General Announcements about the website, Trail Camera Reviews in progress, New cameras coming out, New Photo contests, etc
By yoderj@cox.net
I just think that consumers have an expectation nourished by the high volume consumer electronics market. You can buy and IPod, PDA, P&S Camera, etc; at a very low price with a lot of capability and have a reasonable expectation that it will perform for 5-10 years with no problems.

I think most consumers have the same expectations for game cameras. So far, the industry has not delivered, at least not at the $200 price point. We ask a lot of a game camera. When was the last time you had your IPOD outside 24/7 for a couple months or asked your P&S camera to trigger in 1 second or less or run your cell phone for 6 months without charging the battery?

There seem to be two industry camps, those competing on price and capability in the $200 range that sacrifice QC and BEC and Reconyx in the $450 - $650+ range focusing on camera quality.

In time, the market will grow to the point where you can get high capability, low price, and good quality, but it is not there yet. 2010? We can only hope.

Thanks,

Jack
By Roscoe
I'm not sure I'm completely buying the quality and high end cameras thing. It seems like in the last couple of months we've had two Reconyx users on here have to return cameras with problems. When you compare relative sales volumes, that may actually be a pretty high % return rate......

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:
By swnoel
I'm not sure I'm completely buying the quality and high end cameras thing. It seems like in the last couple of months we've had two Reconyx users on here have to return cameras with problems. When you compare relative sales volumes, that may actually be a pretty high % return rate......

I was one of the users of a Reconyx that was returned... it was sent back because it was stuck in low battery mode... if I'm not mistaken, I'm the only one that I'm aware of ,to return one for that problem, an isolated problem?

The problem was addressed and the camera has performed flawlessly, outdoors 24/7.

To compare this camera to some of the others, is like comparing apples and oranges, especially the ones that are sent back 2, 3, 4, or more times, without satisfaction.

I believe until these cameras are manufactured somewhere other than China, quality will continue to be an issue.
By Roscoe
Oh Oh :shock: Jacks gonna get you for that :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yes...high end camera guys are a little "touchy" I think! Almost as bad as homebrew camera guy. :shock: :lol:

Attention "High end camera guys"....please note the " :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: " and especially the " :wink: " in the other post. :mrgreen:
By yoderj@cox.net
What did I tell ya??? :mrgreen:

You arent mad at me are you Jack ?

Why would I be mad? Just cause you outted me as a QC freak? :mrgreen:

Seriously, I've got no problem with a company skimping on QC in favor of more capability for the money and keeping the price down. I just feel bad for consumers who spend a hard earned $200 on a game camera and expect the reliability they are getting in consumer electronics. As long as guys go in with eyes wide open, the low end of the market is fine.

Actually I fault the high end companies like BEC and Reconyx. I think both companies are foolish for not tracking and publishing Mean Time Between Failure (MBTF) statistics like the disk drive manufacturers do. MTBF became as well publicized as Megapixel, we would have a much better industry.

Thanks,

Jack
By yoderj@cox.net

You make a good point. As I said to Anthony, the high quality camera makers have not been as successful in marketing their quality as an important attribute as the low end guys have been at marketing megapixels.

Thanks,

jack
By swnoel
I'm assuming that these cameras and components are being built in China for one reason...cheap materials and labor cost.

The sad thing is that most people are accepting this as a normal part of doing business when buying low quality Chinese manufactured products.

I'm sure many of us can remember, that it wasn't many years ago when anything built in Japan was junk... not so anymore.

Maybe they'll be some hope for China.
By johnnydeerhunter
Almost as bad as homebrew camera guy. :shock: :lol:

Hey! I ressemble that remark! ;)

Treading on thin ice, ain't he? :mrgreen:

Yes. All mule deer. Cellular service is very spo[…]

Nice Late Season Buck

We designed the Ridgetec Lookout with a special fi[…]

Trail Cam repair question

thats great!

https://www.trailcampro.com/pages/2021-winter-pre[…]