New to the forum or trail cameras? Got a question? This is the place to start. Please introduce yourself and tell us your plans for your cameras. Enjoy !
By michaelb
Camera originally could detect a rat at 20 feet. Now detects nothing until about 15 feet human size. About a 2 second delay. Used to be about 1 second ( claimed .6 sec )New batteries. ( Redneck Convent) On High sensitivity.
Unit about 3 months old.

Is this common. The lens is clean.
Will Reset to factory specs help?

Thanks
By clarkengelman
Are you testing the camera in a dark room so you can see when the ir is working? I would test it in my basement with fresh lithium batteries in it.
By michaelb
I tested it in a large closet. Appears to work ok. But can not test size and distance.
Testing at midnight walking slowly to the unit. Picks me up at 15 feet. Previously it would detect man size at over 50 feet.
I started testing when I became suspicious of no unplanned triggers. ( no critters) which are abundant. I will try the lithiums....thanks

This unit eats batteries fast so new alkaline batteries may not be a big improvement
By michaelb
The detection distance is getting shorter. Now less than 5 feet. Shutter is about 2 secs.
reset settings
removed batteries for a few mins
Set camera 3 feet above ground

No improvement.
This is a camera that was functioning normally a week ago.
Camera is used in my backyard for wildlife.

Do PIRs fail in one month of use?
By michaelb
Got some improvement
I walked slowly in a 10 foot zig zag motion
The camera picked me up at 15 feet,
Walking slowly straight at the camera sometimes did not pick me up until I was reaching for the camera.
By LibbyLA
Straight at the camera does not cross detection zones so the camera will not trigger until you are right up on it. The camera detects motion using temperature differential and that different temperature moving across detection zones.
By michaelb
Straight at the camera does not cross detection zones so the camera will not trigger until you are right up on it. The camera detects motion using temperature differential and that different temperature moving across detection zones.

Thank you. I was surprised that walking in 10 foot zig zags in front of the camera was not enough to set it off until I was 15 feet away. Previously a rat at 20 feet moving a couple feet horizontally was adequate. I am now setting my camera with horizontal movement in mind. Thank you for your explanation.
By michaelb
what camera are we talking about here? Trophy Cam ?

Redneck Convent digital trail camera.
Great specs but does not hold up.
First one died in 30 days ( would not turn on)
The replacement acted up to it's current status within 90 days
Might be the curse of sub $100 cameras
By michaelb
After a rain and you open it up, can you see any moisture inside it? or does the camera lens fog up on the inside ?

The seal is very secure. There has not been any rain here ( San Diego) A little dew in the morning. No fog in the lens.
By red sled
Sounds like you have checked the things that could be causing a problem. Your symptoms sound similar to the problems I was having with a USA Trail Camera. Couldn't keep batteries in it, wouldn't trigger on deer that another camera would when posted right next to it. Tried different settings and their suggested firmware update but that didn't help. It was so frustrating and the company would do nothing as it was just days past the return period. I eventually gave it away.

Not all trail cams are created equally. I still have a few Bushnell HD Trophy Cams working that were purchased in 2012 but I've had to replace half of them and now two more are not dependable. Some I use year-round so I figure that wears on them more than just deer season. On the other hand, several years ago I took the plunge and bought my first Reconyx... and HC600 no-glow camera. The quality of the Reconyx is definitely better, but you can buy 4-6 of the others for the same money. So I have some of each . LOL My name is Al and I'm a wildlife junkie.
3 legged doe visits again

It's been a little while since she came over to vi[…]

https://youtu.be/wpiPNRVmMzU

Bobcat's back.

bad luck this time but sooner or later, you will g[…]

Thief

I'm not sure what kind of egg this crow found but […]