Trail Camera Discussion of Manufactured Cameras.
I am having trouble with cell signal in my area at the moment it's hit and miss for the LookOut. My question is, if there are pictures taken when the camera doesn't' have signal will they upload when signal reception is strong enough. if not can you retrieve these thumbnails at a later time somehow? Which one of the accessory antennas works best. I may need to purchase one so maybe I can get it higher up a tree for better reception. And also I thought I read somewhere that maybe in the near future there will be a solar powered external battery setup available?
if the camera is taking photos and there is no signal. The next time it gets a signal and uploads photos the server will detect missing photos and request all of them.
Hello Anthony, I have a question on multiple lookout cameras. Do you have to have a separate plan for each camera or can you combine them on one plan and just get a larger plan? I am really enjoying this camera.
Right now its a separate plan per camera. At some point I will get multiple cameras to one plan going....

Each camera will have a sim and an active plan, the part that is new would be a way to combine points. this is what you want right?

Suppose you buy 10K points. camera 1 uses 2500 and camera 2 uses 7500 this month. NExt month its the opposite... and son on.

does that sound right ?
Right now its a separate plan per camera. At some point I will get multiple cameras to one plan going....

Each camera will have a sim and an active plan, the part that is new would be a way to combine points. this is what you want right?

Suppose you buy 10K points. camera 1 uses 2500 and camera 2 uses 7500 this month. NExt month its the opposite... and son on.

does that sound right ?

Yes that is what I was talking about. I have had two people interested and willing to pay the price for the camera but after each looked at the plans they backed out. Another was interested if like I ask you could add more than one camera to the plan. But To me it's worth it. I have really enjoyed my camera so far but the deer activity around here is slim to none now from all the hunting pressure and acorn mass that is falling.
A couple of minor adjustments non visual, including establishing a "Serial" number in preparation to interface with an online RMA system we are building now(in case anyone happens to ever return one) :mrgreen:

On Overview , More ... you will see Serial Number there. In the future if you needed to open a support ticket or create an RMA I will have buttons on the portal where you open a ticket...

does that sound right ?

I completely agree that this is the way to go, I would be interesting in adding another lookout as I have absolutely loved running it in video... but adding another monthly plan that can keep up with requesting a couple videos a day at ~120 points each could get ratehr pricing quickly. If there was a benefit to bundling that would be great, or even if the bonus points could be pooled across all cameras. So you just buy a base plan and then tack on bonus data that covers all your plans.
I could make the Points Reserve be account wide rather than at the plan level as well. It all takes time and we will get there.

I have basically slept with this camera for nearly a year now. I constantly monitor all the running cameras online and analyze performance. Because I am a developer and know cameras I can set a level of quality that I expect and push to get it to that point.

Other companies outsource the development and the programmer sit around drinking cokes and eating fritos and have never ran cameras in the woods and are clueless as to what customers want or need, then the guys that hire them do not know anything about programming so it creates a disconnect between customers needs and software/hardware changes

I feel this is my advantage so far. I can listen to the customers and put myself in their shoes as I run cameras myself and I like to hunt and scout too. If I didn't enjoy it I would not have started testing cameras in 2005.

I appreciate all your feedback and it is not going on deaf ears but I also have a company to build and I know it starts with a good solid product but I also need to balance costs with sales. I do promise to continue to improve the system and over the years improve and release new and better technology.

Our product is not a "knockoff" as some say that you can find several iterations of on ebay and amazon under different names. The factory does not make Spartan or Covert or any other brand. this is a real and unique product designed for us. the factory only supplies to us. that means their future is tied to our future.

What I need right now is to spread the word about the Lookout and Ridgetec. I will continue to listen and compile your feedback here as well.

Thanks for all your input and help so far.
I am having trouble with cell signal in my area at the moment it's hit and miss for the LookOut. My question is, if there are pictures taken when the camera doesn't' have signal will they upload when signal reception is strong enough. if not can you retrieve these thumbnails at a later time somehow? Which one of the accessory antennas works best. I may need to purchase one so maybe I can get it higher up a tree for better reception. And also I thought I read somewhere that maybe in the near future there will be a solar powered external battery setup available?

I want to respond again to this question to make sure people know how cool the feature I put in for this is. when the camera is sending photos to the server each one is numbered incrementally. so suppose the last photo was PICT0100.JPG.

Then the camera sends in PICT0104.JPG, immediately I know that 101, 102 and 103 were not sent in. I then queued action requests for this camera to resend those photos. that request remains in place until it is completed or cancelled by the owner.

the camera will retry 3 times per each photo per each event. this means if at all possible, all missing photos will make it to the server.

we can't manufacture bandwidth where there is none but its the best we can do. As far as I can tell this will make the Lookout as reliable as I can make it.

Now when you power off the camer and back on again I "restart" my accounting on missed photos. You may have swapped the SD card. thnk about it.

So, suppose the last photo send was 205. then you swap SD cards and forgot to remove old photos from it and the last photo there is 500. I am not going to request 206 through 500 !!!! I have to start over with my missing photo accounting at this time. So it takes two photos sent to the server before it will begin processing missed photos otherwise we can run into nasty situations like I just described. :D

In the end I feel this makes the camera as reliable as it can be. also each upload can employ a multi-block upload scheme as well to improve throughput. After all, the reason you bought a cellular camera was to get photos delivered wireless. If it misses 25% you might as well buy a $99 camera and go swap SD cards! This was my argument when I designed the block transfer, the retry per vent logic and the missing photo reprocess logic. Camera engineers do not always see the big picture and I have to push to get the technology to perform the way I want it to perform like these features. I can only build my side of the puzzle. I also have to deal with factory and work with them to build the camera firmware side then test everything for weeks before we release it. they do not always see the methods in my madness. :mrgreen:

I know the portal has a lot of features and settings and it can make the system seem complicated to a new user. I worry about this but I do not know how to remove features I feel are very important just to dumb it down. I hope that if you talk to people and they comment about the complexity you can back it up by saying that with power and flexibility comes a certain level of complexity and that if they just play with it for an hour they will get a clearer understanding of it all.

New member from Scotland and thought I start with […]

1st Buck on camera for 2019

Its that time of the year....

:)

not sure if its true but if so its a good one.

I like his purple coat... very cool. Probably[…]