Use this forum to discuss modifications to cameras for retrofitting external batteries, solar panels, and case mods not related to camera security.
By mikeinkaty
#343889 Was the current draw the same on the two bulbs throughout the test? Did you measure it?

Mike
By T-post
#343890 Yes, I measured; current draw was exactly the same for both bulbs. I don't remember the exact specs, but it was around .62 amps. I did not monitor current draw on the bulbs during the test, only voltage under load.

Open circuit voltage for the 12v battery was 12.9v, each of the 6v batteries were at 6.4 volts
By mikeinkaty
#344027 You did some thing wrong t-post.

An ampere hour (abbreviated Ah, or sometimes amp hour) is the amount of energy charge in a battery that will allow one ampere of current to flow for one hour. An ampere is a unit of measure of the rate of electron flow or current in an electrical conductor.

Connecting in Parallel
When connecting in Parallel you are doubling the capacity (amp hours) of the battery while maintaining the voltage of one of the individual batteries.
By Roscoe
#344029 Mike, I'm not sure I understand what you see as the mistake. Pat hooked the two 6v batteries together so he would have in total a 6v 9ah power source to compare to a 12v 9ah power source, both used in a 6v application. Did he not accomplish that?
By johnnydeerhunter
#344034 I think Pat did it correctly.

I've asked this question before on other forums and googled and googled and never found an answer to the question of when a battery is considered dead? If a 12 volt battery is dead for 12 volt usage at 10 volts is it still good for a 6 volt application, does it have any usable amps left. Pats test proves that it does.
By mikeinkaty
#344062 ok, the 12v, if running at 10 amps would put out 120 watts if ran for 1 hour.

The two 6v hooked in parallel with a 10 amp load would put out 60 watts if ran for one hour. E(watts) = voltage X current.

I stand corrected! :D

Mike
By johnnydeerhunter
#344192 Is there any risk of damaging the 12v battery by running it down low like that?
By michaelb
#354192 Image

This is a generic camera sold under several names.....great software options and poor photo/video quality ( not to mention 3 sec trigger) advertised as 0.2 sec trigger.
Using them around the home.
Has 9-12 volt external plug ( that does not work)
The battery tray takes 8 cells and will work on 4 cells. ( eats batteries in a month)
I am wondering if I could tap into the tray contacts and power it with a 12 volt battery? (pos from one side of the tray and neg from the other side)
I am concerned that the unit does not connect the tray in series but two 6 volt sources. ( more capacity not voltage)
Conversely, could I use one two cell LIPO ( 7.4-8.4 volt) on one side only.
What is the typical over voltage tolerance?
Obviously handling the 6.8 volts lithium AA cell pack (4 x 1.7)
For 99 cents, I can get a voltage converter up or down to 6 volts. Hoping I can do it simply.