I think you know what you are doing here... :)
By johnnydeerhunter
On the piece of property that Luke and I gained permission to hunt last year they plowed up the hay field and planted corn. Well there's a nice unplanted soil bed around the field 8 to 15 feet wide that I think would be ideal for a food plot in some places (mainly in front of the ground blind and tree stand) I plan on planting some pumpkins but any suggestions on what else I can plant to have the deer coming in this fall and continuing into January?
By speed2spare
I would give radishes some consideration. Planted some time around early August.
By bowhtr1
If you are looking for an annual then I would suggest evolved harvest megaplot. This work great for me. JMO Walmart will sell this for around 20 bucks and it covers 1/2 acre. Plant first week of September.
By yoderj@cox.net
Johnny,

That is a fairly narrow strip. Depending on the orientation it may not get much light. I'd take that into consideration if that is the case. You also don't talk about when the plan to harvest the corn. That could make a difference as well. If it is an early harvest, it may make sense to surface broadcast into the corn as well. It is likely RR and you'll get good seed/soil contact. You didn't mention the total acreage. If the acreage is small a BOB mix may make sense from a cost perspective. If you plan to plant enough to mix your own then here is what I'd consider.

I would probably look at a cover crop type mix. Crimson Clover is an annual clover. It reseeds in my area, but I'm not sure where you are. I'd add a cereal grain to that. With my less than ideal soils, I prefer winter rye. These will do fine even without a lot of sun. I'd add a very light load of brassica to that. Maybe 1 lb/ac of groundhog radish and 1 lb/ac of Purple Top Turnip.

Deer sometimes take a while to get used to eating PTT and even then they find it most attractive after it sweeten following a hard frost. GHR does not take spin-up time even when it is newly introduced to the local herd. They will use the forage consistently from the time it appears until it is gone. They then use the tubers until they get hit by a couple frosts and get soft. The will use the PTT tubers last of all. The WR and CC will also come up early the follow spring to provide some early food (provided CC reseeds in your area).

I'm in zone 7a. Like all food plots, regional differences apply, so you may want to rely on specifics from guys in your area.

Thanks,

Jack
By johnnydeerhunter
Thanks, for the info guys. There will be a good amount of shade once the corn takes off. With the strip being 8 to 15 feet wide I was planing on a 50-60 yard long stretch on the top and the bottom of the field where we have some stands. The corn will be chopped in late September or early October and this field will likely be corn again next year and then lush young alfalfa the following year. I'm in the northwestern part of NJ in the top corner by NY state and PA. Our hunting seasons run through the end of January. I also plan on planting some pumpkins there, we had good luck with them last year bringing in a truckload after Halloween. I've thought about a three sisters type of plant like Peter Nap used to talk about. Any idea how bear are with the radish and turnips?
By yoderj@cox.net
Johnny,

I'd plant your 50 yard strip with the mix in august. Keep the brassica light since it wants sun. CC and WR can handle the shade. As soon as they harvest the corn in September, I would surface broadcast WR a larger area surrounding your stand directly into any stubble. The farmer won't mind this. Many farmers will surface broadcast their own cover crop and if your farmer does this, you wont' have to. If not and you do it, that will give you a larger area for attraction. It is a bit late, but winter rye will still probably germinate in your area at that time. Deer like it best when it is young and tender.

Good luck this season,

Jack
By speed2spare
JDH,

Not sure about the pumpkin growing idea. About 10 years or so ago a cousin and I decided we were going to try to grow some of them huge pumpkins. We till up this 60 foot x 90 foot spot in a small unused pasture behind his house. We had huge pumpkin vines growing. If I recall correctly they had leaves about the size of a dinner plate. Were blooming and had some pumpkins starting. Then one night out of the blue the deer found the patch. By the third night there wasn't a single leaf left in the whole patch. Killed the vines, and the great pumpkin growers went down in defeat to the deer in yet another manner.
By johnnydeerhunter
I've got the seeds that I saved from last years pumpkin haul so I figured it can't hurt to try. Worse case I can truck them in like I did last year from my cousin. I'll probably try some radish as well and some CC like Jack suggested. I like the idea of winter rye after the corn is harvested. Sometimes he'll spread from the slurry tank after the corn is harvested in the fall and prep the soil for the following spring, might be a good bed for the rye.
By speed2spare
That slurry soup is some powerful stuff. Not the ideal wind in ya face kinda location. :shocked:
By johnnydeerhunter
That slurry soup is some powerful stuff. Not the ideal wind in ya face kinda location. :shocked:

That's so true

ImageImageImage
Spypoint LINK-micro

Yes inam wery disapointed. In log data say error […]

https://vimeo.com/374708646

they have completed a prelim review but a full rev[…]

I've been running my cameras on medium or low, whe[…]