Use this forum to post questions and issues for discussion related to Browning cameras.
By Mjn1979
#282667 Figured I would give my personal thoughts on the browning special ops.
The good of the cam is the fast shot pic mode,very fast trigger speed(Got me in 5 of 6 pics at 25 feet in full run using 6 shot fast),retriggereing in under 3 seconds,doesn't false trigger,very good night pics,great transition pics and video,average battery life.
The bad of this cam imo is mainly lack of clarity in all of the day color pics,video is somewhat weak during day color videos,awful night videos,audio with video is bad,sensing is somewhat weak(I snuck right past the camera moving slowly at 35 feet),doesn't pick up smaller game very often(This could be a good thing for some that don't want thousands of pics of the small stuff),zoomed pics.
I am currently awaiting a response from browning in regards to the clarity of the day pics I have been experiencing,and can only hope that the issue is resolved(I do like this camera). For a camera with a $200 msrp,I believe they overlooked the daytime pics,especially when comparing it to there night and transition pics,which are good.
By Passingthrough
#282674 I basically found the same results. If the cam sold for $120, I wouldn't complain a bit :)
I have hard time seeing Browning being able to firmware fix the daytime picture quality w/o building a whole new monkey cage. The strengths of the cam make it worthy of the woods, but in that price range and class, there are better all around cams IMO. It is a fun little cam, though!
By robnj
#282678 I hated the ones i had . blurry grainy pics. missed pics at close distances. used replacement cams. no thanks
By Mjn1979
#282877 Here is a few of the day paintings from the special ops. They do not look like a trail cam picture should,they look like paintings.
The transition pics are very good to me.
By slay
#282879 I think it is a case of power being robbed from somewhere important to fire off the black flash LED's. There just isn't enough juice to make a better pic. Kinda like the painted ones on the recon force when the batteries get low. It is too bad they cant unleash the extra amperage necessary when the LED's are not in use.
By Passingthrough
#282901 I have a 12V rechargeable battery and solar panel sitting in my garage doing nothing. I should connect it to my Special Ops and see if that makes a difference. I did lower to 2MP and taped the sides of mine, but last week I only had 1 doe come by, so no good pics from this week :x
By Mjn1979
#282933 I really hope this is just an issue with my special ops,but comparing to what others are getting,highly doubtful. This camera could be the cream of the crop if the day images were even as good as primos day pics,which at one point I thought were the worst.
By Mjn1979
#283313 Still waiting on a response from browning.It has been 3 days and no phone call or email. After scanning at my best day pics from the spec ops,and just a few random pics from the cg review(save for the stuck filter pics) I am certain my spec ops has issues and needs to be replaced. If I could get day pics like what is in the cg review,I would have a couple more of these. :)
By Mjn1979
#283589 Emailed John a couple pics today after speaking with him.He seemed eager to help me on the issue of the bad day pics.Hope they can get me fixed up with a good one.
By Mjn1979
#283706 John relied to my email today saying that the backround of the pics seemed a little out of focus,and asked me to send him some of the worst images. So tomorrow,I am gona pull the cam from the woods and hopefully have some more day images to send.
By tbone303
#283709 I wonder if lithiums would be the answer to not getting enough amps, maybe the extra juice might help :?: Mine are the same way, but I am using rechargeables, maybe they aren't recommended in the brownings.
By Mjn1979
#283716 Your rechargeables should be pushing plenty of amps,close to 4 amps (2 banks of 6 volts,2000 ma),and should be sufficient to operate properly.The daytime draw on the spec ops is 1345 ma total,so most any alkaline or rechargeable battery should suffice. :geek:
By Mjn1979
#283810 Checked camera today and finally had some worthy day shots.Did have a few paintings also,but the majority of day pics were on par with my moultrie recon force :mrgreen: . Brought camera home and did some more walk tests in the yard,and maximum distance I can get it to trigger is 40 feet,which is fine by me cause that is about the distance the flash is good to at night. Also did some videos and the firmware did improve overall quality by eliminating the zoom effect on video.There is too much backround noise on the audio,but I am probably only gona use it for pics anyhow. Will post some pics in the picture subforum to show how well the pics have improved from what I have been getting.