Use this forum to discuss modifications to cameras for retrofitting external batteries, solar panels, and case mods not related to camera security.
By hungryman
Has anybody came up with a cleaver way of allowing your external battery to remain plugged in and still be able to open the door. I've thought about a slot ,but that would compromise the seal. :?

Anybody?

hungryman
By hungryman
BROWNING did you can on there cams :roll: :roll:

except , i don't have a browning.............. :D
By nincehelser
For what it's worth, it looks like Moultrie addressed this issue on the 900iXT available through WalMart.

Essentially they notched out most of the bottom of the door, exposing the power and USB ports (the usb port was moved to the bottom). They also added some little hooks that look like they were intended for cable management.

The 900iXT is practically identical in feature set to the 990i. It's also a bit cheaper.

If you want, I can take a couple photos of what they did to give you some mod ideas.
By hungryman
if i remember that is why you have batterys in the cam they take over when you unplug the other power as i said i think

don't remember you saying that....don't remember you saying anything that wasn't sarcassm.

My point was ,since this is a new camera i get into it a lot to check the quality of the pics and to verify the results of my settings , just thought it would be nice to not have to unplug the ext. bat every time.

And thanks for pointing out how wonderful the Brownings are , i'm glad that you are so happy with yours.

hungryman
By hungryman
For what it's worth, it looks like Moultrie addressed this issue on the 900iXT available through WalMart.

Essentially they notched out most of the bottom of the door, exposing the power and USB ports (the usb port was moved to the bottom). They also added some little hooks that look like they were intended for cable management.

The 900iXT is practically identical in feature set to the 990i. It's also a bit cheaper.

If you want, I can take a couple photos of what they did to give you some mod ideas.

nincehelser

Thanks for pointing that out about the 900ixt . I had no idea they had that feature. They must have some sort of adjoining "slot" that projects out (camera side) to close the gap just leaving a hole for the barrel connector (?)

No bother , as far as getting pics , sounds like something they did when manufacturing and probably something i would not be able to copy by just doing a mod. But thanks for the offer anyways.

hungryman
Last edited by hungryman on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By wewilley
h man i did not mean it that way and yes i have a browning and i dont like it its a btc3 there only good thing about it is the fast picture 6 pics. under 2 sec
By hungryman
h man i did not mean it that way and yes i have a browning and i dont like it its a btc3 there only good thing about it is the fast picture 6 pics. under 2 sec

fair enough....sorry i missunderstood your intentions.

hungryman
By wewilley
no problem what i meant was you have to have batterys in the cam so when you unplug the outside cord you still have power till you plug it back in same when set up the cam it saves your settings till you plug in the outside power
By hungryman
no problem what i meant was you have to have batterys in the cam so when you unplug the outside cord you still have power till you plug it back in same when set up the cam it saves your settings till you plug in the outside power

Yeh, i found that out the hard way and had to re-enter the time and date :) . Now i have rechargeables in the tray.

thanks
hungryman
By rgilley

That's interesting....since you have both models, do you think the Wal Mart model is newer with improvements?
By nincehelser
That's the impression that I get. In the bargain forum I wrote about a lot of the differences between the models.

The 900iXT just seems more "refined". It also has better specs with regards to battery life, longer videos in IR mode, and can take as many as 10 shots per trigger. It dropped some minor features like VGA resolution and digital zoom. It also doesn't need to be rebooted when moving between still and video mode like the 990i does.

All those little things make me think it's a bit "newer" than the 990i.
By rgilley
That's the impression that I get. In the bargain forum I wrote about a lot of the differences between the models.

The 900iXT just seems more "refined". It also has better specs with regards to battery life, longer videos in IR mode, and can take as many as 10 shots per trigger. It dropped some minor features like VGA resolution and digital zoom. It also doesn't need to be rebooted when moving between still and video mode like the 990i does.

That's interesting thanks.....maybe the 2014 M990i and the 2014 1100i will be out soon and if they have the cutaway door for the power plug, then we will know. Rick
By Pinedale

I jumped on one of these when Wally World was running a deal on it. I've had it out for about 3 weeks now in temps down to -24. I'll be able to retrieve it in a couple of weeks and am looking forward to seeing how it performs in tough situations.

and if they try and give me money - I will refuse […]

First show off this spring

If you want to hear that magical sound of spring y[…]

Three legged doe again

She doesn't look pregnant to me though. My mature[…]

I count eight

me too.