This is the place to share all the cool pictures & movies you get from your trail cameras. In other words, if it's not a picture or movie related to a camera problem, it goes here. If it is a picture or movie related to a camera problem, please post it in the appropriate manufacturer forum.
From a sportsman's view, I dont like to see a fawn fall prey to a coyote either. As much as I know it happens, it seems to hit home more seeing it in a photo or video. From a trail camera perspective, Anthony's video is a great catch!
Anthony wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:27 am This coyote also has no eye shine in his left eye. another old one-eye.
Is that a whole fawn or back half ?
I'd guess its whole and its bringing it back for the pups.
I'll say it again -- Just because the coyote was carrying a fawn doesn't mean it killed the fawn. Remember, everybody who eats carrots dies -- that doesn't mean carrots are poisonous. You might want to take a look at these posts on fawn mortality from Penn State's Deer-Forest Study -- https://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/pro ... 019/i-wish
https://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/pro ... e-cute-but
Also, something I noticed... if it was a fresh kill the back legs would be limber. Instead they are straight and stiff with rigor mortis indicating an earlier death perhaps.

Your thoughts ?

(been watching too many crime scene investigative reporting shows) :mrgreen:
I'd not noticed the rigidity of the legs earlier, but it looks like you're right about the rigor mortis . Depending on the temperature rigor mortis in an animal the size of a new fawn would probably set in from 1/2 hour to four hours after death and last for up to 48 hours. So, the fawn had probably been dead for a while before the coyote got hold of the remains.
I think the opposite. If you watch closely at the 2 second mark, the rear legs appear to extend fully. And the sideways angle of the fawn being carried prevents movement. If the legs were bent and didn’t move I would say it was already dead. Being a fresh kill the legs are limber and extended. Highly unlikely the fawn died with fully extended legs. Good debate
My above post was from my cell phone watching the video. Now from my PC on a much larger screen, I can plainly see before the video even starts, the fawns legs are bent and proceed to extend from there.
Here's a series of camera trap photos of a dead fawn that was found in our yard in full rigor mortis -- note in the first photo that two legs were fully extended. https://forestandfield.blogspot.com/201 ... -fawn.html

The old doe fed on the fawn's carcass as did the gray fox although neither of them killed the fawn.
reaperman wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:52 am From a trail camera perspective, Anthony's video is a great catch!
Agree! :D
cel phone game cameras

I have a covert black and I've noticed you can get[…]

This firmware is now available. You can update yo[…]

Fall is showing its age

It is showing its age. This time of year goes by q[…]

Spypoint made a camera with a swap-able flash unit[…]