Use this forum to post questions and issues for discussion related to all HCO and Spartan cameras. Note: Please post threads pertaining to cellular cams in the "Cellular Trail Camera Discussion" forum.
By hogdeer79
#354313 I have two Spartan GoCams and both are on the ATT network. I had a squirrel chew my antenna wire on my Covert booster antenna (got him on cam). With the Covert booster antenna I got way better signal than with the HCO extended antenna. Covert antenna gave me an average of 3 bars and I feel that I got most my pics sent. The HCO extended antenna on the other had is not doing well at all, 1 bar and I am not getting but maybe 20-30% of my pics sent. I even tried just the stock short antenna and it seems the same as the extended HCO antenna. Keep in mind this cam is sitting in the same tree not moved all. The Native outdoors site where I bought the HCO extended antenna says up to 5dBi gain and they have a Covert that says 7dBi gain. Does the 2 extra dBi gain really make that much difference? On my old Covert booster antenna it had probably a 10 foot wire and the HCO one is about 6 feet. Thinking about trying the Covert booster antenna, I am pretty sure it is different than the Covert booster antenna than the one I had because my old one the squirrel chewed the wire on was the original model and the one on the Native site looks a bit different. My other Spartan GoCam is about 2 miles away and it works just fine with the HCO antenna. Both antennas now have metal piping to prevent future damage. Any thoughts?
By johnnydeerhunter
#354314 With the antennas the only thing I found is to try them. The directional antennas are great but sometimes are difficult to adjust, especially if ATT starts changing things around.
By wewilley
#354318 on my 3g spartan i tried there extended antenna i got no difference both gave me 1 bar now on my 4g camera with there flat antenna i get 3 to 4 bars camera on same tree
By johnnydeerhunter
#354323 I have seen where the amount of bars didn't increase but it helped with transmission speed and success rate. Sometimes you just have to give it a try and see.
By Ol Arky
#354328 I think I still have a couple of older covert antennas for the old code black... I never throw anything useful away.. If anyone thinks they might be of use to them just let me know... I'll sent them to you via the cheapest route...
By hogdeer79
Ol Arky wrote:I think I still have a couple of older covert antennas for the old code black... I never throw anything useful away.. If anyone thinks they might be of use to them just let me know... I'll sent them to you via the cheapest route...

I ordered the new Covert antenna already but if it doesnt seem to work I will hit you up on those older ones.
By Ol Arky
#354358 Ok. I’m not sure if they’ll work on the beer cameras but your welcome to them..
Just let me know...
By LibbyLA
Ol Arky wrote:I think I still have a couple of older covert antennas for the old code black... I never throw anything useful away.. If anyone thinks they might be of use to them just let me know... I'll sent them to you via the cheapest route...

I'll PM you. I just ordered one from Amazon but am looking for another couple.
By Anthony
#354396 For antennas ....

first of all you need to know what network the camera is designed for. then what frequency bands are required by the network and supported by your camera. Then buy an antenna that supports those frequencies. the wrong antenna will make it worse not better.

Also what bands the antenna might boost the gain on. for example suppose there is a certain frequency band that provides better coverage in a rural area and supported by both camera and network, then you want an antenna that has a higher gain in that/those frequencies.

This is all I know about it.
By LibbyLA
#354403 I'm pretty sure that antennas are not carrier-specific. Otherwise, camera manufacturers would have to have an antenna for AT&T, for Verizon, etc. They don't. Companies that sell cell signal boosters also do not have different antennas for different carriers.

Cellular antennas typically cover two frequency bands. The description below is for the Covert booster antenna.

3G/4G/LTE Antenna: Frequency: 824-960MHz, 1710-2200MHz

That's pretty much all I know, too :).

I'm running some unscientific antenna tests using some cameras with signal problems. Have several antennas to try to see if any of them do any good.
By Ol Arky
#354405 Let me make it clear that the two antennas I have are not booster antennas. They are the factory antennas that came with my older Code Black.
By Gforce
#354414 Actually the 4g Antenna is tuned to the 700MHz band, the good news is most will support 3g on the 824-960MHz, 1710-2200MHz band. But you need to check the spec to make sure you are using a compatible Antenna. Also one tuned to say only the 800MHz (like a directional) would be more effective than a universal simply by design.