Please post ideas for security features, mounting brackets and stands. Please include photos and designs for everyone to see.
By Metsa
I am looking for a secure, hidden camera stand that is independent of a tree. I recall seeing something like this that looked like it was tubular and metal, and hid a camera inside, but I can't find it again on Google. Does anyone know what I could be talking about?

Also, has anyone used this product: the trail lock? I can't find mention of it on the forum. I've ordered one and I'll put up a review when I get it. If I decide to use this I'll probably get a pvc pipe, cut a hole for the trail cam to take pictures out of, and 3d camo the outside.

Another question, is there anything I could cover the lens and IR emitters with that wouldn't block them, but would make it so that they wouldn't reflect when a flashlight shines on them? Maybe even something camo like these?
By RR_Security
I am looking for a secure, hidden camera stand that is independent of a tree. I recall seeing something like this that looked like it was tubular and metal, and hid a camera inside, but I can't find it again on Google. Does anyone know what I could be talking about?
The closest thing I can think of right now is the "Cable Box" enclosure from Reconyx, for their HyperFire cams.
Is this it?

Also, has anyone used this product: the trail lock? I can't find mention of it on the forum. I've ordered one and I'll put up a review when I get it. If I decide to use this I'll probably get a pvc pipe, cut a hole for the trail cam to take pictures out of, and 3d camo the outside.
Hmm; interesting. (And everyone here knows how I like to lag a security case to a tree with the heaviest screws possible, and use chains, cable locks, etc., etc., etc. :wink: )

Another question, is there anything I could cover the lens and IR emitters with that wouldn't block them, but would make it so that they wouldn't reflect when a flashlight shines on them? Maybe even something camo like these?
Those are kinda cool; another interesting concept.
I believe Anthony did some experiments not long ago with the adhesive camo sheets from Custom1 over a flash array, and I think the idea seemed promising.
By Metsa
That is exactly what I was looking for, but it looks like I might be better off making it myself from PVC.

I am interested in upgrading to buckeye or maybe reconyx cameras, so I'd like to up my security. But, I haven't really enjoyed dealing with tree straps and I'd prefer not to drill into trees. Freestanding just seems really convenient, I can set up better on a lot of trails and easily hide in bushes. Plus, I can set up whatever crazy 3D camo I want on the tubes at home. Maybe even real bark.

The flashlight glare seems like the major concern. That camo tape idea is interesting, but it did lose quite a bit of IR effectiveness, and a cursory check of one of my black flash bushnells suggests they don't actually shine all that bad. Probably not bad enough to be noticeable in a hole in a "stump".
By RR_Security
That is exactly what I was looking for, but it looks like I might be better off making it myself from PVC.

I am interested in upgrading to buckeye or maybe reconyx cameras, so I'd like to up my security. But, I haven't really enjoyed dealing with tree straps and I'd prefer not to drill into trees. Freestanding just seems really convenient, I can set up better on a lot of trails and easily hide in bushes.
Yep, get yourself a thorn-proof suit and hide the cam in the bushes "where a rabbit couldn't go." (Trivia alert: What song is that from? :lol: )
Straps and bungees can be tough to work with, but some are easier than others. (I really like the "cam" buckles on the straps from Custom1. Easy to tighten with one hand, while you hold the camera in place with the other hand.)
Getting the cam pointed in the right direction and firmly secured can be a real trick, especially when it's in a security case. A "bark biter" angle bracket will allow adjustment up or down, without having to screw anything into the tree. The bracket and the cam/case have to be firmly attached, and then one (or both) need to be cable-locked and/or chained to the tree.
It can get to be a lot of work, and more "accoutrements" can make everything harder to hide. :|

Plus, I can set up whatever crazy 3D camo I want on the tubes at home. Maybe even real bark.
Uh oh. I'm getting ideas for a new business venture. :wink:

The flashlight glare seems like the major concern. That camo tape idea is interesting, but it did lose quite a bit of IR effectiveness, and a cursory check of one of my black flash bushnells suggests they don't actually shine all that bad. Probably not bad enough to be noticeable in a hole in a "stump".
True, and the Reconyx HyperFire cams have that "random shape" over the flash array (I guess that would be called a bezel), with the camo colors blended into the plastic shapes.

If you did partially cover it with something to reduce reflections, and thereby reduced the output, you could always add a flash booster/extender. That might be one more thing intruders could notice, though. :|

Shape, Shine, Shadow, Silhouette, Spacing, Surface, Sudden movement, Sound, etc.
:? "Sound? From your camera?"
Image "No, the only sound is the yelping of the thieves when they try to get into the briar patch and steal the cam."
By RR_Security
Also, has anyone used this product: the [Schippers Co.] Trail Lock? I can't find mention of it on the forum. I've ordered one and I'll put up a review when I get it.
Did you get one yet? I ordered one a week ago (06/25), and as of today, the PayPal payment is still unclaimed. Earlier today, I sent an inquiry via the contact page on their Website, but haven't gotten a reply.

The stand and Tree Mount I ordered from Stic-N-Pic® showed up pretty quickly, but I haven't tried either one yet. The Tree Mount looked like it would be kinda handy for putting a cam up high on the corner of a building.
By RR_Security
Update on the Schippers Trail Lock: Today I made contact with Brad, the inventor/maker. Apparently they had a glitch with PayPal or something that caused them to not receive my order. Brad corrected that, and I should have it sometime this coming week. 8)

I'll start a new thread if I do a review of it.

Would like to say thank you to both Anthony and St[…]

Not at this time.

Kitty and the Snake

That’s a brave cat. And interesting behavior[…]

Now it's safe!

https://youtu.be/bfa2MiDhbk0