Use this forum to discuss modifications to cameras for retrofitting external batteries, solar panels, and case mods not related to camera security.
Hi Guys,

Sometimes I go about things the wrong way and I have a learn by doing experience.

I rigged up a I590 awhile back with a 12v SLA and a solar panel. The solar panel has over charge protection and reverse charge protection built in. So I figured hook it up and let it run. What I didn't realize was that the solar panel puts out about 18V. Well it kept the battery charged at 12.5v but the extra voltage was going direct to the camera.

I fried my I590.

I did a little research and came up with this 12v regulator. It is about $4 at your local electronics store.

Here are a few pics with descriptions of what I did.

Took the solar panel outside and checked the out put voltage. As you can see it is over 18v.

Went to the electronics store and picked up this voltage regulator. It will handle up to 35v in-put
and out-put 12v at 1A. My solar panel is rated at 125mAmp out-put when charging.
So is basically a trickle charger.

Cut the wires on the solar panel and soldered them on.

After soldering the regulator on, took it outside and put the meter back on. As you can see it
is a steady 11.89v out from the solar panel. Should be plenty to keep the battery charged and not
destroy the camera.(edited in)> After I put the solar panel in direct sunlight it was reading a steady 11.95v.

Here I have covered everything in liquid tape and added a wire tie to keep the wires
from bending at the regulator.

Hope this helps and keeps someone from cooking a cam!
Som thoughts from Bill on hooking up solar panels:
The correct hookup should have been the positive lead from the camera to the positive of the battery. the negative lead from the camera should go to the negative terminal of the battery. The solar panel's positive lead should have gone to the positive terminal of the battery. The negative lead from the panel should go to the negative terminal of the battery.

With this hookup I have ran 6 and 9 volt cameras with a 12v panel. The panel will only charge the battery so much with the over charge protection. The camera is using most of what the trickel from the panel is providing, so the battery should stay topped off. If you had hooked the battery and panel in series that might have caused the problem. You were checking the panel output without load. Hook it across your 12 v battery and then check the voltage, it should always measure the same as the batteries output, this is what is going to the camera and should not ever burn out the cam.
The correct hookup should have been the positive lead from the camera to the positive of the battery. the negative lead from the camera should go to the negative terminal of the battery. The solar panel's positive lead should have gone to the positive terminal of the battery. The negative lead from the panel should go to the negative terminal of the battery.

With this hookup I have ran 6 and 9 volt cameras with a 12v panel. The panel will only charge the battery so much with the over charge protection. The camera is using most of what the trickel from the panel is providing, so the battery should stay topped off. If you had hooked the battery and panel in series that might have caused the problem. You were checking the panel output without load. Hook it across your 12 v battery and then check the voltage, it should always measure the same as the batteries output, this is what is going to the camera and should not ever burn out the cam.
The way Bill has described the hook up in the 1st paragraph is the way I had it wired up. I will put a meter on it again tomorrow with the battery. Sun is down now.

The way Bill has described the hook up in the 1st paragraph is the way I had it wired up. I will put a meter on it again tomorrow with the battery. Sun is down now.

Re-wired the panel back to normal, hooked it up to my battery. Read 12v on battery terminals and at the plug that would go into the camera. Guess I just had a bad camera :? Sorry guys, guess you can disregard my 1st post :!:
Dave when buying a solar panel you need to watch the specs on the panel it's self. On the back there is a OCV rating. This is the maximum voltage "Open Circuit Voltage" that the panel can produce in direct sun light. Good find on the regulator!!! I like the way you have your wiring done up. I hope that everyone using solar panels heeds your warnings! Also I see by the regulator it is only good for 1 amp. For a camera it should be perfect!

Yep, woodies are back.

Winter Mix

Thats a great compilation of clips and variety of[…]

pretty cool.

Sandhill crane

This is 1/2 of a pair nesting in my wetland. With[…]