Please post ideas for security features, mounting brackets and stands. Please include photos and designs for everyone to see.
By NantucketShedHunter
I'm done applying natural pine bark to my M80's lock box. It was pretty time consuming as I had to apply each section of bark to the lock box and let it dry overnight. I used Gorilla Glue. I need to find a way to camo the IR array on the cam but I have something in mind involving window screen.

Here's what it looks like completed and ready for the camera-

By wv-outdoor
Nice looking camo. Good job!!!
By Ol Arky
Looks good and ya might try the "honeycomb" camo somebody posted on here...

Good to see I didn't have to bust ya out of lurkin' and welcome back.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
By sdatver
Looks Nice!
By hookedoncameras
Nan,
Are you using pealed bark or parts of the wood too?
By slay
Well, it looks like you take hiding your cameras to a new extreme since your one got stolen. It looks like a rotting stump to me. It should work well.
I would remove the antler tower from the top of it though. It may draw attention....
By NantucketShedHunter
I used pretty thick parts of the tree bark from an old growth pine. It sure does make the lock box bigger. I fear it will really stick out from the tree. I need to find some area where it won't be so noticeable. I think if I just mount it to any tree it will stick out and be easily seen. If you look at it straight on, you won't notice but from the side you will. I'll figure something out.
By SportsmanNH
I used pretty thick parts of the tree bark from an old growth pine. It sure does make the lock box bigger. I fear it will really stick out from the tree.

Great job NSH but you are right ! It looks like a bark covered suitcase :shock: :D :mrgreen:
By NantucketShedHunter
I think the only way this will work is if I can find three trees as close together as possible and one of those three is set back a foot or two from the other two. I could mount the box to the tree in the middle so it won't be so obvious as if I just put it on one tree. Does that make any sense?
By RR_Security
I think the only way this will work is if I can find three trees as close together as possible and one of those three is set back a foot or two from the other two. I could mount the box to the tree in the middle so it won't be so obvious as if I just put it on one tree. Does that make any sense?
Yeah, I think that would make it harder for anyone to approach the mounting tree from one side, and notice that there's "something sticking out" from that tree's trunk.

That's some nice work, anyway. (And a lotta work.)
One thing that might make it even better would be if you could round off the sides, top, and bottom. This is no jab at your work, it's just the nature of it: it's a box, and those are usually square, and squares are pretty rare in nature, hence the "bark-covered suitcase" effect.
It'd probably be a lot more work, but if Styrofoam or something could be carved to shape (model railroaders do that to make scenery contours; hills and such), then the bark could be attached to the foam before or after the foam was glued to the case. Woodland Scenics has some wire nails for holding sheets of foam together, or for holding things to the foam while the glue sets. <http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com>

Pine trees do get get galls (<http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2008/4-9/pinegallrust.html>), so maybe it could be made to look like a gall. Or if you could somehow get the front of the case the right color (look at some of the photos here <http://rockymountainbushcraft.blogspot.com/2012/12/wilderness-survival-easy-way-to-find.html>, it might be possible to disguise it as a place where a branch was sawn off.

Just pitching out some thoughts here. "Pitch," get it? Like in pine pitch?
Never mind. :P
By rgilley
Well, it looks like you take hiding your cameras to a new extreme since your one got stolen. It looks like a rotting stump to me. It should work well.
I would remove the antler tower from the top of it though. It may draw attention....

hah....when I first saw it I thought he had the antlers as part of it to.....it looks awesome...ought to blend in really good
I was finally able to deploy my bark-encrusted lock box today. I think it looks okay but REALLY sticks out from the tree. It was a good experiment none-the-less.

By Ol Arky
It doesn't stand out at a distance but the closer ya get the more noticeable it gets...

Thanks for the compliment. There is a bug inside […]

Unity???

https://youtu.be/pAJ4m5kMQi8

Not at this time.

Kitty and the Snake

That’s a brave cat. And interesting behavior[…]