General Announcements about the website, Trail Camera Reviews in progress, New cameras coming out, New Photo contests, etc
I now have the cellular base online. I updated the review with the process I went through.

you can view the progress of the camera by watching my livecam page:

http://livecam.buckeyecam.com/lcamera_secure.php?user=lcjajjx0r&camera=1

I have the cellular base station powered by a deep cycle high cranking amps 12V battery fully charged. I will run it till the battery is dead. In order to increase my pic count I will keep a pile of corn fresh in front of the camera.

I will report on the review when the cell base battery goes dead.
I can see where it would be nice to have.I could have one hooked up at my hunting spot and when the deer arrived in daytime I could go to my stand. :mrgreen:
Only problem I would have is not being smart enough to operate it.By the way it looks like my herd of deer moved down to your place. :lol: David
I am surprised at the lack of comment on this review. Am I the only person wo thinks this is very cool ?
I think it's wicked cool. 8)
I know I envision a much different application for it than most people here do, but I'd be absolutely thrilled with a system that can tell me right away when someone's in a place they're not supposed to be. Then to know if they left the area, which way they went, and have a physical description of them for when they're standing somewhere down the street with their "Who, me?" face on? Oh, yeah. Back the paddy wagon up over here. :mrgreen:

Maybe someday, I'll have one (or more). Probably about the same time the GPRS carriers in my state have coverage maps without big blank spots on them. :roll:
I too think it's very cool! However, I am not very technically inclined. To make it simple, Anthony can you tell me exactly what I would need and the total cost for this system? I'm confused as to whether or not I would still need a PC Base for it? Is there any way to hook it up to another camera or is it only designed to work with BEC's?
A complete system consists simply of three things:

1) Apollo with wireless option (radio)
2) Cellular base station (supports up to 30 cameras on one base station)
3) your computer at home with the internet (you must have internet)

you do not need a pc base unit to operate. there are two types of bases, the pc base and the cellular base, you only need one of them.

Thats it. when you get your system, install the software (easy).

Hook up the antennas to the camera and base station. Power up the base station. power up the camera. Edit the two screens I show in the review with the information you are provided on a sheet of paper (about three steps).

Wave your hand in front of the camera and a picture will be xferred to your computer.

Optional: You can then add email recipients (type in the email address you want pics delivered to).

turn off the camera and base station, carry to the woods hang it all on the trees. thats it.

I dont think I can describe it any simpler. :D (I hope this helps)

You can only use the BuckEyeCam cameras with this base station. The key thing to remember here is that you pay a single monthly fee for the base station yet you can hook up to 30 cameras to it wirelessly. You can xfer thousands of pictures per month on the basic rate which is from $39 to $59. You choose the carrier that is supported in your area.
Yeah, what Anthony said.
Is there any way to hook it up to another camera or is it only designed to work with BEC's?
No, only a BEC device can "talk to" any BEC device. Their wireless system only works within their product line, and cams are registered to a particular base unit to prevent interference.

This diagram will give you an idea of how it works:
In the diagram, Camera 3 is using Camera 2 as a repeater, 'cause BECs can do that. :wink:
If you are using the cellbase, that is the only base you need (you do not need a pc base).

The cellbase works with any apollo upgraded with the wireless option or any orion model.
(The orion model already has the wireless option).

So basically, if you were to buy them new, what you need is the orion camera(s) kit(s) and a cellbase.

Orions come in two versions XIR (completely invisible infrared flash) and the standard infrared.

The entire system is very easy to use and setup, no matter which way you use them.
Anthony, it's not cool, it is veeerry cool. They have got the wireless thing figured out.

Now put a lens in the cams with less power. This will fix the motion blur.

Then put a repeater in the same size box as the cell base. Make it accept a 12V deep cycle external battery, like the cell base. Have a plug for a solar panel. Because the cell base could most likely be placed high and out in the open, how about a small wind turbine to help with the charging???? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Make the repeater cost $499 plus whatever you want for a charging system . :D :D :D

Let me know when its ready.............
Anthony,

I think the relatively low level of dialog on this is driven primarily by the pricing. While a step forward in the technology, it fills a pretty small niche. First, it only benefits folks who are using BEC wireless systems. There are only a few guys using these forums who are using BEC wireless system. Of the BEC wireless users, I'm guessing the subset who use a mobile camera as a base and use it simply so that don't need to physically go to the camera to periodically retrieve pictures is a pretty small subset. The rest of the BEC users already have a PC Base collecting pictures in near real-time. Those who do have a PC Base with a computer, with cell service available could simply connect the cell service to their existing PC and avoid the cost of the Cell Base.

So, I'd say this product is mostly focused at potential BEC users who live far from their hunting property, where travel costs are significant, and who have cell service but no sheltered place with power for a PC.

Before the Cell Base, a new user needed to spend about $1750 on BEC products (Orion + PC base) to get started. If you figure a PC will cost you about $500, that takes you to $2250. Of course, you need a safe dry place with power to run a PC. If you don't have one, it is not an option.

To get started with the new cell base, you're talking $850 street price for the Orion plus $2000 for the CellBase for a total of $2850. This is only about a 20% premium for potential customers who previously had no option.

While I don't think the price is all that far out of line when looked at in these terms. The high entry and recurring costs probably make this product of interest to a very small subset of Chasingame forum members.

Thanks,

Jack
Jack-The guy with the pc base with internet in a remote trailer will not be happy, heres why-

A computer is a computer, it will freeze up, lock up at times. The power at the trailer will go out or flicker/surge at times. The internet service will fail at times. All of these incidents will stop the pics to livecam & require a computer reboot or other attention, ie. trip to the remote cabin.

Also when a battery issue arises at the cam, you won't be able throttle the pics, adjust resolution, etc. to save batt until the sun comes, unless you can control the base.

I'm guessing the guy with the computer at the remote cabin also has one at home, and really doesn't use the remote computer for anything but the pc base.

The guy I am describing is you, and I think you should order a cell base tomorrow :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So here is 1 vote for a cell base for Jack..............
Although I don't have Internet service at my trailer, I do have a computer and wifi router. When I go down to the property, I connect to my trailer PC with my laptop over wifi. I copy the pictures to my laptop and delete them from the PC in the trailer.

1) The computer in my trailer has been running for over a year now with only one reboot.

2) I have a small UPS to overcome the occasional power glitch, but we pretty clean power.

3) At home, my Internet service goes in and out for a few minutes from time to time. I'm using the same wifi router and UPS setup and the reconnection to the Internet is seamless. None of my applications ever know the Internet was out except for a short delay.

4) I currently control my cameras remotely from my laptop using TightVNC. Granted, the laptop needs to be proximate to the trailer with access to the wifi router since I don't currently have an Internet service. However, I use TightVNC to control my home PC from my laptop over the Internet all the time. I use an SSH connection to provide some security when using TightVNC over the Internet.

So, in the end, the cell base buys a guy like me nothing. Rural broadband Internet would be a huge boon to me. Providing near real-time access to my BEC pictures is a fairly small advantage for me. The big advantage would be the ability for me to do some work from my trailer.

Thanks,

Jack
Nice Late Season Buck

we had about 10" last month, snow showers sin[…]

Trail Cam repair question

Greetings all. I'm new to forum and trail cam owne[…]

Thanks for the compliment. There is a bug inside […]

Unity???

https://youtu.be/pAJ4m5kMQi8