Use this forum to discuss modifications to cameras for retrofitting external batteries, solar panels, and case mods not related to camera security.
By Mart
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new 12v SLA battery for my Moultrie D40.
Before this, I was using an old, half worn out SLA.

Now some questions.

1. Is eBay a good place to buy quality SLAs, or not?
That's probably a hard question to answer.

2. What charger should I buy?
For my old battery, I was using an automotive battery charger.
It has a 10amp setting and a 30amp setting.
I'm afraid that using one of these chargers is harmful to SLA batteries?

I'd prefer a charger that tells me when the battery is fully charged or stops charging automatically.

I do have a 6v rechargeable lantern battery for my Moultrie GW 2.1.
So it would be nice if the charger could also handle 6v SLA batteries.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
By yoderj@cox.net
SLA batteries are heavy. I'd suggest looking locally if you've got a BatteriesPlus or something similar in your area. You can buy mail order, but make sure you look at shipping charges since they are heavy.

Any 12-volt charger with a "trickle charge" or "maintenance" mode will work.

Thanks,

Jack
By HDL
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new 12v SLA battery for my Moultrie D40.
Before this, I was using an old, half worn out SLA.

Now some questions.

1. Is eBay a good place to buy quality SLAs, or not?
That's probably a hard question to answer.

2. What charger should I buy?
For my old battery, I was using an automotive battery charger.
It has a 10amp setting and a 30amp setting.
I'm afraid that using one of these chargers is harmful to SLA batteries?

I'd prefer a charger that tells me when the battery is fully charged or stops charging automatically.

I do have a 6v rechargeable lantern battery for my Moultrie GW 2.1.
So it would be nice if the charger could also handle 6v SLA batteries.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

All good questions. I was going to ask a similar question about the charger - then ran upon your post. Thanks for the information.
By CharlesL
I can not say for certain, but I think that overheating the batteries by charging them too fast shortens their life. In the applications these batteries are often used for (emergency exit lights, UPS, fire alarm system backup, etc) they are charged slowly for long periods and basically kept on the charger all the time. I found a 12VDC, 500mA wall wart in one of my bins, cut off the plug, and crimped on quick connects to fit my battery terminals. Working great so far. I did make sure the voltage was less than 13v under loaded, I monitor battery temperature, and I haven't left it unattended yet.
By yoderj@cox.net
That is the purpose of using a "smart" charger with maintenance mode. It monitors the battery, when it is charged, it cuts back to a trickle. I have a few cheap power tools with battery chargers that don't have this feature. I typically use a lamp timer to ensure I don't over charge them.
By trapper
I have one like this and like it. Link: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2909
It charges 6v & 12v, has overcharge protection, and 3 different charge modes. I have bought batteries from them also, they have lots of different capacities and dimensions to fit the space you have.
No, I don't have a stake in the company, just had good luck with them. :D
By wingbone
I have a few SLA batteries purchased from eBay and they work great. I believe they cost me about 22 bucks delivered. Heck of a lot cheaper than buying regular batteries and last a lot longer, too. I just set mine on the ground and haven't had any problems.
Sandhill crane

This is 1/2 of a pair nesting in my wetland. With[…]

I don't understand correctly:) This is video by n[…]

This is a company that has been around a long time[…]

Owl

Thats the first thing I thought of too. If it did[…]