This is the place to share all the cool pictures & movies you get from your trail cameras. In other words, if it's not a picture or movie related to a camera problem, it goes here. If it is a picture or movie related to a camera problem, please post it in the appropriate manufacturer forum.
By Saskboy
I wonder how many mice a day these guys go through to keep warm.
2019-11-11-2.jpg
2019-11-11-2.jpg (127.14 KiB) Viewed 5635 times
By Saskboy
No...... I've been conserving battery in the mainly cloudy winter so far. 20 watt panel isnt quite good enough when the sun only hits it for a few hours a day. I've regretted setting it on picture mode a few times now.
By reaperman
How much snow do you have on the ground?
By Saskboy
We have about a foot in the bush, in the fields less but enough you cant move without 4x4.
By Anthony
Saskboy wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:24 pm No...... I've been conserving battery in the mainly cloudy winter so far. 20 watt panel isnt quite good enough when the sun only hits it for a few hours a day. I've regretted setting it on picture mode a few times now.
Here is what I have been thinking. You need a generator. run the generator and run a long power cable out to your camera. Mount a pole near your solar panel and run some really bright halogen lights facing into the solar panel. Of course you need a day night sensor so the lights are off during day light hours. In fact having the generator auto-start only during the night would be great.

The solution here is put more light into your solar panel during night hours.

I am a bit worried that the generator noise will upset the game. In this case a wooden sound insulated structure around the generator with the exhaust run out of the box so the intake can get some oxygen. This will dampen the loud engine noise.

I am not sure how often you visit the area and thus how much fuel will be required. You may need to install an aux fuel tank with several hundred gallons.

The power cable from the generator should likely be run underground to keep critters from tripping or chewing it.

Any thoughts on this solution?

I recommend the generator below as a starting point. You need the system to have a bit of excess power in case you need to run more than one camera. Those halogen lights (think large sports stadium) use a lot of wattage.
Attachments
61iLoLRpDxL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
This one is only $5,000 USD.
61iLoLRpDxL._AC_SL1200_.jpg (54.73 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
By Anthony
Example of the type of lamp I am referring to. These are 1000 watts. To produce the energy you need to simulate the power of the sun as closely as possible.

An array of these above your solar panel should do the trick. I really do not think this is over kill.

The total cost for this night time power upgrade should be under $10k. I you ran 20 cameras the incremental cost per camera would only be $500. thats cheap !! and the fuel cost to keep the generator running should be relatively insignificant I would think.
Attachments
1000WOutdoorfootballHighPowerLEDFloodLight.jpg
1000WOutdoorfootballHighPowerLEDFloodLight.jpg (99.74 KiB) Viewed 5564 times
By FredG
The redneck solution is a few asbestos coated 4X4's to keep the sun propped up so it can't set.
By Saskboy
Ha ha! I was hoping Anthony would make up a small nuclear reactor instead to power my artificial sun.

I'll just hang a bag of antifreeze to drip down on my panel, added bonus is it will attract the wildlife with its sweet tasting goodness. Should take care of my squirrel problem after a few licks.
By Anthony
I have my engineers working on it now. I am thinking the Ridgetec Portable Nuclear Generator will be fairly small, like the size of a washing machine. It will have a strap slot but you will need a really hefty strap for this unit and a large tree. I have some camo ideas if you want I can pm you those.

The cost will only be around $5,000,000/unit. I can provide a discount if you purchase 10 or more. Shipping to Canada will likely be the cost prohibitive factor.

I should be able to sell this as a crossover product in other consumer markets as well.
By reaperman
:D :D :D I needed that.
By dbaxter
I was going to suggest he just get a Yodercam. What happened to the Yodercam? I see the link in the review has been removed.

http://www.chasingame.com/forum/viewtop ... t=Yodercam

I am not familiar with that brand. However, check […]

Grey fox gives up too easy

:mrgreen: https://vimeo.com/337748402

Nice shots. Love the background on the deer.

Thanks everyone!!