impressive for sure.

I'm not interested in red blob cams, but if I was - I would definitley consider this one! :)

Well, just how many were doing that 3 months ago? LOL I didn't say they were the only ones setting the trend, though it may have been "slightly implied".... :P

I thought about not using the red blob terminology, but I felt it would stop someone from asking "Is that a black flash camera?" I have not really looked at that flash at night, so I cant say exactly how bright the flash is to my eyes. When I do get around to it I will certainly clarify that description.

Oh, I felt a little odd titling it slay's summary, but I felt it allowed newer members to know this is one persons opinion and not necessarily a group consensus.
By wacokid
#257984 That is a great, detailed review, thanks for posting, and i like the idea of doing a summary, i will do that in the future.

I think what makes it trend setting is the 6 shots ripped off in 2 seconds and its super fast recovery for a $150 camera.
Last edited by wacokid on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By wv-outdoor
#257986 Thanks Slay!! The red blob is the reason I will hold off on this one, but it has definitely performed for you during your tests. It looks to be an exceptional trail camera and offers a lot for the price point too.
By badski78
#257993 A great review and that cam takes some real fine pictures
Thanks for the post and review
By Passingthrough
#257996 Awesome Slay! Thanks for the work you did. Browning makes a BF camera, but I haven't heard anyone talk about it. I wonder if it performs as well as the Recon Force?
By Passingthrough
#257998 In comparing the Recon Force (red ir) to the Special Ops (BF), the description of the Special Ops doesn't state it has zero blur technology. It's flash range is stated to be 50 ft instead of the 65 ft of the Recon Force.
By Remi
#258003 very good review - summary really helps. looks like browning hit the ground running with a good camera; picture quality looks excellent. would like to see a shootout vs the red 40 (still pictures); maybe???
By Sopchoppy
#258031 I've found every point you make is spot on. Now there are 2 guys with the same opinion. If the video is zoomed, I can't tell it, but I have not compared a video and a picture shot from the same location. For the "red blob" crowd, one of funky sounding night videos is a buck who walks up to the camera to take a sniff and does not seem spooky. Also have a doe who just turns and looks at the cam while walking by.
By Oldoak
#258053 Nice review,Slay, I was looking at this camera, I'm a new guy here, don't even own a camera yet.
I kinda wanted a black, was looking at the 990 that you and some others have, but it seems they have problems too. Not a bad price though.
By slay
Sopchoppy wrote:I've found every point you make is spot on. Now there are 2 guys with the same opinion. If the video is zoomed, I can't tell it, but I have not compared a video and a picture shot from the same location. For the "red blob" crowd, one of funky sounding night videos is a buck who walks up to the camera to take a sniff and does not seem spooky. Also have a doe who just turns and looks at the cam while walking by.

Here is exactly what is lost (taken from a still frame from a video)

Here is an estimate by me of how much the actual FOV decreases from pic to movie mode: