Use this forum to post questions and issues for discussion related to home brewed camera designs

Moderator: johnnydeerhunter

By rsmith
#18218 Apparently there is no pdf out there for accessing the internal battery contacts in an S40 so I'd thought I'd share what I did.

First use a flat screw driver to pop the gray tab and pull out the ribbon shown below to dettach the front cover. Pry up the middle of the tab, not the edge or it will break off like mine did.
There's actually two ribbons on top of each other. Pull out the second one shown below, or remove the cover and then pull it out.
Flip the camera over, lift out the lens assembly, and lay it on the front of the camera. There are only a couple of plastic tabs holding the whole thing in place. Leave the large ribbon cables attached, allowing them to fold over with the lens. Later I used a piece of masking tape to hold the lens away from the work area.
I dremmeled a hole through the ac adaptor and routed the wires as shown below. Be carefull not to slice the covering on the wire while sliding it through the first ribbon cable. A pair of tweezers comes in handy to pull the wire out from beneath the board on the other side.
Solder the wires to the exposed battery contacts. Red is positive and black is negative in the picture below. Don't be careless with your iron and melt plastic around the peripheral like I did. :oops:
Pull excess wire back towards the ac adapter and out of the camera. Put the lens and ribbon cables back in place. Stuff the connector and wire in the battery compartment when reassembling the camera to avoid pinching the wires.
I had previously modified this camera using the USB connection and added the fourth wire for yeti quick start. Here is the completed assembly.
Can't decide if I want to attempt this on my other S40 or not. It didn't exactly go smoothly. First I routed the wires on the wrong side of the coin battery and had to pull them back out. Then I reinstalled one of the ribbon cables before realizing it was upside down. :oops: Makes the extra $50 for a P41 almost worth it!
By OutdoorBob
#18220 Good work Ryan.
By bknolly
#18222 My wooden dowels with screws work just fine. Wired up to 8 AA's.

- Brian
By bubba
#18223 bk

you have any pics of this?
By rsmith
#18227 I went ahead and added the same setup to my other S40. It was a lot easier after having done the first one.
By bknolly
#18230 bubba:

I attempted to get my camera from the woods today but we have atleast 15" of snow out there. I got half way with the ATV but I quit because the snow was too deep. Once I am able to bring in the camera, I will take pics of the wooden dowels and battery setup.

- Brian
By bknolly
#18352 bubba: here are a few pics of the wooden batteries.

- Brian
By rsmith
#18355 Bknolly, did you get any pics? I have a question, what are the yellow wires for?
By bowgod02
#18362 Hey Ryan,

With this setup, you can still use the two internal batteries right? They still fit down in there with the wires coming out the battery compartment? Also, I just completed my S40 4 wire and don't have the two wires soldered to where yours are in the first pic. Is that a different soldering point that can be used for pwer and shutter? Thanks
By rsmith
#18368 Ron,

Yes you can still use the internal batteries. The two wires that you see in the first pic are power and shutter coming from the other side of the camera, connected to the USB port. A third wire can also be connected there for fast start and common is built into the plug. Using the USB has one drawback - a fair amount of room is required for the plug to extend out of the camera. There is a pdf on Deprey's that shows what components to remove/traces to cut.

Ryan
By jerm2118
#18370 bk how did you hook up your battery dowels. how long did you make the dowels and where did you hook the negative and postive wires up to?
By bknolly
#18372 rsmith: Nope no pics :cry: ! I think the coyote kicked the deer out of the valley along with the 15+" of snow. The yellow wires are an insulating coating on my two 30 awg copper wires for the shutter and refresh. I know it looks like a mess but it's my first build, but it works great.

jerm2118: Battery dowels, run a 28 awg wire to each screw and solder it to the screw. Next I used a USB male/female connection for the battery pack disconnect. Parts I had laying around from a junk computer. I cut the wooden dowels to the same size as a AA battery, then I drilled a hole for the screw. Then I sanded the end of the wood dowel to get it to fit just right with the screw. For wiring up the 2 AA battery holders, since each battery holder is wired in a series circuit, I wired all of the holders in a parallel circuit by soldering all the red wires together and all the black wires together.

I hope this pic helps, I found it on Hag's House for the post on externals.

- Brian