Use this forum to discuss modifications to cameras for retrofitting external batteries, solar panels, and case mods not related to camera security.
By mike martinez
I'm looking to rig up my Cuddeback to a deep cycle trolling motor battery!! Will this work and is it alright for the camera? What should I use, alligator clips rewired to battery terminal wiring? and what's the hook up method in terms of polarity??? ANY HELP APPRECIATED!
By Dewayne
Being a RV'er batteries are something I have researched a lot.

First off your camera needs to have an operational voltage of 6 or 12 volt dc. A 6 volt camera will use 4 batteries and a 12 volt camera will use 8 batteries. I have a Leaf River IR-7SS and it takes two sets of batteries, a 6 volt and a 4.5 volt supply. So using a SLA battery is not possible.

The best batteries to use are Golf cart batteries, they have a slower discharge rate than deep cycle. The major draw back is they are very costly. The next one I would consider are motorcycle batteries. The reason I would use them is because they are small in size, so carrying them is a lot easier.

Now, for the connections. You'll need to have an access point into the camera. If your camera does not have an external power connector you'll need to drill a hole in the case or file a notch into the door frame. If you file a notch be sure it is on the side that does not have the rubber gasket in it. Either way make the access point as small as you can. I would use alligator clips to attach the wires to the battery terminals (in the camera.) This way you can unclip them and install batteries in a normal way. If you have to drill a hole in the case then you will want to install a inline male/female connector on the outside of the camera so you can disconnect the battery from the camera. I would check with a auto parts store and ask for a two wire water tight connector, remember you'll need one male and one female connector. Now for wiring up the batteries. You will run the Neg. side of the battery to the coil spring inside the camera and the POS. side will go to the non-spring terminal. As for making connections to the batteries themselves.
The Neg. side of the battery will connect to the Neg. side in the camera and Pos. to Pos. If you want to use more than one battery there are two ways for connecting them together. We are talking only battery connections. The first is series. In this case you connect the Pos. side of one battery to the Neg. side of the other batteries. When you connect batteries in series you add the voltage of each battery together to determine the output voltage, the amps (current) remains the same. The second, is connecting the batteries in parallel. In this case you connect the Neg. of one battery to the Neg. of the other battery and the same with he Pos. (Pos. to Pos.) When you connect batteries in parallel the voltage remains the same and the current doubles (this is the best way to connect them.)

Hope this helps,
By johnnydeerhunter
Being a RV'er batteries are something I have researched a lot.

First off your camera needs to have an operational voltage of 6 or 12 volt dc. A 6 volt camera will use 4 batteries and a 12 volt camera will use 8 batteries.
Hope this helps,

Dewayne, this is some good information however you have to be careful just counting the batteries a camera uses. The scoutgaurd for example uses 8 batteries but is only a six volt camera.
By Dewayne
OOPS, your right John I forgot that the SG550 has two sets of batteries.

It's two sets of 4 batteries, one set will run the camera and the second set is connected in parallel to the first, which gives you more current for a long battery life.
Sandhill crane

This is 1/2 of a pair nesting in my wetland. With[…]

I don't understand correctly:) This is video by n[…]

This is a company that has been around a long time[…]

Owl

Thats the first thing I thought of too. If it did[…]