General Announcements about the website, Trail Camera Reviews in progress, New cameras coming out, New Photo contests, etc
Our write up on this camera (read: this first)
http://www.chasingame.com/reviews_dlc.htm#dlccovertii

Recent updates on this camera on the main site:
http://www.chasingame.com/reviews_dlc.htm#covertii_updates

Dealing with the DLC Dead Zone Dilemma: Covert ll

We have probably spent more time on this issue than it warrants, but there seems to be an interest in how to maybe do a simple blocking of a portion of the PIR lens to bring the PIR sensing zone in line with the field of view of the camera to eliminate the dead zones. A couple more hours dealing with this and I have an answer. I did not stick anything directly to the sensor lens. I chose to operate off the case plastic around the sensor lens so not to leave any residue from the stickers that I was using. I felt that an area of about 1.5 to 2 feet on each side of the FOV of the camera would be plenty of dead zone and would eliminate the empty pictures. After a number of tries I found if you were to draw a line strait down from the inside edge of the 2nd row of emitters on each side of the PIR sensor, this would be the edge of the of the tape used to block the sensor. This proved to work very well. I do not advise sticking the tape directly on the lens because there might be a solvent in the sticky part of the tape that would react to the plastic in the lens. Check the picture as to how I did the modification. You may have to adjust the tape a little because it seems that each of these cameras were put together a little different and the PIR lens may be further to one side than the other. Doing a walk test as described in the write-up will explain the method to use this camera in the TEST mode. Good luck

Yes, that might work but it would take some time to finally find the cut off area on the lens. Just the setup we did required a couple hours of work. If the cam would work in the test mode without opening the door it would be simple, but having to tie the door back and make everything ridged makes that kind of testing very time consuming. It can be done if you are set up right.
Reason why I asked is I have this Cheap Driveway Alarm and it has a curved thing over the PIR also, and the instructions said If alarm is too sensitive and giving false too many false alarms to tape off the curved edges till the unit works to ones satisfaction.......
Not to sound like a mark for DLC..

But, just pulled my Covert II from my camp after it had been in the woods for 3 weeks in the frigid Upper Peninsula of Michigan. 3 weeks of flawless performance. The camera worked in sub-zero weather! First time I have experienced a camera working in below zero weather.

Some of my observations..

1. The camera does have a little "snow blind" during bright sunlight with the snow on the ground. Not bad, but a little. Wouldn't make me not buy it.
2. I concur with the sensor being too wide. I did the 3 shot burst and it was fine.
3. Battery performance in my opinion was great! Tested the batteries after 2000 pictures and it was near 70% of life on a volt meter.
4. Picture quality was better then Cuddeback or Moultrie.
5. IR sensor moving was almost silent.
6. Video is near perfect, best I have ever seen.

Understand...that I like this camera. But the image sensor being too wide is a huge shortfall and if you didn't have the 3 picture burst set up that becomes a huge issue. I plan on using this camera more for the video then the pictures. Set it up for 30 seconds of video and let it roll.
UP Powers,

In my opinion, the picture quality of the daytime Boly's is about the same as the Moultrie-I series.

On number 5. I think you mean mechanical filter, not IR sensor. And yes, I think it is pretty quiet for a mechanical filter design, much quieter than the Moultrie I-series.

I concur on the Boly video, it is some of the best I've seen from a still camera with video (as opposed to a video trail camera). It is very similar to the Predator video I've seen.

Thanks,

Jack
UP Powers,

With respect to setting the camera to burst mode, this could solve your issue but only if the animal is crossing or cruising by. If he is hanging out in the periphery it could just fill your card up that much faster. This camera like the Scoutguard supports up to 2GB. I have requested that they increase that limit if they could. Imagine a squirrel scurrying around out there on the ground in the far left or right.

At 3mp the average day time photo is around 1.5MB. At that size you can fit approx 1333 photos on a 2GB card. If more are night time then you can get a good many more. So depending on how often you change the card will depend and how many events you get. On 3 shot burst in the day you are going to chew 4.5MB per event in the day time and probably 40% less than that at night. A night shot is around 700 to 800K (.8MB). If all are night shots then approx 2500 photos.

Suppose then you get around 2000 3mp photos on a 2GB card with a mix of day and night, then only 1/3 are actual triggers. It would only take 700 triggered events to fill up the card. I can sometimes get that many at a feeder and its tree rats and coons that does it. I do not use burst mode as a result when looking at a feeder.

Just playing with some math here.... for perspective. On a trail situation you will probably not fill up a card unless the animals insist on hanging out in the dead zones.
Not to sound like a mark for DLC..

But, just pulled my Covert II from my camp after it had been in the woods for 3 weeks in the frigid Upper Peninsula of Michigan. 3 weeks of flawless performance. The camera worked in sub-zero weather! First time I have experienced a camera working in below zero weather.

Some of my observations..

1. The camera does have a little "snow blind" during bright sunlight with the snow on the ground. Not bad, but a little. Wouldn't make me not buy it.
2. I concur with the sensor being too wide. I did the 3 shot burst and it was fine.
3. Battery performance in my opinion was great! Tested the batteries after 2000 pictures and it was near 70% of life on a volt meter.
4. Picture quality was better then Cuddeback or Moultrie.
5. IR sensor moving was almost silent.
6. Video is near perfect, best I have ever seen.

Understand...that I like this camera. But the image sensor being too wide is a huge shortfall and if you didn't have the 3 picture burst set up that becomes a huge issue. I plan on using this camera more for the video then the pictures. Set it up for 30 seconds of video and let it roll.

That sounds very good to me on the camera UP. The sensor sensing too wide should be a pretty easy fix. I would think a little strip of tape down each side ought to do it. I know it may not seem like something the end user should need to be doing, but if this is the camera's only real shortfall, I think you may have a winner in the woods! :D

I like the WA sensing on almost any camera or setup. A camera with a quick trigger like this one does not need to sense outside the camera's FOV. I bet you will see that change from the manufacturer in the future.
Yes...IR filter...not the sensor. fingers are faster then my mouth sometimes.

The math piece on the 3 shot burst is correct! I do feel that the size limit on the card should also be increased as this would help with the videos and the 3 shot burst of the photos. Especially if you are leaving the camera out for quite a while.

I can't explain the snow blind in the pictures as I am not a photo expert. The only thing I have read is called white balance?? The pictures appeared to be slightly washed out, I showed them to a buddy and he said it was the white balance. I don't know if anyone else has experienced it. But, what I can say any other camera I have EVER owned never worked in below zero weather, so i never got the snow shots. But in the lower light conditions the pictures were perfect.

I truly don't think battery life is an issue with this camera. In my opinion this Boly Media company has set the standard for the 200 dollar camera. I know time will tell if the quality and the service is on the camera, but it truly is the best I have ever used so far.

And yes... I am still going to buy that Buckeye cam Apollo. I just hate missing out on deals.

But, I would highly suggest to anyone to buy the DLC, it has the guts of the Scoutguard, more LED's, better case, and smaller.
Actually the SG550 is smaller.

A write up on the Dead Zone fix for this camera:

http://www.chasingame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12252&start=0
Nice Late Season Buck

we had about 10" last month, snow showers sin[…]

Trail Cam repair question

Greetings all. I'm new to forum and trail cam owne[…]

Thanks for the compliment. There is a bug inside […]

Unity???

https://youtu.be/pAJ4m5kMQi8