Use this forum to discuss modifications to cameras for retrofitting external batteries, solar panels, and case mods not related to camera security.
By saycheese
I bought a cheap little Timberview 1.3 from Wally World the other day and the battery life sucks.It uses four C cells and they lasted only one or two days.The camera seems to do a half descent job for what it is other than eating batteries.I already gave it a fancy paint job using a stencel kit and went through all of the trouble of making nice security cables for it to.So after all that I figure that I may as well try to fix the battery problem.I really aint sure where to start.I opened the cam and it has two red wires soldered to the bottom left positve and two black ones soldered to the top right negative.Then it has another single red wire that is soldered to the bottom right positive and to the top left negative.How should I wire this and what kind of battery would ya'll reccomend me using?Thanks
By saycheese
Nevermind,I figured it out. :idea: Used a 6v sla battery that goes to a varmit light and just hooked it to double + and double - and it works.Now I just need to drill a couple holes in the bottom of the case,solder up my wires and get a couple crimp on connectors for the battery then I should be in business.Hopefully this battery will power the cam for a couple weeks or so. :wink:
By rowdyrabbit
Keep us posted on how this works out. I'm planning to try the same thing, just haven't had time.

Also, how did you rig up the security cables? That's the reason I bought these cameras in the first place. I've had 2 moultries stolen this year. Both were in an angle iron box and locked to the tree with a python cable. On one they cut the cable with a hack saw, the other it appears they cut the cable with an axe. I'm almost to the point of not even locking them up. At least that way I'm only out the cost of the camera, card and batteries and not a $18 cable too.
By saycheese
Keep us posted on how this works out. I'm planning to try the same thing, just haven't had time.

Also, how did you rig up the security cables? That's the reason I bought these cameras in the first place. I've had 2 moultries stolen this year. Both were in an angle iron box and locked to the tree with a python cable. On one they cut the cable with a hack saw, the other it appears they cut the cable with an axe. I'm almost to the point of not even locking them up. At least that way I'm only out the cost of the camera, card and batteries and not a $18 cable too.
Here you go.If you buy the crimps in bulk then they are $0.10 each and sometimes less.You don't really need to buy a crimping tool.Just use a hammer and beat them on until the crimp flattens out the cable a little.They hold plenty good enough like that.I forget what I paid for the cable but it is pretty cheap to depending on where you get it at.I use to trap a lot and always bought my cable in bulk from The Snare Shop.This is just some of what I had left over that was laying around.It's 1/8" by the way.I have mabye $1.50 to $2.00 worth of cable and crimps on this camera.Thieves can still steal it if they want to bad enough.If they do then they have thier work cut out for them getting all of the cable off of all four cable tabs without tearing the camera up.But at least if they do rob you then you wont be out a fortune.I'm like you,I don't like supporting thiefs.That's part of why I have a whole bunch of cheap cameras.Plus with the cheap cams I can afford to own a whole bunch more cameras and learn a whole bunch more about the deer I'm hunting :wink: If you buy the cable at Home Depot or some place like that then it will be higher.Another thing I did was I took some black tape and wrapped the cable real good.Mainly to help keep from geting cable splinters when carrying them around.Plus the cable don't take paint real good and the tape blends better to after you paint it.Like I said,I haven't tried out the new battery yet to see how long it will last.I doubt this particular battery will last a real long time,because it's not real big and probably has a low mah rating.I'm working on getting a bigger battery but I'll play around with this one to see how well it does while I shop around for a differant one.It has got to be a lot better than those 4 c's it did run off of though.Time will tell.I'll keep you updated on the progress.
All right :!: I'm pretty proud of myself now that I finally figured out how to post a picture from Photobucket.Never done that before. :lol:
By saycheese
I have this camera hung on a tree here in the yard right now so I can keep close tabs on it.It has been clicking like a champ for 3 days so far.That's already better than the 4 C's I tried.If I can make the camera last 2 weeks or so between charges then I'll be satisfied.I ordered two new batteries that I'm hoping will do even better.They are Powerizer 4200mah 7.2v NiMh sub c battery packs with Tamiya connectors,made for RC cars.They may wind up not being worth a hoot for this application,but we will see starting next week.As soon as I get them in and throw a fresh charge to em' I'll test them out in the woods on some critters.If neither of these batteries work then I'll try a 6v sla battery that's 12-14ah and try 'er again.

Update:
I done some checking on the 6v sla battery in the picture and found out it is only rated at 4ah.I ordered a 6v 12ah sla battery and will test it last since it's the biggest.I will update the progress on this 4ah battery daily until it gets to weak to take pictures.After that I'll test the RC batteries.I suspect that they should last about as long or a little longer than the 4ah battery.That's my theory anyways because if I understand correctly 1 amp hour (ah) of battery life is equal to 1,000 mili amp hours (mah).This stuff is all a bit confusing to me.The only thing I really know for sure about electricity is; it will shock the crap out of you if you aren't careful. :oops: Hence my trial and error method of learning here. :wink:

6v 4ah SLA battery life;
12 days

During testing,the night time temperatures were as low as 0 degrees and never got above freezing.It should last 2 weeks easy enough during warmer weather.It may even last two full weeks in weather this cold to if it's not taking a whole lot of pictures.I don't have an exact picture count because I formatted the card a couple of times like a dummy.But I figure it took 300+ pictures in those 12 days.Judging from how this one done I figure the 12ah battery should last around a month or better hooked up to this camera.

