Use this forum to post questions and issues for discussion related to Moultrie cameras. Note: Please post threads pertaining to cellular cams in the "Cellular Trail Camera Discussion" forum.
User avatar
By Passingthrough
#269005 Anyone have these cams? If so, what is your impressions and can you post pics. I'm looking to buy 2-3 less expensive yet very reliable cams to set on public land and these could fit the bill.
Thanks!
User avatar
By cosmos24
#269022 I have both cams but haven't really done much testing as of yet. I like the D 333's burst mode as you can set it to take up to 10 pics each trigger,all of them spaced roughly a second apart,so you are getting pics for a full ten seconds. The cam has all kinds of features for a cheap cam including "motion freeze" ,but the one that stands out is the battery life,it is unreal and advertises 30k pics per set of batteries. I really like the pics so far from mine but just haven't used it enough to really make a judgement it seems to be a lota of cam for the money. I will tell you the flash is noticeable at night a little more than I like but you could tone it down with the adhesive tape. The pics are above average in the day and decent at night. I will try to see if I can find some to post up.

The 555 would be the perfect blackflash cam if it didn't have the 90+ FOV lens that causes the pics to look a little bent around the sides,especially if the target is real close to the camera. If you have the cam looking over a more open area the effect is not as bad,but it's still a little noticeable. The one advantage is you can see almost twice the FOV than you would from a normal trailcam. I guess to summarize this cam it does everything very well except the pic quality is not anywhere near what you would get from most of the other newer Moultries. I have some pics up from this camera back on the pics board but it's been a while.
By McGurk
#269125 I, too, am looking at those same 2 cameras. I like that I can get 2) 333's for around $200, and I think that may be how I make my decision. I am just starting to cover about 80 acres, and only have 1) cam at the moment. Having Motion Freeze at that price point is pretty killer, but I wish it could take shots closer to 30 seconds apart (not-multi shot, but separate triggers). The 444 might be a happy medium. Lots of camera for the price, and I personally think that (as far as deer are concerned) black flash is more of a marketing ploy than an actual benefit. I do see a need for it for security purposes, though.
User avatar
By cosmos24
#269127
McGurk wrote:I, too, am looking at those same 2 cameras. I like that I can get 2) 333's for around $200, and I think that may be how I make my decision. I am just starting to cover about 80 acres, and only have 1) cam at the moment. Having Motion Freeze at that price point is pretty killer, but I wish it could take shots closer to 30 seconds apart (not-multi shot, but separate triggers). The 444 might be a happy medium. Lots of camera for the price, and I personally think that (as far as deer are concerned) black flash is more of a marketing ploy than an actual benefit. I do see a need for it for security purposes, though.


You can do what you are speaking of with the 333. The burst can be set anywhere from 1 to 10 pics,then set the delay for 10 seconds,therefore you get your 1-10 burst whichever the number you choose,per trigger.
By McGurk
#269159 Thanks for that, after reading your post I went and re-read the specs, and you are right. Makes it even more attractive to me. Now, if they would just run a sale price on them so I could budget for a third...
User avatar
By T-post
#269164 I have the 555 and don't like the "fish eye" wide angle lens.
Sample pics at this link:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33405&hilit=+d555i

I have the 444 and think that it is absolutely awesome. :P
Sample pics at this link:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34048&hilit=+444

I don't have any experience with the 333.

FYI:
I do sell a "mini mount" that fits the D555 and D333, but does not fit the D444 (my universal mount fits the D444):
http://www.murphymetalart.com/MoultrieD ... Mount.html
User avatar
By Passingthrough
#269170 Thanks for the posts guys!!!!!!!
It seems like the 333 has a lot of features for the bucks. My only concern is the night pics (brightness and clarity) and how visible the flash is at night. But, I'm looking at picking up 3 of them.
User avatar
By slay
#269173 Sounds like your deer aren't alarmed by IR cams and hat is a great thing. My deer are super nervous and there is a definite difference when using the black flash cameras. Most of my deer tend to shy away further away from an IR camera after thier first exposure to it. They are often way in the back or off to the side when approaching the camera afterwards. I doint view it as market hype at all, but if my deer would stop avoiding the IR cameras I would do away with Black flash myself.

I envy you....
User avatar
By sdatver
#269187
slay wrote:Sounds like your deer aren't alarmed by IR cams and hat is a great thing. My deer are super nervous and there is a definite difference when using the black flash cameras. Most of my deer tend to shy away further away from an IR camera after thier first exposure to it. They are often way in the back or off to the side when approaching the camera afterwards. I doint view it as market hype at all, but if my deer would stop avoiding the IR cameras I would do away with Black flash myself.

I envy you....


X2!
User avatar
By Passingthrough
#269190 I know I have to strategically place my red ir cams to avoid deer picking them off. I would place these cams 8-10 feet off the ground and close to 90 degree angle to the trail.
User avatar
By robnj
#269204 blackbearsportinggoods.com has the 555irxt for 84 bucks .
User avatar
By cosmos24
#269209 Black flash isn't market hype at all,matter of fact most serious hunters have actually moved over to black flash the more they become available and affordable. I hate the thought of buying anymore red ir cams in the future,as most of my purchases will be black flash from now on.
User avatar
By Passingthrough
#269248
cosmos24 wrote:Black flash isn't market hype at all,matter of fact most serious hunters have actually moved over to black flash the more they become available and affordable. I hate the thought of buying anymore red ir cams in the future,as most of my purchases will be black flash from now on.


I agree. You talked me out of the Moultrie 333. Yet many are raving about the Recon Force, yet its red ir.
By McGurk
#269289 Hey guys, I may be wrong about black flash as I am pretty new to the trail cam game. That also means my herd is pretty new to cams, too. Maybe I have been lucky so far and they'll spook soon, too. What did your deer do before black flash, or even before infrared, for that matter?

I may just buy one of each and see what happens. Hard to believe the 555 has no-glow infrared (black flash), motion freeze, barometer, photo camoflage, and a built in monitor for about $20 more than the 444. The 555 gets slammed on the flash range by some reviews, but what I've seen from Tpost and Cosmos24, they see cover fine for the larger field of view. That's what you get from a "fisheye" lens: more field of view from the same camera. The flat-faced flash is the same here as it is in a typical lens setup. That means the photos will also look different at night comparitively; more to see, more to illuminate.

A perfect camera in this $150 price point would be, as stated earlier, this camera without the fisheye lens.
By Sodbuster
#269292
McGurk wrote:Hey guys, I may be wrong about black flash as I am pretty new to the trail cam game. That also means my herd is pretty new to cams, too. Maybe I have been lucky so far and they'll spook soon, too. What did your deer do before black flash, or even before infrared, for that matter?
.

I have no problem with deer spooking. I would prefer to have all white flash cams, but most companies stopped making them and the Moultrie ir cams really light up a food plot.