General Announcements about the website, Trail Camera Reviews in progress, New cameras coming out, New Photo contests, etc
I am new, but will these adapt to most IR cams? It sounds as though they may. Also, will a black flash adapt to a red flash/vice versa IR, or is that a feasible question? Thanks

They are said to work on IR cameras and maybe strobe flash cameras... So far it mostly talk since none are available for testin' from what I've brrn hearin'....

:oops: OOPS :oops: I just notice the video... Looks like it works on several of the IR cameras... Sorry..... :oops:
I am new, but will these adapt to most IR cams? It sounds as though they may. Also, will a black flash adapt to a red flash/vice versa IR, or is that a feasible question? Thanks

They are said to work on IR cameras and maybe strobe flash cameras... So far it mostly talk since none are available for testin' from what I've brrn hearin'....

:oops: OOPS :oops: I just notice the video... Looks like it works on several of the IR cameras... Sorry..... :oops:

I will post some testing photos today with different cameras, hopefully.

Some limited amount will be available in US this week, the product is soon in mass production.

The black flash version (XtendIR-B) will be available soon too.
I was hoping to cover all my red IR emitters but one and have an all black flash but I hear now that it won't work that way.I too am anxious to see the results.I need the black flash to work as I have a place that needs it bad. :mrgreen: David
I was hoping to cover all my red IR emitters but one and have an all black flash but I hear now that it won't work that way.I too am anxious to see the results.I need the black flash to work as I have a place that needs it bad. :mrgreen: David

Can you explain what you mean here? What camera are you referring to ?

If your camera has a light sensor within the IR array you will need to make a hole for that. cover the rest of the LEDs up and make a hole for the XtendIR sensor cup.
Anthony.I am wanting to use it on a Stealth I540IR. This camera has a detection range that is unbelievable.It will detect pickup trucks coming into the field at 80 yards away in daylight.The IR is decent but can't see much past 35 feet.Everyone knows where the cam is located so most are avoiding coming any closer.My thought was using the Black flash extender and light ing up the distance a mite. David
The should work. As soon as I get one I will begin to perform before/after tetss using popular cameras in cluding this one - if I can find it...

Would you be planning on covering up the i540 flash or leaving it on ?
If I go Black Flash I want to cover it. On the red flash like the ones I will use on the Scoutguards I will let all exposed.David

Can you explain what you mean here? What camera are you referring to ?

If your camera has a light sensor within the IR array you will need to make a hole for that. cover the rest of the LEDs up and make a hole for the XtendIR sensor cup.

Anthony,

I think he's referring to the post below from the "Hey, what’s going on with Cuddeback?" thread:

I doubt the ScoutGuard could be perfected. But if that is what you're looking for, buy a Bushnell TC. It is Bushnell's attempt to "perfect" the ScoutGuard. However, from the problems I've seen posted, it doesn't look like they improved the component quality or QC much.

Although the UWAY flash "extender" will trigger with any IR camera, that doesn't mean it will work. The Red Blob version's performance improvement will likely depend on how well the illumination of the original camera worked. I'm guessing a camera like the SG will benefit way more than say a Moultrie I-series, but Anthony's tests will tell.

As far as the black flash goes:
- I haven't seen the price yet.
- We won't really know if it is true black flash till we see it...Remember Moultire and Predator...
- You can't just put the sensor over your red-blob LEDs and cover them to get a black flash camera. It will operate, but the illumination is only one side of the equation in black flash. The other component is the camera firmware controlling camera parameters. When a manufacturer like Reconyx or BEC builds a black flash camera, they know what the illumination does when they design the firmware to control the camera and to process the picture.

Thanks,

Jack
It looks like "time will tell" what and what not te black flash version will do but lookin' at the inside test flashIR did the red version will improve the overall illumination of the original camera's... :mrgreen:

I'm still in wait and see mode anot prejudgin' anythin'.. I sure hope it works as advertised for all ya folks that want a black flash but I've still not ben shown where ANY Strobe or red blob) flash spooks ALL deer... But that's in another post all together... :wink: :wink:
Remember, I'm not saying you can't use the black flash extender with an inexpensive red blob camera and cover the red LEDs. I'm simply saying that depending on the camera, you may or may not be happy with the flash distance.

I'm very interested to see how this product performs on an as-intended basis, extending the range or improving the pictures of a blackflash camera.

Thanks,

Jack
Yes, testing will answer the question. It is a bit more than speculation. I'd call it an engineering estimate. If they were able to produce the same amount of illumination as the red blob camera it was attached to but all in the non-visible spectrum, you would similar results to the original camera.

However, if they can produce that much illumination at reasonable battery life, they'll own the black flash marking leap frogging over BEC and Reconyx. I'll be pleasantly surprised if this is true and gladly eat crow.

If they produce a black flash equivalent to those on Reconyx or BEC, they will have inferior performance when used with a camera intended for Red Blob because of the camera parameters.

It is possible it could work with an Apollo Red Blob because BEC does do some light metering. I don't believe the other cameras do that. Especially not the $100 stealth that are being discussed.

But you are correct, the proof is in the pictures! Let's see 'em. I'm itching to buy one or two of their red blob units as soon as I see the pics with your Apollo.

Thanks,

Jack
Jack,

Certainly you have all the senses. Hopefully I can release some initial testing photos of XtendIR-B next week, not sure yet.

Both XtendIR-I and B are specifically designed to increase the flash range/degree of hunting cams in the matter of both efficient illumination and power saving. For the black flash version (B), besides the enhancement of illumination of black flash cameras, the second purpose is to convert the red-glow IR cameras into black flash by covering up the red-glow leds of the cameras.

You are right, cameras are different on parameter setting, infrared sensitivity, light-metering and etc. Each camera has their own preferences and tricks (Sorry, it's unfair to disclose them here). However, it does not necessarily mean a cheap camera will be worse on the conversion, by some big chances, it could be even better because it may skip the sophisticated light-metering procedures (the technology is more advanced but may not be more desired in this purpose) and just takes whatever it got there, the conversion MAY even better since for black flash, the most important is the illumination degree, the whiteout issue is not as severe as IR cameras as long as the object is 10 feet or so away (closer than that, all cameras, no matter cheap or expensive, will have a problem due to the strong reflection as we know)..... You see my point?

Anyway, for this discussion, it can be very long....................... :mrgreen:

For XtendIR-B, the basic enhancement bank needs more LEDs than -I for sure, that's the nature it is, it will consume MAYBE xx% (not xxx%) more power than the basic bank of -I, the flash range is going to be similar to certain popular black flash camera. When bank2 and bank3 are all on with bank1, the flash range is going to be YY feet, the overall power consumption wont' be worse than -I.
Nice Late Season Buck

He’s a beauty, and gives you something to lo[…]

Thanks for the compliment. There is a bug inside […]

Unity???

https://youtu.be/pAJ4m5kMQi8

Not at this time.