7.2v 4,200mah RC battery life;
This battery lasted 17 days

6v 12ah SLA battery life;
Right at 3 weeks.That isn't as good as I had expected but it'll do.
Last edited by saycheese on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:32 am, edited 10 times in total.
By jacktc99
i bought the twin pack of timberview 2.0's. I have wired them to 6volt SAL batteries. does anyone have a questimate on how long they will last? one is wired to a 4.5 ah and the other a 13 ah.
By saycheese
i bought the twin pack of timberview 2.0's. I have wired them to 6volt SAL batteries. does anyone have a questimate on how long they will last? one is wired to a 4.5 ah and the other a 13 ah.
As you can tell I still have no idea on how long the batteries will last.Hopefully someone else will chime in shortly about that.Where did you buy the twin pack and how much?I have been looking around for a while but have yet to find anybody that carries them.I heard Academy did but when I went to thier website I didn't see any.I looked on Wild Game Innovations,Bass Pro's,Cabela's,and Wal-Mart's websites to and they didn't have any either.I even done a web search and the only mention I found of the cameras even existing was linked back to this site.I found one Wildview 2.0 twin pack but not any Timber View's.Thanks
By jacktc99
I got them at dick's sporting goods in Toledo Ohio. 119.00 for both of them. the picture quality is good but they chewed through batteries like crazy. my friend works at a battery wholesale and got me the 4.5 ah SLA's for 5 bucks. I get alot of blank pics also and the delay is pretty long. If the animal is moving it doesnt make it in the photo. Also the package says it can hold a 2 gb scan disk. After buying 2 cards for them I couldn't get them to work. I called the company and they said they are fixing the label and only recommend a 1 gb card. It's the tailend of bow season here and haven't been able to get any deer on them. only coyotes.
By saycheese
You are getting a heck of a good deal on those batteries.For that price,I wonder if you could wire two of those batteries in paralell and make them work like that?If you can,that should double your amperage to 9ah and should allow you to run a camera twice as long as a battery that's only putting out 4.5ah shouldn't it?If that's possible then $10 worth of batteries per cam is still pretty dang cheap.
I've been using 256 and 512mb cards in mine.I bought a lot of ten Sand Disk 512mb cards the other day off of ebay and paid $1.75 each and got free shipping to.After I bought those I seen some more sell for around $1 each.The guy that is selling them all that cheap goes by the name flashman911 and he still has a whole slew of them on there right now.Mainly 256mb,512mb,1gb and 2gb cards in lots of 2,4,8 and 10.
The trigger speed on mine is pretty slow to.It trips at 2 1/2 seconds on average.I figure I'll just use these little jobs on scrapes and set them up close to good trails where I can catch the deer coming or going for a good ways.That should keep most animals in frame mabye.As far as whiteouts go,I haven't had a whole lot yet.I've only taken around 300-400 pictures with it so far playing around here in the yard.Out of those probably about 15 pictures were white outs.Those were taken during mid day when the sun is the brightest so that aint to awful bad.I am pretty impressed with the picture quality to,exept for a few night pictures that had a redish tint to them.I have a pair of 1.3 Bushnell 11-9000c's and the pictures that come out of those cameras suck compared to this one.This ones flash is a whole lot stronger to.I can't take a night picture of a deer past 10' with the Bushnells.The only thing my Bushnell's have going for them is thier wicked fast trigger speed and that's it.So far I only had this cam in the woods for a day or two before it ate my batteries.I did get a couple of slickhead pictures so I'll post them while I'm at it.
Well the pictures turn out looking pretty crappy when I post them on here.I'm not sure what's up with that.The picture I posted of the trail cam came out blury to and I took it with my 6.0 hp.It takes dang good pictures.Oh well.As you can tell I didn't set the time on the trail camera. :oops: The origional pictures actually look pretty decent so it's all good.
By saycheese
I got a few more decent pictures from that camera.Here are some of the better ones.For as cheap as they are I'm pretty impressed.I kind of jumped the gun a little and bought 7 more of these little cams off of ebay.Four of them are the 2.0's that come in the twin pack.I have half of them rigged up with externals already and will do the rest the same way here in a week or so.Hopefully they don't all crap out to quick (fingers crossed).
Sandhill crane

This is 1/2 of a pair nesting in my wetland. With[…]

I don't understand correctly:) This is video by n[…]

This is a company that has been around a long time[…]

Owl

Thats the first thing I thought of too. If it did[…]