Please post ideas for security features, mounting brackets and stands. Please include photos and designs for everyone to see.
Okay, so nobody would ever mistake me for a machinist. (Nor an electrician, carpenter, plumber, auto mechanic, etc.) I drilled a hole in a Custom1 case for the LTL-5210MM that I modified for an external antenna, doing my best to line up the hole with the exact location of the SMA connector on the cam. As the saying goes, "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades." (The pencil marks are the new ones I made after finding out where the connector really is when the cam is inside the case.) :oops:

I think I'll just expand that hole a little, getting the new opening right over the SMA connector, and then maybe fill the incorrect part of it with some sealant, maybe sandwiched between a couple of pieces of UGlu camo tape.
Any suggestions for enlarging the hole? Besides the ½" hammer drill I used to drill the original hole, I have an angle grinder, but I don't think that would be precise enough. Although it might take awhile, I was thinking something like a #941 Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stone in a Dremel tool would work, without chewing up the case any worse than I already did. Does anybody know of a small-diameter cylindrical stone or something that would work in the drill, and maybe get the initial grinding done, finishing up with the Dremel?

Just another example of "trial and error," from my Secret Basement Laboratory. :roll:
By slay
Well, some of us make things and some of us break things. You have temporarily stumbled into my reality. :lol:
I wish I could help, but I am all thumbs at this kind of stuff. Best of luck, I am sure it can be done.
A dremel should be able to do what you need. The vast amount of bits they have now. HD, Lowes and even Walmart usually have many types of bits. Me? I'd take that baby to work and put it on the bridgeport myself. Endmills do a much cleaner job than a dremel but you got to use what you got. :wink: Good luck!
A dremel should be able to do what you need. The vast amount of bits they have now. HD, Lowes and even Walmart usually have many types of bits. Me? I'd take that baby to work and put it on the bridgeport myself. Endmills do a much cleaner job than a dremel but you got to use what you got. :wink: Good luck!

With the equipment ya have at hand backroads it doesn't appear ya would be havin' to "lick that calf" again... :wink: :wink:
With the equipment ya have at hand backroads it doesn't appear ya would be havin' to "lick that calf" again... :wink: :wink:

LMAO! I've made my share of measuring mistakes! :lol: :lol:
I've used a chain saw file works faster than you think.wear work gloves with cuffs stabbing your self hurts like hell :shocked:
I've used a chain saw file works faster than you think.wear work gloves with cuffs stabbing your self hurts like hell :shocked:
Will do. I need some new leather gloves for handling the sharp end of my new Turbo Tiller 1000, anyway.

Yeah, I thought I was being real careful about measuring it, using my digital caliper and all that. Those Custom1 cases are so hard to see through, it makes it tough to get everything lined up just right. :wink: )

I don't even know if my company has a Bridgeport at the roundhouse. I'd need to con somebody into operating it for me, though.
By Ol Arky
I'm a JB weld kinda guy myself. Fill it in, sand it down and redrill.

Sounds like a winner to me... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
How about a jigsaw?
If I remember correctly, Custom1 cases are made of ⅛" steel. Maybe somebody makes a jigsaw blade that would work for that, but I don't know if we have a jigsaw around here that's up to the task. I'm pretty sure a reciprocating saw (I have a Sawzall®) would be kinda clumsy. Image

Might be better to drill a second hole and join the two unless that would make it way too big for your liking.
Yeah, and I'm about done with having the drill bit walking all over. I couldn't find a punch anywhere around here (or even find one of my old EMT pouches, to look for a spring-loaded punch), so I clamped a block of wood to the security case as a jig. I drilled that hole first, and had it lined up with the pencil mark on the case, or at least I thought I did. :roll:

I'm glad to see someone else make the same kind of mistakes that I do. :D
"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself." :mrgreen:

A round file ought to make that hole into an oval without much work at all.
Well, I know Pat works with metal (besides being a big Custom1 fan, I'm a happy customer of PM-AM Enterprises) so I think that's another good endorsement for the ol' file trick. 8)

I was thinking silicone sealant for the unwanted part of the hole, but might go with JB Weld. How do you like their SteelStik stuff?

Thanks, guys.
By T-post
Chuck uses 10ga and 12ga steel on his boxes, which equates to 1/8" plus or minus a hair (a darn stout box for sure).

A round (rat tail) file will oblong that hole in nothing flat. I'd recommend capping off the oval hole by positioning a fender washer at the correct location and glue it down with 100% RTV silicon. When you're done it'll look like it was meant to be that way....your camera thieves will be very impressed. :mrgreen:
You could try bondo to fill in the hole and just start over.Just tape a piece of plastic to one side or the other so the bondo is smooth and fill in from the other side.
I think I'd be better off getting the hole exactly where it needs to be (over the SMA connector), then filling in behind it. I like the idea of a piece of plastic or something, to keep the filler material from getting past the inside wall of the case. There's no "wiggle room" between the cam and the inside of one of those C1E cases. That's a Good Thing, but I wouldn't want to do anything that makes the fit any more snug.
I think there'll be room to slide the cam in and out of the case with a light antenna cable attached. :|

The cam with the side antenna port is filling in for another one that's waiting on a replacement battery door. I acquired a couple of good files yesterday, but forgot to see what Lowe's had for JB Weld.

https://youtu.be/WPpZcMRTjnE

Trail Cam repair question

I'll be watching, I had the same thing happen with[…]

Nice Late Season Buck

we had about 10" last month, snow showers sin[…]

Thanks for the compliment. There is a bug inside […]